Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

5th gen camaro console install in a first gen

I know a couple of guys have done it but I haven't really seen any in progress installation pics. This is one of my last main hurdles in getting my car ready for shakedown runs (been off the road for 4 years). I went to my local Lowes and bought a 6"x18" 1/16 steel and a 1"x12" 1/16 aluminum (picked it up accidentally, wanted steel but it will work fine). I also used a cheap 18" metal brake from Harbor Freight. Bending the metal turned out to be a good exercise in bend radius measurement that I learned at a aircraft school last summer LOL

The front bracket dimensions are 1" (mounts to console)x 3.25" (console to floor) x approx 6" for the base (didn't have to be this long, I was too lazy to cut the extra inch or two off) but it will work just fine.

The middle bracket is similar, 1"x 3" (top to floor) and only 3" base.

The rear bracket was a little trickier. The top flat (mounts to console) is 5" and I guesstimated an additional 2.5" on each side to mount. As you can see, it took a little bending and tweaking but I was able to bend it back towards the tunnel and then down the side.

Since I already had dynamat already installed, welding the bracket to the floor was out of the question. I initially used some self tapping screws to secure it to the floor but will be buying some 5/16 course thread x3/4" to mount the all 3 brackets to the floor tomorrow.

I used some #8-32x 1/2" bolts, washers and nuts. For the rear bracket I used #8x32x 3/4 facing up to mount to the rear area of the console.

Again, this is just a guide. If you attempt to do this, be sure and double check what is required for your install. Hope this helps, here are some pics. If you have any questions, please let me know.
      Attached Images Attached Images        
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Nice! Thanks.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

looks great so far!! I can't wait to see it complete………. keep us posted

Has this ever been tried on a '69? Would love to see pics.
      '69 Camaro RS/SS "Mercury Rising"

for more build pics - Instagram @cfxlr8

Quote Originally Posted by fun2run View Post
      Has this ever been tried on a '69? Would love to see pics.
      I've got the car and the console. Waiting on the parole hearing from paint jail...

Quote Originally Posted by CROMAN69Z28 View Post
      I've got the car and the console. Waiting on the parole hearing from paint jail...
      HaHaHa! that surprised me until I saw the last three words.
      Wayne

Finally got the interior mostly finished. Here is the installed console pics. For some reason the side panels (on the front-both sides) will not totally clip in. I will worry about that later. Time to get some miles on it now.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Hell yeah drive it like you stole it! Enjoy Chris what seats are those you used? They look nice.
      Wayne

more and more that i think about it i think this is the route that I'm going to go

Looks cool, I might try what you did to mount the front of the console. For the back I'm just going with the stock parts since I have that tunnel piece for the ebrake mount anyway.
      Your looks a lot better than mine though.
      Name:  27786178853_b53eaea6a7_z.jpg
Views: 8406
Size:  100.2 KB
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Chuck, your setup looks good! I didn't have those pieces when I did the swap. Do those console tunnel pieces you put in have the console mount brackets integrated into them? Post up some pics when you get it finished.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

There are some in the rear but I didn't get enough of the front to know if there are up there or not. They are basically what you made anyway. I can't post a pic right now but if you scroll down a bit here you can see what it looks like
      http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...rtible-29.html
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

This fits very well! I need a console for my 70.... might have to try this! How wide is the console at the end, middle and front if you don't mind me asking.....don't have much room between the seats in my car.

I know this is an older thread but I wondered if you hooked up the USB and cig liter in the storage area on your console and if so how? Also what did you do with the traction control button? Thanks!

Yes I hooked up the USB to my radio that way I can stream music from my phone and charge it at the same time. I did have most of the OEM console harness already and just used one of these (see picture) to connect the console usb harness— adapter — normal USB cable— radio. I bought an adaptor off of Amazon . I also wired a new circuit (from my AAW harness) so both 12v plugs (console storage and the one up front) are hot. You can never have too many 12v charging plug in points lol. I left the traction button in there for now. Still trying to plan on this but I am considering removing it and putting my power window switches in its places.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Just wondering how far forward are you mounting this console? Anyway could get a measurement or two and let me know. Getting ready to mount mine soon and wasn't sure where to mount it.

Name:  IMG_0022.jpg
Views: 5036
Size:  180.3 KB

I believe my 5 speed shifter is further forward that his 6 speed, Back of my console wound up directly over the original console rear mount nut

130fe, I know this is a older post but what pedals are those? Nice job on the install! I just purchased a 5th gen console cant wait to get it installed!

Damn... looks like it belongs there! I'm hoping to find someone having done an automatic version in a 2nd gen.

May end up having to attempt it on my own...
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluechip67 View Post
      130fe, I know this is a older post but what pedals are those? Nice job on the install! I just purchased a 5th gen console cant wait to get it installed!
      They are Modo Innovation covers. You will enjoy the console! Mine is still going after 4 years of use.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com