Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      I installed the haymaker in my 69 Camaro. I think it fits pretty well. It’s definitely not a bolt in situation. I used their bracket and cut it in half to get the unit away from the firewall. You can see a pic of the unit installed on page 3 of my build. As far as the condenser and evaporator those are specific to the camaro so they fit like a glove to the core support and their pre bent hard lines also fit really nice with room to spare with RS headlights. I’m not that far in the build process to turn on the unit but I went with restomod air only because I can control it via an app. Let me know if you have more questions.
      Thanks so much for the feedback Joeko. I just started to read your build thread after looking at the pic on page 3, and all I can say is outstanding work! I don't want to trouble you at all, but did you take any other pics of your Restomod AC install and what you had to do to make it fit? Was there additional cutting of the firewall and/or new filler panels you had to fab? Was the glovebox space completely taken up by the AC unit? How did you find the routing of the ducting? Did you have to buy additional tubing or substitute anything supplied in the kit with pieces from other suppliers? Are you using their app alone to control the unit or are you also hardwiring into one of their in-dash panels? Apologies for all of the questions, but buying one of these units would be a "luxury" acquisition for me, and if it's going to require a massive re-engineering to make it fit I might just settle for rolling my windows down. Thanks again for any help!

]Here are additional pic of what I did. They supply you with the U shaped bracket. They say your supposed to connect it to one side (the side that’s bent) this bracket is for a flat firewall. The Camaro firewall is not that flat especially in the area where the tranny tunnel meets the firewall. So I cut the bracket in half and put it on both sides.

Name:  74CB2110-F606-4D69-B3A9-6DCF4290D7F1.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  196.1 KB
      I also trimmed that piece (circled in red) because it was hitting the upper cowl. With the unit level, I have about 3” between the top of the unit and upper cowl. The unit is 11” wide with the bracket so you can measure how much room you have with a stock dash.

Name:  3966703B-8C78-465F-9F1E-B3EB28C07AFD.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  152.0 KB
      The unit sits 12” from the floor(not sure why the image is flipped upside down?). Because I’m using the Mercedes dash, the unit is completely hidden behind the Mercedes dash. It also does not interfere with the Mercedes glove box. There’s actually a pretty decent size gap between the ac unit and the back of the dash which should allow for plenty of room for the ducting and wiring. I welded in the bolts (provided) to the firewall for attachment of the unit.
      Name:  B45EB76B-ECA9-4BB2-A636-81A10B598886.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  168.5 KB

As far as the evaporator and condenser, they specifically sent me that for a 69 Camaro, the hard lines come prebent and fit really well. No mods needed to be made for that.

I haven’t powered up the unit yet so I can’t say anything about that. I will not have any AC/heat controls in the dash. I will control the unit via an iPad that will be mounted in the dash. I will not have any physical controls. It will work through their Bluetooth app. The only reason why I chose the restomod air unit is because they have an app. There are plenty of other options out there (cheaper options) for AC units. I chose the restomod unit ONLY because of the app.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

]Here are additional pic of what I did. They supply you with the U shaped bracket. They say your supposed to connect it to one side (the side that’s bent) this bracket is for a flat firewall. The Camaro firewall is not that flat especially in the area where the tranny tunnel meets the firewall. So I cut the bracket in half and put it on both sides.

Name:  74CB2110-F606-4D69-B3A9-6DCF4290D7F1.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  196.1 KB
      I also trimmed that piece (circled in red) because it was hitting the upper cowl. With the unit level, I have about 3” between the top of the unit and upper cowl. The unit is 11” wide with the bracket so you can measure how much room you have with a stock dash.

Name:  3966703B-8C78-465F-9F1E-B3EB28C07AFD.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  152.0 KB
      The unit sits 12” from the floor(not sure why the image is flipped upside down?). Because I’m using the Mercedes dash, the unit is completely hidden behind the Mercedes dash. It also does not interfere with the Mercedes glove box. There’s actually a pretty decent size gap between the ac unit and the back of the dash which should allow for plenty of room for the ducting and wiring. I welded in the bolts (provided) to the firewall for attachment of the unit.
      Name:  B45EB76B-ECA9-4BB2-A636-81A10B598886.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  168.5 KB

As far as the evaporator and condenser, they specifically sent me that for a 69 Camaro, the hard lines come prebent and fit really well. No mods needed to be made for that.

