Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

My 68 Cougar Pro-Touring / Resto-Mod Project

I've been working on this project for some time now . This project started when my brother in-law gave me this Cougar that he'd owned since 1969 . He took it off the road approx. 20 years ago when it started running rough and he couldn't seem to figure out why . The guy I sold the pure stock 289 to for $200 informed me that there was a hole in one of the piston tops . I've torn it down to a bare shell and have been repairing any rust damage that I have found , which has been found in the rear quarters and front torque boxes. I have replaced the complete stock front suspension with A TCI front suspension kit including cross-member , tubular upper and lower control arms , ridetech coil-overs , power rack and pinion , sway bar , 2" lowering spindles , and Wilwood disc brakes . I've installed a Detroit Speed mini tub kit , sub-frame connectors , and rear torque boxes . I plan to install the Detroit Speed Quadra-Link rear suspension when I have the $$$$ . As for the power plant I have installed a GM 6.0 LQ9 LS motor and a 4L65E transmission . I've set the motor back as far as I could without getting silly , that being said I've modified the firewall and have fabricated a whole new trans-tunnel . I've had to do some minor body work . My recent project has been replacing the rear tail-light section sheet metal and welding in a 68 Shelby Mustang tail-light panel. I've always thought that the Cougar tail-light looked really heavy on the eye. Pictures to follow .

As promised
      Attached Images Attached Images          

Name:  IMG_0268.jpg
Views: 9706
Size:  139.6 KBName:  IMG_0270.jpg
Views: 9445
Size:  228.5 KB

I've just about finished grafting in the Shelby taillight panel , a little more sanding to do. Here you can see what I mean about the Cougar taillight assembly being heavy on the eye compared to the Shelby piece.

Nice project. Looks like you have a quality car to start with. Why not a Ford engine? Looking forward to the build thread. Keep the pic's coming.

Country Flag: United States
      Nice to see another Cougar being built!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Poirier View Post
      Nice project. Looks like you have a quality car to start with. Why not a Ford engine? Looking forward to the build thread. Keep the pic's coming.
      Thanks , ya , the car is very solid . The floors are just like the day it rolled out of the factory . As for why not a Ford engine ? , I have nothing against Ford power but it all came down to $$$$$ .I've owned a 88 5.0 Mustang in the past , so I've been there done that . A mod motor or a Coyote engine , too much money but for different reasons . A Coyote cost too much to start with and a Mod would cost too much to unleash the same amount of power plus I just want to play with a LS engine .

Country Flag: Canada
      Hello to a fellow BC'er Welcome to PT!

Loving the build, keep it up. Nice to see some more Cougars on this site, regardless of motor

That tail panel is going to look awesome.

Thanks guys . I realize that putting a Chevy in a Ford is going to ruffle a few feathers but I'm OK with that , I'm not the first . Check out all the 32 Fords at your next car show / rod run , you'll see what I mean .

Its looking good. Nice work.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Name:  IMG_0282.jpg
Views: 8841
Size:  160.1 KBThanks Wayne . I thought that I'd start on the rear valance today . My plan is to combine the stock piece and again a 68 Shelby piece . Originally I was just going to graft in the exhaust cut outs but when I stripped down the original valance I found lots of filler . From the back side I could see that there was a crease and filler poking through a half dozen holes ( lazy body man ). I believe that I can get the Shelby piece to work , it's going to take some metalwork but hey I've got the time and material . Also by using the Shelby valance it has the license plate mount , the Cougar had the plate between the taillights which I lost by going to the Shelby taillight panel.

Well I put the Shelby valance under the knife today and it looks like it's going to work out fine .

I got the valance all figured out and I'm very happy with it . I installed the rear bumper , fender extensions and trunk lid just to get a look at things . Next job is to get the bumper to fit better , it's twisted and the top and bottom sides is in need of straightening out . Bumper jack damage I presume . The bumpers will be painted body color .

subscribing! to steal some ideas for my cougar. That cougar is a solid car to begin with! Kudos on a nice find and using cougar! I can't wait to see it finished

A brown truck brought me a box from Amazon , Kooks stainless headers built for a 2010 Camaro SS . They fit between the rails BUT I'll have to build new motor mounts AGAIN for the third time and the steering shaft is going to be fun as well .

Very cool!! I am installing a shelby style gas cap in the stock location and will also have to move the license plate,.. and now I know what to do!! thanks for the help, lol. I think I am going to have to "notch" the underside of the bumper to get the license plate to sit where I want it though. Man those lights are going to look sharp. Subscribing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chev Korbin View Post
      Very cool!! I am installing a shelby style gas cap in the stock location and will also have to move the license plate,.. and now I know what to do!! thanks for the help, lol. I think I am going to have to "notch" the underside of the bumper to get the license plate to sit where I want it though. Man those lights are going to look sharp. Subscribing!!
      Thanks , the underside of the bumper will need to be modified not only for the plate to sit in the correct (to me) spot but also for the license plate light . As for the gas cap I'm leaning towards using a piece from ridetech .

I love the Cougars. A '68 Cougar taught me not to pinch the exit of a corner...fortunately a rear bumper and gas tank were available in the local junkyard.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

I just re looked the pictures. I like how you had some badass cougars from google print to motivate or inspire you. That s how I would have done it too! two thumbs up! I will have it up in my garage and maybe your finishing cougar will be up there next!

Do you have any other pictures of how that valance fits, any straight on shots? how much trimming/ modifying did you actually have to do? Have you test fit the lenses yet,.. you should so we can all partake of the awesomeness, lol!

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com