Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

71 maverick doing it all better than stock.

i have purchased a 71 maverick. it was owned by a really good friend and i helped him a lot with the build. he has moved on from this hobby and made me a really good deal on the car.
      this car is really built up.
      ill start with the car as i have received it. ill list the parts from the front and work my way to the back.

a billet grill
      a custom aluminum air dam
      an aluminum radiator
      a taurus fan
      a 331 motor
      fox mustang serpentine drive
      3g alternator
      afr 185 heads
      roller rocker arms
      rocker arm girdles
      fms aluminium valve covers
      edelbrock rpm air gap intake
      tfs stage 2 roller cam.
      moroso t sump oil pan
      hooker headers
      msd programable 6al-2
      msd blaster coil
      holley 650 hp carb
      k&n 3 air filter
      varishock 2 way coil over conversion
      aluminum fly wheel
      dual friction king cobra clutch
      g force t5 close ratio transmission
      pro 5.0 shifter
      cnc hydraulic master and slave cylinder set up
      ford high torque starter
      3" flow tech x pipe with cut outs going to 2.5" magnaflow mufflers with tail pipes.
      aluminum drive shaft
      ford 9" nodular case, daytona pinion support, billet yoke, 4.10 gears, 31 spline tracloc lsd, 31 spline axles, will wood disk brakes.
      varishock 2 way shocks
      mustang fuel tank modified with a internal hinged door sump, -10 feed and -8 return.
      holley hp 125 fuel pump
      center line 17" wheels with nitto tires.

interior
      8 point roll cage with swing out door bars and drivers side window net
      autopower 5 point camlock harness
      corbeau seats
      custom dash full of autometer gauges
      aluminum rear fire wall
      fire suppression system
      nos bottle and billet aluminum mounts
      rattle trap sound deading

thats about every thing that i can think of that is installed in the car.
      it also includes to be installed
      total control upper and lower control arms
      mega squirt 3 computer and harness
      acufab 90mm throttle body
      55lb fuel injectors
      edis dis system
      vortec t trim supercharger.

so my plan is install the above parts and some parts that i have which are
      maverickman carbon fiber cowl hood
      aerocatch flush hood pins
      wilwood front disk brakes
      up date the under dash hydraulic clutch to my custom designed firewall mounted master cylinder and pedal.
      k&n extreem lid
      ford slant top valve covers.

the engine compartment is really dirty. i will clean and detail it so i can look at it and not cringe.
      ive been a drag racer for ever but due mostly to the dragstrips closing im going to try autocrossing. the local autocross is only a few miles away so its very convenient to go to. good guys comes and has an autocross that i will enter also. i do plan on taking the car to silver state classic also. my goal is reach the grand sport class where i can run a top speed of 160 mph. i also will look into going to some standing mile races and ive been seeing the texas roll racing and may look into that some day.

so hears some pics of the car.

this is pretty much how i received it. it did have the front air dam on it also.

heres the engine compartment

this car did participate in the silver state classic in 2011 and 2012
      here its is in 2011.

and here it is in 2012

first thing i did when i got this car is clean up the engine compartment, change the hydraulic clutch from a under dash master cylinder set up that didnt have enough travel and to install a maverick man carbon fiber hood

next i install the tcp control arms and the wilwood front brakes

im taking an autocross school this weekend with the car. this is the first time ive driven in an autocross so im really excited about it.
      Attached Images Attached Images                  
      71 maverick.
      71 comet in build process.
      i work at Current Auto Performance www.currentautoperformance.com. i also build the differentials for San Diego Gear and Axle.

71 maverick doing it all better than stock.

Cool car. I've always kinda liked the Maverick...

Bryant,

That is awesome!!! Congrats!

It's cool you ended up with the car, since you've done so much work on it already.

73 Maverick Grabber Project

My never ending project:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...hlight=grabber

Like the Maverickman c/f cowl hood
      Look up topranger on maverick.to for hd tubular export/monte bar and bellybar along with his essentric kit with shelby index tool

Camaro fender to rad bars cant hurt either
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

Glad to see this car bad on the road again. You guys have done soo much with it.
      Chris

Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

today i took a scca autocross driving school. it was so much fun! i killed lots of cones! taking a 400 hp beast and trying to make it turn is tricky.
      heres video of my first run.

that was so much fun

heres another video of a better run

im hooked. i need better tires. i think im going to try competing in the cam class in scca.
      71 maverick.
      i work at Current Auto Performance www.currentautoperformance.com. i also build the differentials for San Diego Gear and Axle.

nice looking maverick.

Dale Hayes
      87 turbo t
      turbonetics t60, pet stock location intercooler, ride tech coilovers, rjc exhaust, 60lb injectors with tt chip, ported heads and intake, ported tb, baer brakes, roh 17 inch wheels....now need to finish paint and get it put back together.

Sweet! We look forward to seeing you out there with us CAMming it up! Nov 30 the we will have at least 10 cars there, come park with us and have some lunch, we bring the grill!

1973 Corvette Factory Primer Car
      1969 Barracuda Convertible
      1967 Plymouth Valiant

i have family in town that weekend but im going to do my best to get away for this.
      71 maverick.

Looking Good!!!

