Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

How does Restomod Air compare to VA or Classic Auto Air?

I am in the market for AC for Dust Off and I was looking at Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air then I see Restomod air. Unfortunately their web site is big on glitz but not much in the way of hard technical information. I also don't see any reference to a condenser with their AC kit. Anyone run a Restomod Air system in a 1st Gen Camaro? How does it fit and function compared to VA or CAA?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

CAA and RestoMod are the same products.

Hmmmm, after looking over both web sites that does appear to be the case. Well since the CAA perfect fit system locates the heater hoses down by the RH valve cover on the 1st Gen Camaro and since I do not want my heater hoses there, I probably need to look at their custom solutions.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I choose Old Air Products and Clint has been great especially good with my tech issues. I am trying to install a Hurricane 2000 series in my 64 F-85 build and there is no plug and play ( a built to fit type system) for this car, and I'm a novice with this is a great feature. Price was great too! My 2 cents
      64 F-85 post car Resto-Mod project-my RV when I retire

I have used just about every ac company out there. After doing a vintage air install, that all I sell and install now.
      1972 Nova Ridetech, Forgeline, Falken Tires, Wilwood, Bowler Performance Transmission, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.

I have done a few searches with the same question. Many say CAA cools better with a concession being vague instructions. I did see in a recent Goodguys ad that these have been updated. I have also noticed lots of larger restoration shops use Vintage Air. I know cooling capability has a variety of factors affecting it such as door seals etc. Also read that with either system you need to use a trinary switch if running cooling fans. Personally think I will use CAA but don't think either would be a bad choice if installed correctly.

Vintage Air .....I also have used the others & will only use Vintage in my shop.

I used Vintage Air in the 71 Chevelle I built a couple years ago. Overall a pretty good kit. My only complaint was with the heater control valve that wouldn't shut off all the way. When I had the system on vent in the cool position, it would blow heated air through the vents.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Sorry for digging this one up from the grave, but does anyone have any more experience with these? I'm looking for cold, COLD, air, which points more towards Classic Auto Air or Restomod Air. However, VA seems to have a more mature product with options.

I've talked to all three, and of course all three would have you believe they are the best :-)
      Dude are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

I'm running a CAA Perfect Fit in my 1971 Camaro. I get ~37-39F air out the vents even on 90+ days. I'm using the Sanden FLX7 compressor with it.

Everything is thermally optimized to get those temperatures thoough.... well insulated interior and firewall, fan sealed to radiator, radiator sealed to front radiator support, and condenser sealed to radiator support (i.e., absolutely no air leaking around past the condenser or radiator... all air HAS to go through both). Also have a very powerful electric fan on the radiator as well as auxilliary fan on the condenser. All holes in the firewall for passing wires through are sealed up so no hot air leaking into the car from the engine compartment.

Couldn't be happier with the results. It's actually a couple of deg colder than my wife's 2017 Infiinity QX60... lol...

I''m probably going to tint the side windows soon though for additional thermal optimization and faster cool down...
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

I have used both CAA and Vintage and with the servo controls and new electronics, in my opinion, there is no difference between the two as far as product quality or cooling capabilities. Both are nice products. VA has more distributors and available parts in local shops if needed, but I have had CAA send parts and they have great customer service.

Yes, CAA has great customer service, I definitely agree with that. Friendly and knowledgeable people...
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

In scratching out notes while talking to each, here are the pros/cons I've come up with so far.

CAA - Pros
      Larger Coils - Claimed better cooling capacity
      CAA - Cons
      There appears to be a large diverter valve that mounts under the hood. It doesn't appear to be an attractive piece, either.
      No options for hose routing - their tech support is unsure about interference with an LS.

VA Pros
      Multiple hose routing options
      Well established product lines with lots of history
      VA Cons
      Possibly less cooling capacity - I've seen a few threads where people had trouble getting their kits to cool as well as they wanted

CAA and VA and Restomod all use the same ugly heater control valve (diverter valve), they are identical. You can route hoses any way you want to route hoses.

The VA kit has block off plates and hose kits to run the hoses out the original blower motor opening in the firewall. The CAA kit looks like the hoses can only come through the firewall in one location.

I have the CAA Flex fit Street Rod Cooler III in my Firebird and integrated it with my LS. They spec'd a universal hose kit at 6'. I ran them through the fender area and had some extra when finished. The diverter valve I hid in the fender area. Customer service has been great as mentioned above.

I've heard it was more about how CFM than temperature. Get the largest Condenser that'll fit in front of the radiator.
      Sean James

69 Firebird - Build Thread
      72 Firebird

Do you happen to have any pics of your engine compartment? I'm curious about where the hoses exit. I asked CAA and they didn't have any photos.

Mine are little to high but it is what it is.
      Name:  3F0A8256_fb.jpg
Views: 5759
Size:  246.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_3665.jpg
Views: 6155
Size:  219.6 KB
      Name:  IMG_3666.jpg
Views: 5949
Size:  142.8 KB
      Sean James

72 Firebird

Oh! I see. So that's not their firebird-specific kit, with universal hoses.

Thanks for the pics! That's an awesome car you've got there!

Correct it's not their Firebird specific kit. Thank you.

Sean James

72 Firebird

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com