Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Hybrid View

Country Flag: United States

Which LT1 throttle body?

Hi gang. I am running a 95 LT1 in my Monte SS & have had it apart to put an CC306 cam in it as well as have some porting done on the heads & intake, I have full length headers & 3" duals. Maybe it is overkill but is there if I need it some day. While I have it apart I was going to get a different throttle body. I was thinkint the twin 58 mm unit. Also the tranny is the T56. I read somewhere if you have a T56 to go ahead & get the 58 over the 52 mm unit.

What brand do you guys recommend? Holly, Edelbrock, BBK, Lingenfelter.....?

Thanks,
      Scot

Scot
      86 Monte SS

I read something on the LT1 forums at z28camaro.com about the Holley units sticking ( open I assume ) but there are a lot of people using them, and they look like the nicest ones made to me.
      you might try a search there, lots of guys that have tried it all with the LT1, post on that site often.
      Steve N
      69 Camaro RS, LT1/T56, Chassisworks front clip,Fab 9 rear. DSE deep tubs. 18x9 & 18x12 Welds, 265 & 335 Pilots

Video clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NGU0o7oJzE

I ran a 52mm BBK on my 93 Trans Am for quite some time and was happy with it. Just be advised, 52mm is the largest you can go to without having the intake ports opened up to 58mm. If you just simply buy the 58mm throttle body and bolt it on, you'll be bolting a 58mm t/b to 52mm holes. Even with a CC306 cam, I doubt you would outflow a 52mm. You might see a slight increase in power, but nothing overly signifigant i'd be willing to bet.
      Doug
      67 Camaro - Project: Retribution

"Honda: The most efficient means of converting gasoline into noise without the side effect of horsepower."

I haven't bolted the intake on yet. So if I decide to go with a 58mm, now is the time to do it so I can hog it out.
      Scot
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt
      I haven't bolted the intake on yet. So if I decide to go with a 58mm, now is the time to do it so I can hog it out.
      Scot

Too large a TB can cause a untunable bog on rapid large throttle openings.

Arizona Speed makes a 54mm TB for the LT1. That is as big as a 350 or 383 could ever use.

GM makes 500HP through a 48mm on the 502 RamJet.

Screw it then. If GM can make 500hp through the 48mm throttle body. Then I will just leave it alone.

Thanks,
      Scot
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

yep 52mm is all you need unless your using forced induction
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

So has anyone bought one of the throttle bodies from ebay that the guy has bored the factory unit out to 52mm & put sealed roller bearings in it? Good/bad?
      Scot
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Scot, I have a brand new Holley 52mm TB for a 95-97 LT1 that I don`t need and am willing to sell. Let me know if you might be interested

There is some untrue info in this thread. The largest you can put on the stock unported intake is the Arizona Speed and Marine 54mm throttle body. AS&M throttle bodies are the best made (which is reflected in the price), and they're the only manufacturer with a monoblade available for the LT1. The tranny has nothing to do with which size throttle body you run, other than the fact that there was a scare a few years ago about 58s on auto cars hurting the tranny. That turned out to be a wive's tale. FWIW- a 58 on my 720 fwhp turbo 355 LT1 only picked up about 9 horses across the board over the old AS&M 52mm (which is not manufactured by AS&M any more).

-Chris
      '64 Impala Sport Coupe- Slow-Touring project; LR4, 700R4, work in progress
      '66 Corvair Monza Convertible- 110, Powerglide
      '95 Z28- 355 LT1, 76mm turbo, built 4L60E, 12-bolt
      '98 S10 scsb- 4.3 auto
      '00 Corvette coupe- 6-speed

I have a bbk tb that i bought and didnt use... I would let it go for a good price. it has all new sensors to... let me know.

email [email protected]

steve

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com