Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Supercharger for the track

OK, I've been doing some reading about superchargers over at LS1tech. Gotten lots of info over there. Problem is most of them are a lot more concerned with drag racing. How does a supercharger do when road racing? Any problems with heat buildup?

Also, will a centifugal supercharger (like an ATI) do well, or what about a twin screw?

This will all be in a 1st gen camaro with an LS1. I haven't started it yet, but I'm gathering information to make wise decisions and budget.

Thanks

68 C-10 5.3L

97 Chevy 12V cummins powered monster truck

On the hunt for a chevelle project

I don't have much to add, save for the fact that I'd love to see a pro-touring car with a 2.4L Twin Screw KB, on top of an LS1. I wish KB made something for us 4th gens. Damn low cowl.

well the Kenne Belle is the other supercharger I'm looking into, but right now its not out yet.....I'll have to look into it when they come out though.

Over on LS1tech, there is a thread in the forced induction aobut a roots style SC for a 4th gen.
      68 C-10 5.3L

Country Flag: Canada
      A KB 2.4l is the only way to go I think. The sound and power is just awesome. The only problem I see with them is they fall on their face in high rpms...I say this from videos I have watched online, never been in one though.

-Matt
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Quote Originally Posted by protour_chevelle
      A KB 2.4l is the only way to go I think. The sound and power is just awesome. The only problem I see with them is they fall on their face in high rpms...I say this from videos I have watched online, never been in one though.

-Matt
      If that's the case I can just run higher gears. It will be interesting to see the results when they come out.
      68 C-10 5.3L

Quote Originally Posted by Ackattack
      well the Kenne Belle is the other supercharger I'm looking into, but right now its not out yet.....I'll have to look into it when they come out though.

Over on LS1tech, there is a thread in the forced induction aobut a roots style SC for a 4th gen.

I remember reading the thread about the roots SC, power gains weren't phenomenal, though. 400-450rwhp or so, if I remember correctly? I hope to be at 440-460rwhp with my h/c on my SS over the winter.

I think when the KB comes out it will be a big seller. Lots of people here are also big fans of prochargers. A D1SC would do nicely. I do see what you're saying about the heat, though. Not sure how that would work. Couldn't be any worse than turbos on the track?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph LoGrasso
      I remember reading the thread about the roots SC, power gains weren't phenomenal, though. 400-450rwhp or so, if I remember correctly? I hope to be at 440-460rwhp with my h/c on my SS over the winter.

I think when the KB comes out it will be a big seller. Lots of people here are also big fans of prochargers. A D1SC would do nicely. I do see what you're saying about the heat, though. Not sure how that would work. Couldn't be any worse than turbos on the track?
      yeah, I think and ATI would work just fine.

I think a turbo would take a lot more to get it to live....special cooling lines for bearings, heat shielding so you don't melt the hood, hoses, wires, ect. and I'm sure a lot of other problems.
      68 C-10 5.3L

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com