Country Flag: United States

Hoping to fit the Restomod Air Haymaker II in by 69 Firebird

Well I decided I wanted to try out the Restomod Air unit instead of either the Vintage Air or CAA system. Most of this was the much nicer options for the controls and vents, but also I'm hoping that if I can fit the Haymaker II unit it will give me the best AC performance. The problem is making sure I can get it to fit in my 69 Firebird. Otherwise i will have to look at the smaller unit they offer. The guys from Restomod said they were able to get this unit in a 68 camaro, but it was a tight fit. Fingers crossed!!!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Any pictures of the unit?

I haven't even unboxed it yet, if you can believe that! I'll open it up today and take some pics to post.

A few pictures of the unit.

Unpackaging:
    Name:  unpackaging unit.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  236.4 KB

Mounting Bracket:
    Name:  Rear mounting plate.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  200.2 KB

Top of Unit:
    Name:  Top of unit.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  247.7 KB
    Name:  Labeled vents.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  185.3 KB

Other pics:
    Name:  Compressor motor.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  248.0 KB
    Name:  Electrical connections.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  162.4 KB

I thought the Restomod Air and CAA where one in the same company or at least that CAA supplies Restomod air the units. Anyway it looks nice and I'll be watching as I'll be going down this same road in the near future.
    Sean James

69 Firebird - Build Thread
    67 Conv. Camaro - For sale
    92 Camaro RS - Sold

I believe CAA and Restomod are "related" but they operate independantly. This is my first project and aftermarket AC unit so I don't have anything to compare too, but so far this looks like a great product. I haven't decided on a controller or vents for my project yet, so once i have a better idea on the dash I'm going with I'll pick up those from Restomod and am excited about that as they look great!

Curious to see how it works out. I like the electronic controls. I'm going to be doing this to a 67 Camaro soon, and would like to find the least visible unit possible. I've done and seen too many units that are way too exposed under the RH side of the dash. I'd like to minimize this, but I'll probably have to end up building a cover either way I'm guessing.
    Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
    71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
    67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
    82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
    66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

I guess it's a 1,000 bucks because the box it ships in is so cool.
    Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Hoping to fit the Restomod Air Haymaker II in by 69 Firebird

Restomod and CAA are the same company. Same personnel, same building, same evaporators, same booth at SEMA. There's only one thing different between Restomod and CAA.
    KUL FIR CHICK N: COOL FIRECHICKEN
    '68 Firebird, LS7, 6spd, DSE all around.

Quote Originally Posted by KUL FIR CHICK N View Post
    Restomod and CAA are the same company. Same personnel, same building, same evaporators, same booth at SEMA. There's only one thing different between Restomod and CAA.
    And that would be? I ask because I plan on ordering an aftermarket A/C system early next month.
    Sean James

92 Camaro RS - Sold

double post
    Sean James

92 Camaro RS - Sold

Hey guys and gals, I know this is an old post but I am about to purchase an A/C system for my 68 Camaro and really like a lot of the Restomod Air stuff (controller and vents specifically) but I am somewhat skeptical of fitting the Haymaker II in the car. I've done a lot of searches but haven't seen this specific question. I'm curious to know how many 1st gen F-bodies use the RA system. My car is completely disassembled and I will be smoothing the firewall.

OP - did you do this and do you have any pics??

Thanks,
    David

I installed the Street Rod III from Classic Auto Air into my 1969 Firebird. Also have a smooth firewall.
    Sean James

92 Camaro RS - Sold

I am interested in any information on the fit of the Haymaker as well. I have a 67 Camaro. Restomod website says it will fit, but interested in hearing from customers that actually installed it in the first generation Camaros, and if they have any thoughts or advice.

In for the info as well. thanks

Guys, after a lot of additional measuring for the Haymaker II I just don't see how it will fit without dropping it down way below the dash. So I talked to Restomod about the Vapir III unit and ordered a mock-up box and I think this is gonna work. It still hangs down more than I wanted but not any more than the VA Gen IV installs I have seen. DSE has some good pics on their website of a VA evaporator install on Dave Tuckers 69 Camaro. Tim at Restomod has been a lot of help. I will have to do some fab work to bring the unit off the firewall and towards the dash but I'm good with that. From what I've seen VA mounts to the cowl also.

David

What control knobs are you going to use? I just got my new ones in today and they are by far the beefiest knobs I've seen. My last knobs were just little knobs on stalks, but these are something else entirely. Pretty neat stuff.
    If you stick with the Haymaker you might be able to just fab up a cover for it, might be easier than moving a lot of stuff. Guess it depends how low it hangs. It fits pretty well in my Chevelle but I still think I might cover it just for something to do.
    Name:  20191102_131058.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  113.0 KB
    https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
    Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html