I haven’t powered up the unit yet so I can’t say anything about that. I will not have any AC/heat controls in the dash. I will control the unit via an iPad that will be mounted in the dash. I will not have any physical controls. It will work through their Bluetooth app. The only reason why I chose the restomod air unit is because they have an app. There are plenty of other options out there (cheaper options) for AC units. I chose the restomod unit ONLY because of the app.
      Hey Joe, thanks so much for this info. I'll do some more measuring on my under dash area and see if I have the same depth to play with. Funny, at first I thought running the unit via the app was a bit "gimmicky" but now I see the wisdom of it and now think it's the way to go. It would be awesome if you could keep us up to speed on your progress with the unit, and now with the routing of the tubing, which I'm super interested in. Any other comments or updates, even if they're brief, are appreciated.

Thanks again.

Country Flag: United States
      Neat looking setup - when you unboxed it - the unit looked amazingly similar to my ‘close to factory fit’ ‘69 Firebird A/C kit from CAA.

The CAA has a similar hole down on the p-side firewall and the unit does drop below the dash (kind of sits a bit into passenger foot-well but doesn’t protrude past the lower inside edge of the dash - under the glove box.

Name:  IMG_0793.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  231.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gto406 View Post
      Neat looking setup - when you unboxed it - the unit looked amazingly similar to my ‘close to factory fit’ ‘69 Firebird A/C kit from CAA.

The CAA has a similar hole down on the p-side firewall and the unit does drop below the dash (kind of sits a bit into passenger foot-well but doesn’t protrude past the lower inside edge of the dash - under the glove box.

Name:  IMG_0793.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  231.7 KB
      Hey gto406, any updates on your CAA AC install? I'd be interested in your impressions on fit, quality, and if you've had a chance to test it running. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 73GA View Post
      Hey gto406, any updates on your CAA AC install? I'd be interested in your impressions on fit, quality, and if you've had a chance to test it running. Thanks!
      Hi 73GA!

Sorry for the delayed reply. Couple issues w/CAA on the 69 included:
      - cover for heater-core/blower plate didn’t fit but when I called CAA they shipped me one no cost - crappy side-effect: template cut-out wrong so had to weld back in some sheet metal
      - fit was not a problem but it is tight under the dash - not a lot of room on these 1st gens
      - NPD sold me an older kit (guessing) so I was forced to purchase the correct compressor bracket to work w/my oem setup/pulleys
      - last straw was vents (my 69 was an orig AC car) but the a/c pulled out (it was a drag car)
      - CAA don’t sell center vents - I had to buy my vents / bezels for top/center dash from Vintage Air

I think I should have gone Vintage. Have only just finished the car so haven’t tried out the a/c or heat yet!

Hope that helps!

Bumping this thread, as I am getting ready to tackle AC in my 67 camaro. The Haymaker has 4 AC vents, my car is a non AC car, where are yall locating all 4 vents? Obviously, 2 can go in dash where original placement was, but curious about the other two?

It actually has 8 vents. 2 for heat, 2 for defrost, 4 for AC. I mounted 2 on left and right side of dash and 2 in the center.

It actually has 8 vents. 2 for heat, 2 for defrost, 4 for AC. I mounted 2 on left and right side of dash and 2 in the center.
      Thanks for chiming in. Sick build!! I will be not be using a custom dash like yours tho. Might have to fab something underneath the middle to mount?

Quote Originally Posted by redbull396 View Post
      Bumping this thread, as I am getting ready to tackle AC in my 67 camaro. The Haymaker has 4 AC vents, my car is a non AC car, where are yall locating all 4 vents? Obviously, 2 can go in dash where original placement was, but curious about the other two?

Vintage Air sells the original style center vent for a 67 with the correct 2 port adapter on the backside. Same for the side dash vents.
      Tim

67 Camaro RS

64 Nova SS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com