Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 70 Formula 535

Country Flag: United States
      Thanks for the compliments. IA II blocks come dry decked. This is so you can drill the deck to match the water passages in whatever head you'll be using. This is an iron block that had some problems with the casting, we're just using it for mock up. I have aluminum block from a recent run for this car...the casting looks much much nicer than the iron block. The original plan was to paint it Pontiac metallic engine blue, but it's so pretty I was thinking of shooting it in clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug1 View Post
      I used the Pypes system for DSE cars on mine and am running a 535. It fit fairly well but might yet need a little tweaking on one or two spots. Still well worth the money just to get it to the point that it is already. I'm hoping to get the car done by spring but am always waiting on someone to send me parts. It's close now...
      Have you updated your thread lately? I'm curious to see how yours is turning out. Would love to see pics of engine bay, exhaust, rear end, fuel tank, etc., installed...also wondering what you've done to mitigate issues with the torque of that 535...yours is a t-top car IIRC?

Finally, a cool car without the cookie-cutter LS1, love those Pontiac engines. If I see one more LS engine swap I'm going to hurl.

Mike
      86 Buick GN, Stage 2 V6, Twin EFR Turbos

Quote Originally Posted by hemi8 View Post
      finally, a cool car without the cookie-cutter ls1, love those pontiac engines. If i see one more ls engine swap i'm going to hurl.

Mike
      71 Formula, 455 SD/KRE D-Ports, Crower solid cam, TKO 600, 3:73 Eaton posi. 17" ARE 200s, , 1LE brakes, Koni, Rancho adjustable bars, Hotchkis springs

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi8 View Post
      Finally, a cool car without the cookie-cutter LS1, love those Pontiac engines. If I see one more LS engine swap I'm going to hurl.

Mike
      Thanks Mike (and Zee)...although I understand why folks do the LS swap, it's always a disappointment to see one between the fenders of a classic Pontiac. One of the goals of the project is to show that an aluminum Pontiac engine can work every bit as well with respect to performance and reliability as a modern LS in a pro-touring type of application. Once things are sorted out it can serve as a template for others who might be considering an LS swap. The Pontiac route is be a bit more expensive for sure, but the difference isn't prohibitive.

This thing is bad ass! I also certainly understand the "holy crap it's been a year since I've posted" thing. Not everyone finishes their car in six months. LOL
      A.K.A: That bald guy
      Find me on Facebook or my personal website.

- 67 Camaro: Current Project Car

Quote Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post
      Have you updated your thread lately? I'm curious to see how yours is turning out. Would love to see pics of engine bay, exhaust, rear end, fuel tank, etc., installed...also wondering what you've done to mitigate issues with the torque of that 535...yours is a t-top car IIRC?
      You are correct. I'll see if I can get some updates posted. I installed DSE subframe connectors as part of a full new floor pan install. I also added a weld in hoop in the rear and G-Braces under the hood. I think the frame is pretty stiff at this point. i may switch to the AME front subframe if I detect any significant deflection but tests thus far show it is stout.

As soon as I get the custom pulley system from Luhn Performance, it will move quickly from there. I have the exhaust in, but am doing the electrical and plumbing now. That pulley system was critical because I went with a polished motor and used the polished RARE timing cover that takes the SBC water pump. I think it will be here in the next week or so. Fingers crossed :-)

Just updated it. Here's the link..

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ld-almost-done!

Thanks Mike (and Zee)...although I understand why folks do the LS swap, it's always a disappointment to see one between the fenders of a classic Pontiac. One of the goals of the project is to show that an aluminum Pontiac engine can work every bit as well with respect to performance and reliability as a modern LS in a pro-touring type of application. Once things are sorted out it can serve as a template for others who might be considering an LS swap. The Pontiac route is be a bit more expensive for sure, but the difference isn't prohibitive.
      Currently building a '73 TA along a similar build plan to yours. I have an aluminum 505 Poncho going in with a full Pro-touring suspension from DSE, Baer, etc. really digging your build, part of the inspiration that got me going on my build!
      My '67 Nova Build Thread http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=218954

'73 TA build. @projectarrowhead73

Quote Originally Posted by Doug1 View Post
      Just updated it. Here's the link..

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ld-almost-done!
      Thanks....it looks fantastic!

Finally lost my patience and dropped off the 9" at the differential shop...man that thing is heavy with the center section installed.

Also dropped off a Pontiac 8.2 rear end from a 65 GTO convertible...wouldn't have lived much longer with freshly rebuilt and stroked 400, ported heads, etc., and the 2.56 gears were a clutch and fun killer.

Nice build. Cant wait for some updated photos. It looks like its coming along great.

Finally got the axle situation straightened out. Turned out to be a combination of things. Strange built the axles wth different sized spacers for some reason, and one axle was an 1/8" too long. It was bottoming out on the lip at the end of the center section splines.

...and another year rolls by! I underestimated the amount of time and money i would need to finish the new house, move, etc. We moved in last June and am finally at the point where I can pick up where I left off last year. Just reinstalled the replacement shock that DSE sent, and installed the quadralink and 9” so at least we can roll the car around now.

The only change in the project is that I’m considering a 4.65” stroke crank instead of 4.5”. Not much difference in price for 553ci rather than 535. Should make ridiculous torque...

Welcome back, let me update you on 2017..Photobucket decided they wanted to be huge a**holes and most threads lost their pictures, it seems the first half of yours are ok.
      I still look forward to seeing more of yours in the future, it's the best year.

...and another year rolls by! I underestimated the amount of time and money i would need to finish the new house, move, etc. We moved in last June and am finally at the point where I can pick up where I left off last year.
      I hear you on that. Just beginning that phase personally... the last few months have been prepping for buying a new house, now I've put money down on a new house as of last Sunday, so the next 9+ months will be devoted to finishing a 68 Camaro I'm building for an uncle, then getting my house ready to sell and moving! 2018 will not be a good year for my Firebird!
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Al,
      THANK YOU for keeping your 70 Formula PONTIAC POWERED and not drinking the LS Kool-Aid.

Geno

I was pretty disappointed to learn about the photobucket deal. Kind of discouraged me from continuing with the thread, but I guess I'll press on with thumbnails. Here's a test using a photo of our new home from my brother in law's drone.

Name:  IMG_5503.JPG
Views: 1559
Size:  209.7 KB

I decided to get this project moving again. I think the last thing I did was reinstall the rear end after getting the axles sorted out.

I sat down yesterday and added up all expenses since I bought the car in April 2013. I was shocked to see how much I spent over the past 5 years. I tried to convince myself it wasn't so bad. After all, the metal and bodywork are done, the DSE pieces, rear end, and transmission are all in place. And I have the new block, heads, FI system, distributor, ignition, exhaust, intake, steering column and misc pieces all on a pallet. I felt good about it until this morning. I made a list of what I still needed and realized I'm only about 60% there! Paint, seats and interior, wheels & tires, brakes, fuel system, vintage air, wiring, gauges, glass, engine accessories, and so on, make up the remaining 40%.

I'm going to order fuel tank next week. After I have that in place, I'll install the exhaust, steering, hydraulic clutch, and starter so that I can have the headers made. After that, it goes to the chassis shop for some roll bar mods, and then back to Randy's for paint.

I'll do the assembly in my detached shop, which is just about as finished as it's going to be.

UMMM... sir you have a soccer field on your backyard! I suspect your in AZ?

House looks amazing.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast