Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Baer did a conversion for us to convert to 14" rotors. The 15" rotors MAY clear 18" rims depending on the MFR of the rim. We possibly could have been OK but it was too close to risk it. Their conversion may not be a listed kit yet but they can do it. Have them look up what they did for Mary.
      Willwood has rear brakes that work, that is what Art Morrison sells.

Here are the Baer 14" brakes on Mary's Camaro, Mary took more and better photos, I'll see if she has one of the brackets. I had to cut a flat on the GM cast aluminum knuckle but Morrison now does it for you. Mary's was the first customer unit, mine was the second.

Last edited by David Pozzi; 04-27-2015 at 09:44 AM.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Time to bump this up for some updates from David. My install is complete except the e-brake cables. I plan to use an E-Stopp. I am running Brembo brakes off a 5th gen ZL1 so I had to swap the hubs. Here's a couple of pics. The exhaust is also done, I ran 2.5 inch under the center section.

Don
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Time to bump this up for some updates from David. My install is complete except the e-brake cables. I plan to use an E-Stopp. I am running Brembo brakes off a 5th gen ZL1 so I had to swap the hubs. Here's a couple of pics. The exhaust is also done, I ran 2.5 inch under the center section.

Don
      Nice looking setup Don, who did the driveshaft and adapters? I need to get a drive shaft for my Chevelle and I am gonna need the same adaptors

Quote Originally Posted by ChevelleNV View Post
      Nice looking setup Don, who did the driveshaft and adapters? I need to get a drive shaft for my Chevelle and I am gonna need the same adaptors
      The Driveshaft Shop. Nice guy, easy to work with.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Cool install David and Don!
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

what lugnuts are those?

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      Baer did a conversion for us to convert to 14" rotors. The 15" rotors MAY clear 18" rims depending on the MFR of the rim. We possibly could have been OK but it was too close to risk it. Their conversion may not be a listed kit yet but they can do it. Have them look up what they did for Mary.
      Willwood has rear brakes that work, that is what Art Morrison sells.

Here are the Baer 14" brakes on Mary's Camaro, Mary took more and better photos, I'll see if she has one of the brackets. I had to cut a flat on the GM cast aluminum knuckle but Morrison now does it for you. Mary's was the first customer unit, mine was the second.

They are Summit brand. They are 4 to a package. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1627
Size:  164.8 KB
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 08-07-2015 at 07:06 AM.

They are Summit brand. I'll look for a part number.
      What, no updates? I need to see how you routed the e-brake cables etc. I've used your build to help me get through the rest of the install, especially the floor and trunk mods.

I have purchased similar lug nuts on ebay. Just search for the size you need, they are usually one of the lower cost options.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Looking Good!!!

We didn't hook up the E brake cables on Marys car. On mine, I may run them but don't have the brakes yet. If anyone contacts Baer for IRS brakes, they have it worked out, just tell them you want the same as Mary has. Her's are 14" with the R series calipers.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 08-05-2015 at 07:20 PM.

Another note on something we have been dealing with. We loctited all the CV joint bolts and marked the heads with paint dabs. The inner left hand joint had a little more grease inside and we didn't get it all out of the threads the first time. Several bolts came loose on us on that joint only but we caught them in time. I cleaned the threads with carb cleaner and blew them dry and they are holding now. Just make sure you have everything clean when you apply the Loctite.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 08-07-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Art Morrison IRS install, 67 Camaro

David this is an awesome thread! I loved reading about the IRS in Mary's car and I can't wait to see yours come together!

Thanks, I need to start a thread on my 67 build some time. It's been going pretty slowly but coming along. Nothing fancy, but hopefully it will be fast.

Art Morrison IRS install, 67 Camaro

Knowing the Pozzi reputation, I think fast might be an understatement David!! Hahaha

Another note on something we have been dealing with. We loctited all the CV joint bolts and marked the heads with paint dabs. The inner left hand joint had a little more grease inside and we didn't get it all out of the threads the first time. Several bolts came loose on us on that joint only but we caught them in time. I cleaned the threads with carb cleaner and blew them dry and they are holding now. Just make sure you have everything clean when you apply the Loctite.
      Mine came fully assembled with the CV boots installed etc. Do I need to remove the boots and check all the bolts?

Thanks again for your help David. You have saved my bacon quite a few times on this installation.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I didn't pull the boots, I figure they are packed with grease. I pulled the CV bolts, washed out the threads on the flange with brake cleaner spray. I used red loctite and had good luck on all but but the left side of the diff , it kept working loose on us. Finally I bought stage 8 locking fasteners. They have a tab that sticks out to prevent turning, and a snap ring holds the tab. I glass beaded the threads so the loctite would grab them better, they come Nickel plated. No more problems. I only used them on the LH side of the diff.

You must Torque and loctite EVERY bolt, including the steering link stud to the aluminum knuckle assy. Art Morrison does not torque them to final because they figure you will dissassemble to powder coat or paint them.

Another tip on the lug bolt pattern. Art Morrison uses a Corvette ZR1 hub, which has a std old style 4 3/4" bolt circle. The std late model Camaro hub uses a metric bolt circle so any late Camaro brakes you use would need to have the bolt pattern modified to fit. They are very close, but different. Also the center hole register is larger on the Corvette unit bearing.

Also you need to be careful if you change your camber setting. Changing camber will change the rear caster. Rear caster is the "clocking" of the rear knuckle looking at the side of the car. If rear Caster changes, the height of the toe links change and that greatly affects rear toe change as the suspension moves. The latest version of the installation manual should have the required caster specs. Measure by placing a degree finder against the caliper mounting bolts, or the underside of the calipers if you can find a flat area. Ask AME for a caster spec for the camber you are using.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 10-07-2017 at 03:08 PM.

I didn't pull the boots, I figure they are packed with grease. I pulled the CV bolts, washed out the threads on the flange with brake cleaner spray. I used red loctite and had good luck on all but but the left side of the diff , it kept working loose on us. Finally I bought stage 8 locking fasteners. They have a tab that sticks out to prevent turning, and a snap ring holds the tab. I glass beaded the threads so the loctite would grab them better, they come Nickel plated. No more problems. I only used them on the LH side of the diff.

You must Torque and loctite EVERY bolt, including the steering link stud to the aluminum knuckle assy. Art Morrison does not torque them to final because they figure you will dissassemble to powder coat or paint them.

Another tip on the lug bolt pattern. Art Morrison uses a Corvette ZR1 hub, which has a std old style 4 3/4" bolt circle. The std late model Camaro hub uses a metric bolt circle so any late Camaro brakes you use would need to have the bolt pattern modified to fit. They are very close, but different. Also the center hole register is larger on the Corvette unit bearing.
      Looks like this:

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/atta...1&d=1457578298

The rotor brake holes are larger, since the Camaro uses a 14MM stud and the ZL1 uses a 12mm stud. If you carefully open up the rotor hub register, you can make the rotor hub centric, which has no affect on the balance of the assembly. Kore3 made my radial brackets to put a Baer caliper on the Camaro 14.4" rotor.

Oh and the Corvette is 5 on 120mm and the Camaro is 5 on 120.4MM (or something like that).

The Camaro is 5x120 and the Corvette is 5x4.75"

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      The Camaro is 5x120 and the Corvette is 5x4.75"

Andrew
      Yeah, I am dyslexic.

4.75" in MM is 120.65MM = Corvette pattern, with 12MM wheel studs.

Camaro is 120MM with 14MM wheel studs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com