Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 52 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeff70 View Post
      Cool project Andrew. What's the plans for suspension, wheels & brakes?
      Thanks Jeff...

The goal is to make the car safe to drive. The suspension will be gone over and anything that is worn will be replaced. For brakes I am looking at various disk brakes swap kits. I like the idea of using OEM calipers and rotors, but most of the bracket kits out there seem to require bigger than 15" wheels...

This car will be a street/strip car, so no handling suspension modifications will be done. I might go with the full Calvert racing setup that includes mono leaf rear springs and Cal-Trak bars.

For wheels, I am keeping an eye out on Craigslist...LOL

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff70 View Post
      Cool project Andrew. What's the plans for suspension, wheels & brakes?
      FWIW, I've already been putting ideas in his head, that once he gets tired of the drag car thing... Vintage road race mods, but keep the tunnel ram poking out of the hood! We need more road course cars with exposed intake!!!
      -Shaun-
      L92/T56 Stalker 1711 pounds, LS power!
      73 Buick Century L92/T56 swap in progress

How about a few more pictures...

Changing the oil filter will be a snap!

Driver's side engine mount...

Modified stock transmission crossmember. It remains to be seem if it will work with a TKO 600...

Passenger side motor mounts from the front. As you can see there is plenty of room between the manifolds and the shock towers.

Passenger side motor mount from the rear:

Another shot of the driver's side engine mount from the rear:

Overall shot from underneath the car. As you can see it is a pretty solid car and doesn't have any sort of rust issues...

Stay tuned for more...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

So...I have been racking my brain about wheels and tires...and more specifically fitment in the rear...

The interweb is not giving up the secrets so easily...

I want to know if I can run a 275/60-15 in the rear on a 15x8 wheel with 4" BS...

I got a line on some old "turbine" wheels (think Dukes of Hazzard) in that size and I am trying to figure out if they will fit...

Anyone have a clue?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

So I had a chance to have a little time with my Cougar today. I took a few pictures of the rear suspension and I would love to know what some of the Ford experts see. I am not at all familiar with this chassis, so I don't know what is "stock" and what has been altered.

There are some older looking traction bars on the car. They look similar to CalTrak bars, but obviously they aren't. Does anyone have any idea as to their origins? I also see a booster spring on the driver's side...

Also, can anyone confirm that this is a 9" rear? LOL

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Here's a link that will help identify the rear.
      http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/02/nineinch/

Quote Originally Posted by wfo guy View Post
      Here's a link that will help identify the rear.
      http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/02/nineinch/
      Unless I am missing something, that is indeed a 9" housing....right?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Compare the pics of the center section to be sure. Also measure the axle tubes towards the brake end to see what size bearings it has. The 9" has two nuts under the pinion that are only accessable with an end wrench. If you can put a socket on them, it should be an 8". Either rear housing can have 2 7/8 tube ends or 3" I have found large tube 9" square center sections with the small bearing end that only is used with 28 spline axles. I have seen plenty of 3" ends that fit 28 or 31 spline axles. Looking at the carrier is the only way that I am comfortable in iding the rear.

Compare the pics of the center section to be sure. Also measure the axle tubes towards the brake end to see what size bearings it has. The 9" has two nuts under the pinion that are only accessable with an end wrench. If you can put a socket on them, it should be an 8". Either rear housing can have 2 7/8 tube ends or 3" I have found large tube 9" square center sections with the small bearing end that only is used with 28 spline axles. I have seen plenty of 3" ends that fit 28 or 31 spline axles. Looking at the carrier is the only way that I am comfortable in iding the rear.
      Thank you. I will look at the carrier and take a few pictures. By all accounts this is a 9"..I have documentation of a Detroit Locker for a 9" being purchased for this rear. I just wanted to make sure.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I had those exact ladder bar type traction bars on my 1968 Roadrunner back in late 1970s My memory is not perfect but I think Lakewood made them

Quote Originally Posted by Mo's1969 View Post
      I had those exact ladder bar type traction bars on my 1968 Roadrunner back in late 1970s My memory is not perfect but I think Lakewood made them
      I was Googling around a little bit and found information on the traction bars. Looks like they are:

They seem to have a "street" and "strip" mode. Right now mine are in the street mode, since the rear bolt is missing.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Thanks, I bought them old used from a swap meet around 1978 and I believe the guy told me they where Lakewood but they had no markings. In addition to helping with axle hop they improved cornering as well on the Road Runner but anything would have helped with that sled. Mine did not have rear bolt

Funny you have a Boss 302 sitting there. My 1969 Mustang Mach 1 is being rebuilt into Boss 302 type suspension except my engine is a stroked 427 Side Oiler making 482" now and obviously I have big block springs.

Definitely a nine inch.
      69 Torino GT Formal Roof
      420" W - TKO 600

What have you done with the original engine? Are you interested in letting it go? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pbartus View Post
      What have you done with the original engine? Are you interested in letting it go? Thanks.
      It's long gone. Went to Canada.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Cool project. Subscribed ! T

I see a lot of interesting things in that rear suspension. what is with the coil springs? I see the same leaf spring isolators that I had on my 67 fairlane. They make for a sloppy rear suspension to say the least. I ended up ditching them.

between the sway bar, traction bars and coil springs I imagine that rear end has to be bound up enough to cause some nasty oversteer, but may be the rotted spring isolators are making up for it.

Good work on the LS fit. very impressed.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Zach, the coil spring setup is a helper spring. The Mustangs and Cougars were know for weak rear leafs so to install larger rear tires, some sort of helper spring was very common. Binding won't be much of a problem. The track bars will be the only part that can cause difficulties. If the front and rear clamps are used, it makes the spring almost rigid.

Zach, the coil spring setup is a helper spring. The Mustangs and Cougars were know for weak rear leafs so to install larger rear tires, some sort of helper spring was very common. Binding won't be much of a problem. The track bars will be the only part that can cause difficulties. If the front and rear clamps are used, it makes the spring almost rigid.
      From what I understand, those traction bars have two mode: race and street. If you look carefully, the bars extend past the rear axle. In there rear section there is a hole that passes through the two plates with the middle bar sandwiched in between. The idea is that by taking the rear bolt out (as it is shown in the pictures) the suspension is loosened up and is favorable for street driving. Once you get to the track, you install the rear bolt, which effectively locks the traction bars in place. That's the idea at least (the the verbiage in the ad that I posted). By all accounts, these bars haven't been in production for decades...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

So today I did a little more investigative work on the rear axle. The car is in storage but I was able to get a few pictures with a long arm reach, a cellphone, and some luck...LOL

From the looks of it, this is definitely a 9" with a Nodular iron carrier. See the N in the background?

Also, check out this cool pinion snubber arrangement. Has anyone ever seen something like that before?

Does anyone have the secret decoder ring for Ford diff tags?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 52 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com