I enjoyed the videos. Progress is progress! I'm an ex-dragracer in blown alky dragsters. Depending on what you've been exposed to, the amount of finesse in accomplishing ones goals varies. Good luck and pick the best parts the first time.

i made it to the autocross today and ran in the cam class.

the guys in the cam class are a great bunch of guys. really nice and helpful.

so this last week i changed from a 7/8" swaybar to a 1 1/8", removed the rear traction bar links and found a broken front coil over mount and fixed it.

all of this made the car go from having a twitchy oversteer feel to an understeer feel. so now i plan on going back to the smaller sway bar and replace its polyurethane endlinks with rod end links.

i have to work on being able to properly read the autocross course. my first 2 runs i messed up the lane change element and didnt realize it.

i am hooked and plan on running the full san diego scca calendar next year.
      71 maverick.

Bryant, great to meet you yesterday, and lots of fun watching/ hearing the Maverick thunder around one of our toughest tracks of the year! Remember the Qualcomm surface is tricky, and since it was cooler yesterday, that might have led to some of the understeer. I run the biggest front bar possible in my Valiant, and then try and adjust when needed using the rear bar. Stickier front tires will also give you a clearer picture of what the front really needs. Bad tires+ slick surface = tough read on suspension setup. I am looking forward to running with you next year.

1967 Plymouth Valiant

i love the front spoiler,i might have to steal that idea for mine

Always been a fan of the Maverick. Fun little cars. Good luck on yours!!!
      1967 El Camino 408ci LSx....and the build begins!
      1967 Turbocharged 408ci LSx Chevelle - 1012 rwhp, 959 rwtq 67 Chevelle
      2009 Supercharged Silverado - On the Dyno

Quote Originally Posted by monkeystik View Post
      i love the front spoiler,i might have to steal that idea for mine
      i have it in a cad design that i can get cut out and made. the place i went to get a cost on the water jetting was really pricy. i need to shop around to see if it would be worth building for sale.
      71 maverick.

so i have been going to the autocross pretty frequently. i have started to get an understanding of what and why the car behaves the way it does. first problem tires. i was on 4 year old nito 555s. so not the best tires. i just got some falcons. just driving on the street i can tell the increase in grip. next ive been having a local alignment shop do my front alignment. its an old school shop that does it with out the computer machines. you know the old school way. they just didnt get that i wanted a handling alignment for autocross. they said that will wear the tires. the last time they aligned the car i had set all the caster adjustments to the max the had them only adjust one side to match the other. so i took the time to do my own alignment. i left the caster alone. i used an angle finder app on my i phone to adjust the camber from the 0 degrees they had it at to -2 degrees. i then made 2 toe bars that clamp to the bottom of the wheel and used tape measure to set toe. i set it to 1/8" toe in.
      next thing i was experiencing was a whip effect in the rear end. i believed that my rear leaf springs would deflect badly to the side in a turn and when i would straighten out and apply power the rear would want to whip back the other way. so ive made a pan hard bar. thank you to ron sutton for the guidance with the design. here are pics of the pan hard bar

view from the bottom. you can see the slider tube coming down from the frame with the gold slider clamp . also note the tube reinforcement brace. i ran it to the fuel tank support. you can also see how the slider box clamps onto the differential.
      Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 2813
Size:  51.8 KB

Here you can see the slider box clamped to the differential.
Views: 2783
Size:  75.5 KB

another angle of the slider box.
Views: 2784
Size:  74.4 KB

here you can see the tube slider. i ended up with a limited amount of height adjustment. going down it will hit the leafspring and going up it will hit the exhaust. i would say i have about 2 to 3 inches of adjustment for roll center.
Views: 2773
Size:  80.1 KB

heres a pick of the slider bar bracket and rod end. Ron Sutton sells these at a really good price.
      Name:  IMG_3787.JPG
Views: 2747
Size:  54.5 KB

heres a different view of the axle clamp slider box assembly.
Views: 2791
Size:  46.3 KB

and another, note the first attempt at a light weight pvc pan hard bar!
Views: 2754
Size:  35.0 KB

heres my good buddy Mike welding the the tube slider to the frame. check out our cool stands. the car goes up on the hoist then we have 4 wheel stands that are about 5' high we set the car down on so the suspension is compressed at ride height. also you get a good look at the brand new falcon tires on the car.
Views: 2764
Size:  64.8 KB

here is the slider tube. if you look above the exhaust pipe you can see where we welded the tube to a plate that we shaped and welded to the floor and frame rail.
      Name:  IMG_3788.JPG
Views: 2762
Size:  47.5 KB

another view of the slider tube that you can see the frame welding.
      Name:  IMG_3789.JPG
Views: 2804
Size:  51.6 KB

now the car feels glued to the street. this weekend get to test it out at the autocross.
      71 maverick.

Looking good Bry.... Excited to see it in action Sunday!

1967 Plymouth Valiant

falkens are my favorites- rt615k's at least. Those will be on my mustang. IF the alignment shop will not do what you want- time to find a new shop. My old one did it the old school way and every time i would go the price was a $100 more than the previous. Finally found someone who is awesome and not gouging me too. Love the maverick- i could have had one for my first car- had it all lined up then my dad comes home with this beat up 79 mustang. Changed history forever.
      "Racing is life. Everything else is just, waiting"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com