Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Reviews/Opinions wanted on suspension kits

I’m putting together a ‘70 firebird with a fuel injected 455. Right now the suspension is currently all stock. The car will be used for mostly street driving and some mountain cruising. I was looking at the QA1 Level 2 kit, it comes with everything I want and the price is right. For a guy on a not dirt cheap but not $10K suspension budget what other suggestions do you have?

Country Flag: United States
      Stock style coil springs with some good shocks like Bilstein. Coilovers etc will likely give you a harsh ride.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

If you're looking at that QA1, check the UMI 2.5... its in the same price range and includes dropped leaf springs too.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      If you're looking at that QA1, check the UMI 2.5... its in the same price range and includes dropped leaf springs too.
      I am looking at the level 2 kits that comes with rear coil overs.

Check out - protouring F body, make some great stuff for the 2nd generation cars

I have single adjustable QA1 coilovers on the front of mine 68 and I wish they were double adjustable. At a Goodguys last year, they had shock on display that you could mess with and a long lever are so yo ucould see how adjusting them affected the action. I was surprised with the single adjustables affect both compression and rebound. I think a single adjustable shock was most adjusting rebound. At least for these QA1s that does not appear to be the case. Mine are pretty firm but I do have 500lb springs with a SBC in there as well.

What do you want to do with the car? Street car, drag car, autocross, road race? Do you want something with ultra sharp handling but possibly a harsh ride or something that goes comfortably down the highway? The best suspension investment you can make is to think carefully about how you will actually use the car and be honest with yourself.

If you want a car for cruising around town and going to cars and coffee, then stock suspension is plenty and just needs to be brought into good repair (fresh bushings, tie rods, ball joints, and good shocks). If you want to lower the car and do some occasional autocross, but still mostly street drive and want to stick to a low budget, you can get by with stiffer/drop springs, decent shocks, bigger sway bars, some upper arms to allow more caster. We're lucky to have lots of great options for all those things.
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com