Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

View Poll Results: What gauges are you running?

Voters
    168. You may not vote on this poll
    • Speedhut

42 25.00%
    • Dakota Digital

45 26.79%
    • Autometer

59 35.12%
    • Classic Instruments

4 2.38%
    • VDO

3 1.79%
    • Misc

16 9.52%
    Multiple Choice Poll.
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
      Country Flag: United States
      Since, I am running the Holley HP EFI Compter on my 1989 Corvette, I thought about going with the Holley Digital Display. I decided not to because the intent was to get away from the OEM Digital Instruments and get back to real analog gauges so I went with Speedhut because you can customize the gauge to your specs. without any additional cost. Also, I had the Corvette Logo added to my GPS driven Speedometer, and the Tach. The custom dash work was designed and fabricated by JCG Restoration and Custom in Oxnard, CA
      Name:  20170312_111716.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  124.9 KB
      Name:  20170311_103031.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  100.6 KB
      Name:  20170311_102906.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  97.4 KB
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Was wondering about toeing in the idiot lights, for those of you with these newer electronic gauges, does the gauge light up when fuel is low or water temp is very high?

Kenny, that's a nice looking setup above.
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Thanks for the comment. Yes, I Speedhut does offer the idiot lights on either some or all of their gauges. I elected to not have any idiot lights. I wanted to keep it simple.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

The thing I like about SpeedHut is the various customizing options. I roughed up a couple of approaches in Photoshop to see the overall look. In the end, I opted for their white face with black markings since my Camaro is LeMans Blue with white interior and white hockey stripes. Also added a Camaro script in the two main gauges along with a color band redline on the tach. The nighttime color of the gauge faces was spec'd as light blue (see comment below).

Here's a shot while trial fitting the insert. This is what I see through the steering wheel while driving. Its a big improvement on the stock layout. I might think about tweaking the angle of the two lowest gauges, but I'm not having a problem.

Just recently got this installed, I have one minor gremlin to iron out... its the lights on background color for the gauges. I may have a bad inverter because when I turn on the lights, the pointers all glow nice and red, but the white face is supposed to be blue and its not lighting up at all. Hope to tackle that tomorrow. Calibrating the gas tank was challenging, but I got it done. Also reset the GPS speedo odometer to read what was on my original speedometer because MASS DMV checks your mileage once a year at inspection time. Wouldn't look good if I had next to nothing on the odometer when they have a historical record on file.

Name:  QiYl6jk.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  98.5 KB

I decided that everybody and his mother seems to have the OEM woodgrain trim on their '69 SS cars, so thats why I went with the carbon fiber look. I had everything dipped in the most realistic pattern we could find. That included the console trim panels and the soon to be installed grab bar pane that goes above the glove box. I think it ties tit all together and I've received many compliments at last weeks cruise night.
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

SpeedHut
      Name:  IMG_0441_2.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  294.4 KB
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Multi function temp gauge NVU 68

Currently installed NVU 68 CAMARO gauge set.
      Im setting up for occasional auto cross days and have installed both oil cooler with temp sensor and trans cooler with temp sensors but debating on where to cleanly mount up two more gauges. Overall keeping the stockish look of the interior and dont want out of place gauges to drown out the simplicty and clean look of the factory dash.
      Has any one set up the coolant temp gauge on a multi pole switch to be able to toggle between all three sources?
      Attached Images Attached Images    

My 70 Elco has a Dakota Digital VHX dash, with white faces and blue lighting.

I haven't installed any "idiot" lights yet but I'm going to use the 12mm dash panel lights pictured below for at least the Emergency Brake and the Generator. Any working idiot light needs a sending device. In truth, we add analog gauges because idiot lights are very often useless. My SpeedHut GPS speedo... I ordered it with built in directional and high beam leds. They are tiny, but they are right in front of me not out of sight. The SpeedHut fuel gauge has a built in low fuel led so when you calibrate the tank and set empty & full parameters the gauge will light up before it goes empty... supposedly ar 1/8th tank.

The 12mm directional arrow units draw so little current that you could drive both the speedo directional and the somewhat larger and more graphic 12mm by simply tapping into the directional lines. Same goes for brights. I started off thinking I needed a slew of indicators, but I've been driving with this for two weeks and I'm having second thoughts about some of the indicators. The second image below shows a populated insert. I may actually put a Bluetooth capable radio in the "normal" position and use the left lower side for switches. I removed the cigarette lighter already and put in a dual port USB device that works great.

Country Flag: Turkey
      Soooo in love with my Speedhuts!
      Being handsome is only skin deep. But Badass goes to the bone.
      Mert Celet

I went with the Carbon Fiber Autometer gauges. Love 'em. Only thing I had to mod was turn signal lights - used small leds and drilled them into the top of the speedo and tack housing. Never even notice they are there unless you are looking for them. Still under construction, but about ready to turn over to the upholstery shop.

Speedhut

Name:  Photo Sep 10, 3 46 49 PM.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  221.0 KB
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Name:  20171118-untitled shoot-016.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  213.6 KB
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Did anyone count up the different brand of gauges and see which brand was the most popular? Just curious. I think Speedhut may be the most popular brand.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Just wrapping up putting a Racepak Iq3 Street in my 67.
      Doug L.
      68 RS/SS Conv. LSA/T56.
      67 RS Coupe LS2/T56 named "NutKse"

Speedhut Gauges

I saw Speedhut mentioned, ordered 3 gauges. They have a large number of options available for many of the features.
      Type of bezel, needle, face colors, number fonts, sizes,etc. You can get a custom label on the face.
      I haven't made a final decision on the dash they will go in. Speedo is GPS. Quarter mile, 60 foot, other performance can be measured. Tach has adj red line and shift points.

Name:  Speedo Day.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  58.7 KBName:  Speedo Night.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  60.1 KBName:  Tach Day.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  58.7 KBName:  Tach Night.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  59.6 KBName:  Quad Gauge Day.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  66.0 KBName:  Quad Gauge Night.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  62.1 KB
      1968 AMX, 4.6L DOHC, narrowed 9" w/ 4 link, IFS,tubbed, caged
      1969 AMX, 388 stroker w/ blower, TH400
      1970 AMX project rust bucket
      Trike project w/ 4.3L V6, TH350, vette rear (V6ON3 planned plate #)
      Chopper hard tail project
      1984 Honda 750 NIB engine/tranny, begging for frame and wheels

Not too many Classic Instruments fans out there? Why? Anything other than just looks?

not shooting for concours resto - tons of pro touring mods - compatability for conversions - more data than my basic fuel, speed and idiot lights.......are the a few i contemplated when swapping out.

NVU custom gauges. Before and after below.
      Name:  DE3B0E9F-2035-43CD-B53F-50796769174F.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  130.5 KB
      Name:  71B8792E-A39C-4764-AFFD-334EF5790A47.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  185.3 KB
      No clue why they are upside down, sorry.
      67 Ford Galaxie
      5.0 coyote engine, 2650 supercharger, T56 magnum, 9" truetrac
      68 Camaro RS vert
      LS3/T56 magnum, 9 inch, Ridetech F/R, Baer brakes
      74 BMW 2002 Tii

nice im runnin NVU as well with they built in the tic toc tac in new retro style

All autometer pro white face in stock dash locations here.
      71 Camaro. Looks great and functions as you would expect.
      Never an issue.

1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com