Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Optima battery...opinions

I just put nice polished Fesler fender braces on my 72 Camaro and now that ugly stock battery is right underneath them. So I am would like to either move the battery to the trunk OR get and optima battery with one of the nice polished trays to hold it.

I assume I would want a red top...but looking for input from those who use them as if your pleased with them.

Thanks.

optima batteries have worked for me for many years. I only use the red top batteries in my race cars and my trailer. I have a two battery system in the trailer. I had an Optima battery last as long as 12 years in my 90 1LE Camaro. The key thing is never let the battery drain down over a period of time. If your car's electrical system has a draw on the battery, such as an ECM, when it is setting for a period of time of a month or two, you need to keep the battery charged up. This is the case with any battery but, it is very important for the Optima Battery to last a long time.

One method for the longevity of an Optima Battery, is use the Optima 1200 Battery Charger to charge/condition/maintain your Optima Battery.

No, I do not work for Optima nor am I a salesperson. I am just responding to your posting regarding the experience I have had with optima batteries. Yes, I have had a couple of failures with optima batteries. Thank god they were within the warranty period. The failures were the result of letting the battery to drain down with something drawing the battery down and/or not keeping the battery charged up and the battery was at a dead state.

Apparently, the Optima Charger has the ability to recover an Optima Battery from dead state whereas a non-Optima Charger does not have that capability. Since I have had my Optima Charger I haven't had the opportunity to try to recover a dead battery.

If you keep your car in storage for a period wheras, the battery could be drained, try the Optima Charger. It will maintain and condition the battery at a full state during the storage period.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

I have 4 Optimas and plan to buy more. I had one in my truck for 8 years before it needed replaced. I have the 1200 charger now, no idea if it could've revived that 8 year old battery. I buy them from a seller on ebay for $160 shipped.
      Traven

thanks guys!!

I was going to say...how awesome they are, they work great, I use them in my cars(red and yellow tops), and boat(blue top), and the customer service is also good.....but hell everyone else beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      I was going to say...how awesome they are, they work great, I use them in my cars(red and yellow tops), and boat(blue top), and the customer service is also good.....but hell everyone else beat me to it
      yea...all seems good They make some nice trays for them too so I think I can take my stock battery eyesore and tunr into something that looks good under the hood.

Country Flag: Canada
      Hate to be negative But, I had a brand new red top in my 03, z06 corvette, drove home after short Cruz and it blew up, acid every where and on a 03 the battery sits over top all the electronics (the reason I bought optima). Long story short in my Camaro it will be in the trunk in a fully enclosed box. For me the risk isn't worth the pretty. Just my experience and my opinion.

red top in my trunk using this holder...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aar-ac-bm
      69LSX

Quote Originally Posted by ragz View Post
      Hate to be negative But, I had a brand new red top in my 03, z06 corvette, drove home after short Cruz and it blew up, acid every where and on a 03 the battery sits over top all the electronics (the reason I bought optima). Long story short in my Camaro it will be in the trunk in a fully enclosed box. For me the risk isn't worth the pretty. Just my experience and my opinion.
      Was just getting ready to post how many negative reviews you read about these batteries on various sites. If i go the trunk route don't know that I would go to the expense of a Optima.

Back in the dark ages for me (~2005-2011) I worked at Autozone. It seemed hit or miss on the new Optimas. Most were good, but there were a few that would come back brand new that didn't work that I'd have to warranty out. From what I hear they were much better before. Myself, I have a 7 year old one in my Edsel that is going fine, but it hasn't ever been a driver, and the battery is in the trunk. The one in my DD 98 T/A lasted fine just over 3 years. It started going weak around 2.5 years but putting it on a trickle every month helped it last longer. I'm thinking of trying Odyssey batteries next.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

optima batteries do not like to be trickle charged. I learned the hardway and the batteries will definite fail and possibly not recover. When I went through that period of failing batteries I didn't have my optima Charger and it would have been interesting to see if the Optima Charger could have recover them. I learned from that point with a conventional charger that you have to charge them with 10 amps.

That is why I have an Optima Charger now. The Optima Charger will take care of maintaining the battery for you with no worries if you let the car sit for several months without any use.

