Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

T-56 stuck in reverse

Tried to take the car on its first road test today. Got 2.5 miles from the house and stalled the car. When I got it started again, it went backwards in neutral. I had to drive 2.5 miles home backwards. About 1/4 mile from home it went back to normal.

I did hear some grinding when I coasted to a stop before the problems started. Anything I should do or check from the outside before I decide the trans needs to come out?
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Country Flag: United States

T-56 stuck in reverse

Well, figured out what happened in there. The output bearing failed. I’m guessing that pushed the reverse forward into the synchro and engaged reverse. Can’t say I know why it happened. Fluid came out the fill plug when I took that off and I got just under a gallon total from it.

The bearings were still all contained in the race and I don’t see any damage to and gears yet. The inner race from that bearing is stuck on there however right now so I’ll have to figure out how to get it off.
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com