Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by another69 View Post
      During recent re-assembly of my Strange 9" rear I decided to check axle endplay. I have the "Late big Ford" tapered A1013 bearings that are adjustable. I found .005" on one side, .014" on the other, which seemed excessive. After lots of frustration it finally hit me - the race contacts a steel ring next to the seal. This is what sets the bearing preload. I easily removed. 011" from one, .002" from the other. Now both sides are between .002" and .004". Timken spec is .001" to .005". Figured I would post in case anyone wants to tighten up their axles.
      I need to get back there and do this again. I shaved down the bearing retainers nearly flush and it improved the knockback, but not enough.

I'm afraid to apply pre-load to my Chrysler "green bearings" as they will die a quick death. I already have the tiny front Wilwood wheel bearings very tight on pre-load.

After all of this, I wish I would have chased an OEM floating caliper setup and not bothered with aftermarket brakes.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Country Flag: United States
      It's not the retainer, but a steel ring (unsure of the technical name) that contacts the bearing race and sets endplay/ preload. Timken spec is tighter than mine were by far.

In order from wheel towards diff: retainer, axle, seal, "steel ring", bearing, race, bearing "wedding ring". I milled down the race since it is easiest to remove.

The piston springs would be icing on the cake

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com