Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1969 camaro bumper installation

I'm installing the front bumper on my 1969 Camaro and have managed to confuse myself. I have 4 carriage bolts - 2 short and 2 long. The short bolts are too short to extend through the uncompressed rubber grommets at the outer mounting point. The longer bolts reach through the grommets, but are too long and come into contact with the front valance. Seems like I should use the longer carriage bolts for the outer mounting points and then cut off the "extra" length before mounting the bumper on the car.

Anyone else experience this issue?
      1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

The 2 long bolts are for the outer mounts. Cut the bolts shorter if the are so long they get into the body. Bolts should be long enough to get nut on when no bushings are compressed.
      1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
      2015 Camaro Z/28
      1979 Li'l Red Express

Thanks. I ended up installing the un-cut long bolts through the rubber bushings and outside mounting brackets while bumper was not on the car. Before mounting the bumper, I cut off the extra length of the bolts. The rest was a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
      The 2 long bolts are for the outer mounts. Cut the bolts shorter if the are so long they get into the body. Bolts should be long enough to get nut on when no bushings are compressed.
      1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com