Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Vintage Glass problems

Ok, so about 2 years ago I bought a complete smoke tinted glass kit for my 67 camaro from vintage glass out of Lawrenceville, GA and picked it up at the Moultrie Car and Part Swap in Moultrie, GA. I wasn't ready to use it at the time, so like I an idiot, I didn't open the package to inspect it (kept it in the bubble wrap so I couldn't possibly break it somehow). Took the car down to Brian at Screamin Performance to have it installed, opened up the package and great...68 glass instead of 67. Of course it was 2 years old so so they wouldn't do anything about it. Now Brian is trying to install the rear glass and it won't fit (too wide). Brian tried fitting it in another camaro and it was too wide for it too. Called the company and they said that the measurements were in their "tolerance" range. We're not off by much, any suggestions on how to narrow it down to get it to work? They recommended sanding it down, but no shop will do it.

1967 Camaro RS/SS - Project "Skunkworks" in Progress...

Vintage Glass problems

We had the same problem with the same glass they told me the same thing. We tried their "sand down" method and the glass BLEW UP!! Don't do it, just move on and buy new rear guess from a reputable supplier that actually fits. Seems to be a common problem with their glass

Thanks for the reply. What company did you use to fix your problem? I'm just concerned about the tint matching the rest of the glass by using s different company.

Vintage Glass problems

Couldn't get another"smoked" tiint from any other quality supplier so we went with a clear one from Denny's Camaro and had it tinted at a local tint shop

Ok, thats what I'll have to do then. Thanks bud for the information. I feel better now know that I'm not the first person or car that has had problems with vintage glass.

Quote Originally Posted by 69pressurized View Post
      Couldn't get another"smoked" tiint from any other quality supplier so we went with a clear one from Denny's Camaro and had it tinted at a local tint shop

Anyone have any experience with Sanders Reproduction Glass? I have a full set from them for my car. Side and rear glass is 15% grey. Looks spot on, guess I could test fit or measure it to be sure. I am pretty sure they will make glass for a Camaro since they made glass for my car.
      Michael Mosley
      1968 Barracuda
      Plano, TX

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...in-Plano-Texas

I talked with Brian today and he is going to order a clear glass from a local company down in Titusville and we are going to tint it to match. Hopefully this post will come up on a search for anybody else looking at buying Vintage Glass to save them from making a mistake.

That sucks I have a set of smoked glass that Prodigy used to sell it was bought years ago I hope it was not from Them.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Can't you just order glass from someone like PPG or Safelite?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Can't you just order glass from someone like PPG or Safelite?
      Maybe for a Camaro... but I know for my car Sanders was the first company I found in the last 26 years that sells more than a windshield or vent window glass. Safelite doesn't even have the tape to install the side windows on older cars and they were not interested in talking about installation on older cars either, they are all about quick and easy insurance money.
      Michael Mosley
      1968 Barracuda
      Plano, TX

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...in-Plano-Texas

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com