Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Auto Rod Tech's metal shaping and fabrication thread

We tend to do a fair amount of fabrication projects and now some metal shaping projects, which tends to be all forms of work we can offer to people. But I have found it hard to post in here due to the fact that a lot of it is not Pro-Touring related, even though the same skills can be used in the pro-touring world.. So I decided to start this thread here to perhaps show some of the things we do which could open up some future project possibilities with pro-touring cars..

This first post is of a Porsche 550 Spyder fender I created recently in a class for metal shaping.. I will be adding more over the next few days but it is getting late and tomorrow is a long day.

Country Flag: Canada
      Wow! Can you give us a few step by steps to show how that was made? Very nice craftsmanship.

This one will be a tough one to give to many details on because I didn't take a lot of in progress pictures, I have a few on my phone I will upload soon.. But I started out with shrinking the perimeter with a stump type fixture and stretched the center, which is the results of the first few pictures.. You can see the V's drawn on the panel and that is the area that I shrunk.. If you just stretch everything it will get to thin.. Many do it that way but I like to see that the metal integrity is kept..

The pictures in my phone are of the edge rolling, that may be interesting for some of you to post.

Here's a picture of the Chevelle we are doing currently in the shop.. The metal work on this was just normal panel replacement but in the second picture you can see we did a custom trans tunnel for a little more clearance.

This picture is of a frame we are building for my personal project.
      I think falls under the fabrication category.

I have quite a few more pictures to post but this is the last one for now, I have a cross-member to build.
      It's a tool I built to replicate the function of a Pullmax machine. I based it off of someone's plans and purchased a lot of the machined parts from the guy.
      We need to get a Mill and Lathe in here then we will be able to do just about anything.

I will post a picture of one of the parts I made using this machine.

Next time I go out to Michigan to visit the in-laws I'm going to sneak out and swing over! Amazing metal work on the fender.

What area are they from?

I believe Grand Rapids. My mother-in-law grew up in Kalamazoo.

Not really to far then.

Normally I try to get out of such occasions(Thanksgiving, random weddings), but now I will just go and sneak away!

Metal shaping is one of those things you can explain to someone all day long, but getting the feel of it is a whole different story. Hard for the average person to comprehend how something that starts out looking like a beat up pile of lumps can come out so beautiful in the end.

Nice work , as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch_04 View Post
      Normally I try to get out of such occasions(Thanksgiving, random weddings), but now I will just go and sneak away!
      Completely understand that!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      Metal shaping is one of those things you can explain to someone all day long, but getting the feel of it is a whole different story. Hard for the average person to comprehend how something that starts out looking like a beat up pile of lumps can come out so beautiful in the end.

Nice work , as usual.
      It's MAGIC!!!!! Sometimes myself I have to stop and sit back and take a look at what I'm doing when it comes to stuff like metal shaping.. It really is a art and I am really impressed by those that do it for a living!! Unfortunately very few people really understand what it takes to make a panel.

Here's one of my english wheels modified to take a soft upper wheel, and using it to roll a wheel tub, you can basically do this instead of using a slip roller.

Here is a die I made for the reciprocating hammer and a part that was created by using it.
      You can see some trial and error pics as it took a few times to figure out how much pre-stretch the part needed before running through the machine.

Here's some scratch built floor pans for my truck.. Which is the green one in the post above.

Worked on the press brake some today.. It's not finished but it is use-able now.

I've been working on building a door skin and inner door shell a little over the last week or so..
      Here's a few pictures.. I still have a lot to do but it's off to a really good start.

Awesome work. You have any images of bead rolling you've done?
      Ahmad B.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com