Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

VSS and Reverse lockout silenoid wiring t56

When I first started my LS swap, I was using a complete standalone transmission setup. I am assuming I can wire the reverse lockout into the ECM once I locate which connector on the ECM contains these functions? Since the reverse lockout works on speed, does the VSS need to be wired into the controller? Also, if I wire the VSS into the ECM, will it be difficult to connect my electronic speedo into this setup? I'm also assuming that I will need to have the ECM flashed to manual?
      Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

THanks
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Well I found the connector locations for the 2 sensors which leads me to believe I can wire them back in and would be all set with a new flash.

Chris--

Which PCM/harness are you using? I am using the GMPP LS3 harness (E67) and it included the VSS plug. I did add on the reverse lockout wiring (not hard to do), you just need a wire with the correct PCM pin to add it. For the RL circuit, you have to have 12v ignition power one one side (of the plug) and then the PCM transmits the "ground". Mine works great.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      Which PCM/harness are you using? I am using the GMPP LS3 harness (E67) and it included the VSS plug. I did add on the reverse lockout wiring (not hard to do), you just need a wire with the correct PCM pin to add it. For the RL circuit, you have to have 12v ignition power one one side (of the plug) and then the PCM transmits the "ground". Mine works great.
      Thanks. The harness is from the TBSS where the motor was pulled. It has the E67 controller also. Because I was initially doing an Olds 455 with stand alone 4l80e, the VSS was included with that harness. Not thinking I would ever need it, the truck harness was stripped of any VSS connections.
      I found the pinout for the RL to be C3/8 and the VSS to be C3/66 and C/67. If I understand correctly, it doesn't matter which wire for the VSS or the RL go to either location, as long as they are both connected?

Chris--

Either way, the computer should get a VSS signal. It's important that the computer know the car is moving. There should be a speedometer wire (there is with Gen III computers) that can be connected to an aftermarket programmable speedometer.

I connected my reverse lockout to the brake switch. It works pretty well but I'd rather have it locked out with speed by the computer.
      1970 Chevelle: 6.0 L96, T56, Strange 9 Inch, Ridetech Coilovers, Wilwood brakes

1978 Firebird: 6.0 LQ4, T56

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

Quote Originally Posted by David LaBuda View Post

I connected my reverse lockout to the brake switch. It works pretty well but I'd rather have it locked out with speed by the computer.
      I initially did that. I found it energizes the solenoid too much and I'd go to down shift coming into highway exits and hit rev instead of fifth. I added a n/o momentary switch just under the dash.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      I initially did that. I found it energizes the solenoid too much and I'd go to down shift coming into highway exits and hit rev instead of fifth. I added a n/o momentary switch just under the dash.
      My ECM has an auxiliary output which triggers high above a certain MPH and TPS position. I will use the VSS output into the ECM from the T56. My plan is to then set the auxiliary to trigger when TPS is more than "0", and the mph is more than "4" and send this output to a normally closed or switch over relay. When "on" it will open the relay and drop the voltage to the T56 reverse lockout solenoid. I will either do this or have two relays in series such that the voltage to the solenoid is only applied below 4 mph and when the brake switch is on.
      Michael Mosley
      1968 Barracuda
      Plano, TX

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...in-Plano-Texas

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      I've had the same problem.

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

I use this module, which works great, especially for retro-fit when adding the pins to the ECM isn't so easy.

http://www.wirebarn.com/T56--TR6060-...low_p_470.html
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      I use this module, which works great, especially for retro-fit when adding the pins to the ECM isn't so easy.

I have also used this on my T56 setup. I did find that I was unable to power both this module and an electric speedo at the same time, but I just got a GPS speed sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by carguy502 View Post
      I have also used this on my T56 setup. I did find that I was unable to power both this module and a electric speedo at the same time, but I just got a GPS speed sensor.
      Any idea why?

JP,

Did you run into a similar problem?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Any idea why?

JP,

Did you run into a similar problem?

Andrew
      I am afraid I have no idea. I tried splitting the VSS signal wire, Switching wire positions, etc. I could never get the speedometer to read when connected to the module, but the module always worked. It *might* be related to the gauge itself (New Vintage 1969 series), however, the guage works flawlessly with a standalone signal source, so I do not think it a defect.

Don
      Last edited by carguy502; 12-12-2014 at 07:33 PM. Reason: clarification

Nice module.... I'm going to see if I can add the pins to the ECM first....

Chris--

I have also used this on my T56 setup. I did find that I was unable to power both this module and an electric speedo at the same time, but I just got a GPS speed sensor.
      I'm not sure what you mean by an "electric" speedo. I use an Auto Meter speedometer that uses the VSS signal coming from the ECM. No issues at all.
      John Parsons

I'm not sure what you mean by an "electric" speedo. I use an Auto Meter speedometer that uses the VSS signal coming from the ECM. No issues at all.
      Simply referencing a speedometer that does not use a cable input, as my T56 has no cable provision. I have an EZ-EFI ECM that does not use a VSS in any form, your solution would not be an option for me.

I am curious, though. Is the ECM powering your speedometer and the reverse lockout module from the same wire?

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don
      Is the ECM powering your speedometer and the reverse lockout module from the same wire?
      No. I use the box mentioned above for the lockout module, and the ECM for the speedo. I did have to split the VSS signal to send it to both boxes.
      John Parsons

John that worked well for you? I might consider that next time I do some interior wiring work.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Scott: works great. Lockout module works as advertised, and running the VSS through the ECM gives the ability to calibrate the signal sent to the speedometer.
      John Parsons

anyone know which is the vss reference and the vss signal wire for the gmpp kit using the t56 magnum?

Quick update, I was able to add reverse lockout function using HP Tuners. I had set the transmission program to manual but I still wasn't getting anything to the solenoid so I sent an email to online support. They sent me a customized 2.25 beta version of the vcm editor with the option to turn on the reverse lockout solenoid. I just used the pinout from an 04 vette to figure out the wiring. It works great and I can set when the solenoid engages and disengages just like it was a factory option.

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com