Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Hoping to fit the Restomod Air Haymaker II in by 69 Firebird

Well I decided I wanted to try out the Restomod Air unit instead of either the Vintage Air or CAA system. Most of this was the much nicer options for the controls and vents, but also I'm hoping that if I can fit the Haymaker II unit it will give me the best AC performance. The problem is making sure I can get it to fit in my 69 Firebird. Otherwise i will have to look at the smaller unit they offer. The guys from Restomod said they were able to get this unit in a 68 camaro, but it was a tight fit. Fingers crossed!!!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Any pictures of the unit?

I haven't even unboxed it yet, if you can believe that! I'll open it up today and take some pics to post.

A few pictures of the unit.

Unpackaging:
      Name:  unpackaging unit.jpg
Views: 5743
Size:  236.4 KB

Mounting Bracket:
      Name:  Rear mounting plate.jpg
Views: 6129
Size:  200.2 KB

Top of Unit:
      Name:  Top of unit.jpg
Views: 6048
Size:  247.7 KB
      Name:  Labeled vents.jpg
Views: 5592
Size:  185.3 KB

Other pics:
      Name:  Compressor motor.jpg
Views: 5905
Size:  248.0 KB
      Name:  Electrical connections.jpg
Views: 5615
Size:  162.4 KB

I thought the Restomod Air and CAA where one in the same company or at least that CAA supplies Restomod air the units. Anyway it looks nice and I'll be watching as I'll be going down this same road in the near future.
      Sean James

69 Firebird - Build Thread
      72 Firebird

I believe CAA and Restomod are "related" but they operate independantly. This is my first project and aftermarket AC unit so I don't have anything to compare too, but so far this looks like a great product. I haven't decided on a controller or vents for my project yet, so once i have a better idea on the dash I'm going with I'll pick up those from Restomod and am excited about that as they look great!

Curious to see how it works out. I like the electronic controls. I'm going to be doing this to a 67 Camaro soon, and would like to find the least visible unit possible. I've done and seen too many units that are way too exposed under the RH side of the dash. I'd like to minimize this, but I'll probably have to end up building a cover either way I'm guessing.

Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

I guess it's a 1,000 bucks because the box it ships in is so cool.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Hoping to fit the Restomod Air Haymaker II in by 69 Firebird

Restomod and CAA are the same company. Same personnel, same building, same evaporators, same booth at SEMA. There's only one thing different between Restomod and CAA.
      KUL FIR CHICK N: COOL FIRECHICKEN
      '68 Firebird, LS7, 6spd, DSE all around.

Quote Originally Posted by KUL FIR CHICK N View Post
      Restomod and CAA are the same company. Same personnel, same building, same evaporators, same booth at SEMA. There's only one thing different between Restomod and CAA.
      And that would be? I ask because I plan on ordering an aftermarket A/C system early next month.
      Sean James

72 Firebird

double post
      Sean James

72 Firebird

Hey guys and gals, I know this is an old post but I am about to purchase an A/C system for my 68 Camaro and really like a lot of the Restomod Air stuff (controller and vents specifically) but I am somewhat skeptical of fitting the Haymaker II in the car. I've done a lot of searches but haven't seen this specific question. I'm curious to know how many 1st gen F-bodies use the RA system. My car is completely disassembled and I will be smoothing the firewall.

OP - did you do this and do you have any pics??

Thanks,
      David

I installed the Street Rod III from Classic Auto Air into my 1969 Firebird. Also have a smooth firewall.
      Sean James

72 Firebird

I am interested in any information on the fit of the Haymaker as well. I have a 67 Camaro. Restomod website says it will fit, but interested in hearing from customers that actually installed it in the first generation Camaros, and if they have any thoughts or advice.

In for the info as well. thanks

Guys, after a lot of additional measuring for the Haymaker II I just don't see how it will fit without dropping it down way below the dash. So I talked to Restomod about the Vapir III unit and ordered a mock-up box and I think this is gonna work. It still hangs down more than I wanted but not any more than the VA Gen IV installs I have seen. DSE has some good pics on their website of a VA evaporator install on Dave Tuckers 69 Camaro. Tim at Restomod has been a lot of help. I will have to do some fab work to bring the unit off the firewall and towards the dash but I'm good with that. From what I've seen VA mounts to the cowl also.

David

What control knobs are you going to use? I just got my new ones in today and they are by far the beefiest knobs I've seen. My last knobs were just little knobs on stalks, but these are something else entirely. Pretty neat stuff.
      If you stick with the Haymaker you might be able to just fab up a cover for it, might be easier than moving a lot of stuff. Guess it depends how low it hangs. It fits pretty well in my Chevelle but I still think I might cover it just for something to do.
      Name:  20191102_131058.jpg
Views: 4982
Size:  113.0 KB
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Country Flag: Canada
      I've been researching the Restomod systems over the last few weeks, and was looking online for some solid feedback from buyers, and then I found this thread. This thread seems to have gone quiet so I'd like to ask that of those who did buy from Restomod to please give their feedback on the install, fitment, and final performance? Are you pleased with your purchases or in hindsight, would you have done things differently?

I received a quote from Tim, (thanks Tim!), for the Haymaker system, which upon some preliminary under dash measuring on my 73 Pontiac Grand Am, (73-77 A-body), looks like it would be a tight fit. Like the look of the Haymaker and what appear to be quality components, but I think it's output is greater than what I need, so I'm also considering the Vapir 3 as another option due to the reduced dimensions.

Any help here guys is greatly appreciated.

I installed the haymaker in my 69 Camaro. I think it fits pretty well. It’s definitely not a bolt in situation. I used their bracket and cut it in half to get the unit away from the firewall. You can see a pic of the unit installed on page 3 of my build. As far as the condenser and evaporator those are specific to the camaro so they fit like a glove to the core support and their pre bent hard lines also fit really nice with room to spare with RS headlights. I’m not that far in the build process to turn on the unit but I went with restomod air only because I can control it via an app. Let me know if you have more questions.

I'm also looking the Vapir 3 but still waiting on the APP to work properly and still waiting to learn if it can be controlled from an apple CarPlay headunit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com