Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

View Poll Results: What type of front bumper do you have an why?

Voters
    74. You may not vote on this poll
    • I have a chrome bumper - I want to keep the original look...and I dont care about the weight

34 45.95%
    • I have a chrome bumper - I want to keep the original look...but would love a lightweight alternative

9 12.16%
    • I removed my front bumper - For weight savings

4 5.41%
    • I removed my front bumper - I think it looks better

16 21.62%
    • I have a fiberglass front bumper (please note why in comments below)

3 4.05%
    • Other (please note in comments below)

8 10.81%
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Attention 1st Gen F-body Owners: What type of front bumper do you have? Why?

Im seeing a lot of cars without front bumpers and I'm wondering why. Is it for looks or for weight reduction?
      Pete

1968 Camaro
      2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543199

In my case I have a fiberglass front bumper that I want to have painted. I need to reduce the weight on the nose of the car as well as just wanting to look different than every other Camaro I see.

-Jim
      1968 Camaro --502HO, ATI 10" TreeMaster, Hughes TH400 with Gear Vendor's OD, Moser 12-bolt, RideTech StrongArms and MuscleBar, Chris Alston G-bar rear suspension, 2 1/8" by 4" Lemon's Headers through 3" Pypes X-pipe and Hooker AeroChambers.

I wanted to put a light weight bumper on but they wanted 200 bucks? and a chrome cheapo-repo was 89 bucks and was lighter than the box it came out of

I suspect most 1 gen Camaro owners remove the front bumper to clean up the look. I had my bumper in the basement for 30 years. I have now reinstalled it simply because most owners remove it. As for weight savings, that is a very minor issue as the stock bumper doesn't weigh much to start with.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I'm going fiberglass with a chrome vinyl wrap, my car will be mostly track, but I want it to look as close to original as possible
      67 Camaro CAM/C-prepared autocross Project
      72 Nova Street/Drag Car Project

I think it's mostly for looks. As stated above, they don't weigh anything, and sometimes if a car is going towards a more race bred look, it looks appropriate without it, the Sunoco and Yunick 68 Camaros come to mind.

Me personally, there was a time I wanted to run a 1st gen without it. Now that I'm getting to my 67 Camaro I've decided that I want to run one now, mainly because so many people have run without them, and I realize I do like the look with them on too.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

I'm maintaining the front bumper but I'm bringing in both outer corners about 5/8" on each side to tighten it up. I'm also taking the lower valance and moving the road light out 2" on each side and then opening up the center with a 5" x 22" (wider at the top than the bottom), opening to give it a similar look as the newer Corvette (C6) has. It has been work, but worth it. I know Anvil and Marquez each have a custom lower valance but they are either fiberglass or carbon fiber. Mine will be all steel which I prefer. I have done the same narrowing to the rear bumper as well. Looks like a true Camaro but very clean. I still have about 18 months to go on this 69 Camaro.

I had to remove it for my intercooler cold piping/mounts... I don't mind the look without it though so it's a win win.

I have a fiberglass one for weight savings.
      But I think I will end up getting the aluminum one for weight savings over stock & give some protection.

Quote Originally Posted by mean buzzen half dozen View Post
      I have a fiberglass one for weight savings.
      But I think I will end up getting the aluminum one for weight savings over stock & give some protection.
      I did not know there are aluminum ones??? Who is making them and what is the weight savings?
      Pete

1968 Camaro
      2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543199

I removed mine because I did a custom Lower valance on my 68 Camaro Convertible

Ill be putting my front bumper on, but painted the body color. I like the looks
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

Quote Originally Posted by absintheisfun View Post
      Ill be putting my front bumper on, but painted the body color. I like the looks
      I was going to ask what people thought of this idea. I thought about doing the same thing.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I'm keeping the steel bumper but painting it the body color. I also did a lot of modifications to make the bumper fit the body nice and tight. I spent a good 12 to 15 hours on it but it's worth the time and trouble.

Name:  KIMG0061.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  240.6 KB
      Removed mine like the look without

I have a steel bumper but I have narrowed it, hidden the bolt heads, and modified both ends to fit tight against the body. It will be painted the body color.
      1969 Camaro custom build with 418 LS3, T56, TCI front sub frame, and narrowed Fab 9 rear.

My 68, a pic from 1983ish, I took the bumper off just cuz I liked the look
      My 67, a current pic, will not be running a front bumper either. When you dump bucks into a lower valance, you want to show it off!
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Weight savings .... Really. I welded up the bolt holes and will paint it the same color as the body.

I split my 67 front bumper . I like the bumper from side profile. But I also want to show off my lower valence work

Yes, painting the bumpers body color is a cheap/easy alternative and surprisingly good looking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast