Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by frojoe View Post
      Wicked progress! I did something similar with stainless exhaust on my Nova last year..

Attachment 163515
      Nice exhaust, eh? :-)

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by langleylad View Post
      Thanks ,That would work but I have a feeling that they're going to run a line up front to the intake .

I've bent up a hard line to run up under the package tray and then down through the floor . There I will run it through a vapor canister .

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/151254766925....N41.S2.R1.TR1
      I have been following your build with interest.

I think the unit you have is a canister filter and I would be interested to know if the filter has charcoal in it.
      In this pdf,http://mellens.net/mazda/Mazda-Miata...ion_system.pdf on page 5 onwards it mentions how it connects to the large charcoal cannister via a leak detection pump.
      I am looking for a suitable charcoal unit for 66 Mustang convertible. I welded a AN fitting to the top of the tank fill neck and intended to run a hose with a Tanks Inc inline rollover valve, but I like the way you vented the tank, to above the axle. The unit you have is a great size.
      On another car which just had a vented cap, the garage would smell of fuel especially on a hot day. For that car I used a Toyota Supra charcoal cannister but I did not use any purge valves etc. Just the vent hose via a rollover valve to the cannister and no smell. I would like to use something smaller and that Mazda inline unit looks good.

Has anyone used one on a car or given it a shake to listen for the charcoal inside?

I was hoping to have reached a milestone this weekend and start this thing up for the first time. But it wasn't to be. I downloaded a file into the Dominator , which in turn activated the fuel pump and pissed a gallon of fuel onto the shop floor. That's correct , yes a loose fuel line fitting. I should have checked each fitting to see if they were tight but I didn't. I found a few other little leaks also. After laying on the floor and looking at the stainless lines that I had bent up and installed. Which to tell you the truth I wasn't 100% happy with for my own picky little reasons , I decided to yank it all out and replace with stainless braided line. So I ordered 20' of line and fittings. The lines will be run from a pair of bulkhead fitting up front to just in front of the rear passenger side rear tire were the fuel filter is plus a bulkhead fitting for the return line. I'm keeping the stainless hardlines from there back to the tank.

Been lurking for a while, but love the build! If you are going with braided line, make sure you consider something like Earl's Vapor Guard. Simple braided line will weep overtime and you'll get that gas smell back. The Vapor Guard line won't. Made a huge difference on my 67 Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt67 View Post
      Been lurking for a while, but love the build! If you are going with braided line, make sure you consider something like Earl's Vapor Guard. Simple braided line will weep overtime and you'll get that gas smell back. The Vapor Guard line won't. Made a huge difference on my 67 Mustang.
      Thanks man ! great info . I just reordered .

Name:  87198E62-4E5F-4318-9BEE-24F375DD2F3D.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  258.4 KB
      Name:  9DD7BDD2-415C-4CDD-9CF7-A76D437D7369.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  329.5 KB
      Name:  BD6E580B-5590-4EBD-B3C3-193083BCDD62.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  250.0 KB

With some advice from Andrew I made a vent canister for my Cougar out of a small stainless Thermos and two fittings. Install the fittings in the cap and mount it upside down and you have a canister for all of $25. To vent the can outside of the trunk I removed the fender extension and found there was enough room for the hose to come out and the valve to be mounted. Once it’s all buttoned up everything is hidden from plain sight.
      Tracey

With some advice from Andrew I made a vent canister for my Cougar out of a small stainless Thermos and two fittings. Install the fittings in the cap and mount it upside down and you have a canister for all of $25. To vent the can outside of the trunk I removed the fender extension and found there was enough room for the hose to come out and the valve to be mounted. Once it’s all buttoned up everything is hidden from plain sight.[/QUOTE]

I take it that you filled the canister with charcoal ?

Quote Originally Posted by langleylad View Post

I take it that you filled the canister with charcoal ?
      It doesn't have to be. The point is that as gas vapors escape the tank (gas vapor is lighter than air) it will simply collect inside the canister. Once the car is driven and gas levels inside the tank go down, the resulting suction will draw the vapors back inside the tank. Should temperature get below the vaporization point of gasoline, then the liquid gas flows back into the tank. The hose from the tank to the vent is flush with the canister bottom, so liquid gasoline flows back easily. The vent line in the canister has an internal "stand pipe" that goes from the bottom of the canister to about an inch from the top. Pretty simple and effective solution.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      It doesn't have to be. The point is that as gas vapors escape the tank (gas vapor is lighter than air) it will simply collect inside the canister. Once the car is driven and gas levels inside the tank go down, the resulting suction will draw the vapors back inside the tank. Should temperature get below the vaporization point of gasoline, then the liquid gas flows back into the tank. The hose from the tank to the vent is flush with the canister bottom, so liquid gasoline flows back easily. The vent line in the canister has an internal "stand pipe" that goes from the bottom of the canister to about an inch from the top. Pretty simple and effective solution.