It appears that when an Optima Battery does fail, it is from the lack of proper care because of the duty cycle we put the batteries through. You can not let them drain to a dead state and expect to charge them back up like a normal battery. Depending on the duty cycle and the proper care, they will last a very long time. The Optima Battery is different than the Delco, Interstate, and the Diehards batteries. A conventional charger can ruin an Optima Battery if it is not charged properly.

Since, I have had my Optima Charger I have not lost a battery. The price of an Optima Charger will pay for itself in the longrun.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by nokones View Post
      optima batteries do not like to be trickle charged. I learned the hardway and the batteries will definite fail and possibly not recover. When I went through that period of failing batteries I didn't have my optima Charger and it would have been interesting to see if the Optima Charger could have recover them. I learned from that point with a conventional charger that you have to charge them with 10 amps.

That is why I have an Optima Charger now. The Optima Charger will take care of maintaining the battery for you with no worries if you let the car sit for several months without any use.

It appears that when an Optima Battery does fail, it is from the lack of proper care because of the duty cycle we put the batteries through. You can not let them drain to a dead state and expect to charge them back up like a normal battery. Depending on the duty cycle and the proper care, they will last a very long time. The Optima Battery is different than the Delco, Interstate, and the Diehards batteries. A conventional charger can ruin an Optima Battery if it is not charged properly.

Since, I have had my Optima Charger I have not lost a battery. The price of an Optima Charger will pay for itself in the longrun.

I have a "Battery Tender" your saying that is not good for an Optima?http://www.batterymart.com/p-del-021...FQGPaQodL7oAhg

No trickle charger is a first for me. optima's FAQ page doesn't seem to have an issue with it. http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/faqs

All my Optimas, including my 7 year old one see intermittent trickle charging without issue. I know they don't like fast charging, that's how you kill it.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

red top under my hood (stock location) for over 6 years.
      David H. Amrine
      (USMC Retired)

Boys drive fast on the street. But MEN prove how fast they are at the Track.

I have owned one optima and it lasted a little over 3 years then died unexpectedly. I wasn't impressed for a $150 battery. I have since started buying Odyssey batteries and I have been much more satisfied.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      I have owned one optima and it lasted a little over 3 years then died unexpectedly. I wasn't impressed for a $150 battery. I have since started buying Odyssey batteries and I have been much more satisfied.
      what do those run? whats the life span been?

I have used optima's for years, actually over 11. That was the first battery that I bought for my first truck. All was well until about 2 weeks ago. I have one in my Lotus Exige, was at a 2 day track event. When I was leaving Monday morning I found the battery loose in the trunk and it smashed the side of my car, cracking the fiberglass and paint on the rear corner. I never hit a thing or had any bad incidents, just normal track driving. Their bottom flange failed and let the battery crash around my car which now needs to be painted. I have emailed optima and have still not heard a word back from them. Now as far as I am concerned their stuff is junk and they will not stand behind it. I am not done calling or emailing them so I guess we will see what happens

Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      what do those run? whats the life span been?
      Rod,
      The Odyssey battery by Enersys is more expensive at around $300 but it is also much better quality. According to the Odyssey web site it is designed to last 8 years but common lifespan is closer to 12+ years. Odyssey batteries are the battery of choice in police and fire&rescue vehicles. I have a PC1500 in Dust Off and I have a pair of PC1500s in my Duramax. I can't tell you how long they will last but I don't expect to have to buy any batteries for at least 10 years. When you consider the lifespan vs cost they become a bargain. Summit Racing sells both Odyssey and optima.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/od...00dt/overview/

http://www.odysseybattery.com/design_advantages.aspx

Here is a billet mount for the PC1500.
      http://www.odysseybatteries.com/accessories/hdb1500.htm

One more note. Enersys also manufactures the DieHard AGM battery for SEARS in the same plant using the same process. SEARS is always having battery sales so if you watch for the sales you can usually find the DieHard AGM for a little less than the Odyssey.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Thanks for sharing the video.
      I found it very interesting.

For what its worth I just replaced a twelve year old red top.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com