Andrew
      Gotcha !

Andrew
      Yea, what he said. Lol
      Tracey

This weekend I installed the headliner , interior "opera" lights and side glass weather stripping . Tomorrow Fedex will be dropping off my Summitt order ( fuel line and fittings ). So I should have that installed soon . It's coming together .

Name:  01a9a46e25394c426877230ecb43a07f63a098266a.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  151.3 KB

Moving along , recently I installed the rear quarter glass , Earl's vapor guard fuel line , and today I bled the brakes. Tomorrow I plan on installing the windshield .Those of you that are into this model 67/68 may have noticed the trim piece that runs along the top of the rear fender in front of the quarter glass. This piece is normally chrome and connects to the drip rail chrome trim. As I'm not using the drip rail chrome trim , I had to modify the piece in front of the side glass. It's these little things that can drag a project on but I think that the juice was worth the squeeze.

Name:  0148e201ef48825c5b86a55bb049d2ffcc0d825226.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  199.7 KBName:  0106ad7ab7774f1725a22a260d4355f1c8267aa31d.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  166.9 KBName:  01686f18df75f709090fde089f9f471177b1f3aa72.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  141.1 KB

Nice job on the fuel line.

On your vent canister, did you use o-ring fittings or how did you secure them into the canister? I like the solution!

How close are you to starting? Do you have a tune yet? Want me to do a starting tune?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt67 View Post
      Nice job on the fuel line.

On your vent canister, did you use o-ring fittings or how did you secure them into the canister? I like the solution!
      Thanks , the fuel tank vent canister is just a simple slide on rubber hose and clamp set up. No need for anything fancy it's just a vent , no pressure.

How close are you to starting? Do you have a tune yet? Want me to do a starting tune?

Andrew
      Very close Andrew , I opened a GCF and entered all of my info and saved it. Then I loaded it into the Dominator , that's when it activated the fuel pump and poured fuel on the shop floor (loose fitting). If there is anything you could add then by all means fire away. I appreciate the offer.

Mike

Dodged a bullet today. Yesterday I noticed that the odometer on my Autometer speedo was lit up , but the key was off. The gauges are on 12v switched power , something is wrong. Also when I would turn the key to on , the fuel pump didn't turn on. But some times it would , must be a problem with the ignition switch (new) I'm thinking. So today I thought I'd check things out , I connected the battery , odometer is still lit , turn the key , pump starts , engine starts , runs great , runs for 5 minutes with no problems , turn key to off , doesn't turn off , disconnect battery , still running , disconnect fuel pump , runs for a minute then runs out of gas . I look through my wiring diagrams and check things out. Gauge power comes from the fuse block , I pulled the gauge fuse and the odometer turns off . It's got to be the switch. I turn the switch to see if the pump turns on , it doesn't. I check the wiring on the switch , seems fine. Turn the switch again , it comes on and the engine starts. Runs great , turn the switch to off and it continues to run. Disconnect the battery , still runs , disconnect fuel pump power at the tank , it sparks and a fire starts . There must be a small leak at the bulkhead fitting at the front of the trunk. I **** my pants and grabbed a fire extinguisher and put out the fire. Two short blasts can make a hell of a mess but so can fire. Not a big fire but enough to start a big one and scare the hell out of me. No damage done , just some burnt trunk pant . Which I've already repaired. It must be the ignition switch ... correct ?.

Never disconnect the battery when the engine is running. The alternator uses the car battery like a huge capacitor and without that capacitance there will be huge voltage spikes upwards of 100V on the electrical system while the alternator is turning.

I don't think the fuel pump will turn on every time you turn on ignition power, if the fuel pressure is already high then there is no need to turn on the pump.

It sounds like your ignition switch is working but I think you may have constant power connected to ignition power, possibly at the engine's ECU, since the engine doesn't want to turn off and I think this voltage may be making it's way back to the odometer speedo.

Where is the red/white wire from the Dominator connected?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Where is the red/white wire from the Dominator connected?

Andrew
      Switched 12v

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com