Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

mufflers for twin turbo

Which mufflers are you using with turbos? With no mufflers, the car sounds like a farm truck. Bullet mufflers took the drone out but it still doesn't give me the throaty sound I like.

Any suggestions or experience?

I have a 4" Magnaflow muffler and it sounds decent. Better than the Dynomax bullets, but not as good as the Flowmaster 3 chambers. Supposidely the Flowmasters don "flow" well with turbos tho because there is no exhaust pulse, just a constant whoosh. Years ago, I did dump my exhaust at the track and it picked up 2 tenths in the 1/4 without the Flows.
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

mufflers for twin turbo

On our twin turbo LS9 81 TA we used Summit Racing branded stainless mufflers. They drone a little but they're pretty quiet. The whole system has just a pair of those. Dual 3 inch.
      The mufflers are pretty cheap considering they're full polished stainless.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

I don't use any mufflers on my trans am. I do have a pair of high flow cats, but the inspectors haven't checked for them since I built this car, so I was planning on pulling them off some day. I do have an x-pipe, however.

I LIKE the sound, but its a little loud for wife

The porsche 911 turbos at the track also sound nice without mufflers.

Build it WITHOUT mufflers 1st, put the x-pipe in there and then decide. I would also do 3" instead of 4" pipe if you want throaty.
      Greg
      1976 Trans Am SacrilEdge
      twin turbo 455
      Ttops and 4spd
      one of 110 made
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ect&highlight=
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ilEdge-is-free!

I would not use anything other than a straight through design for a turbo car. Personally I have a single 14" long 4" Magnaflow and it is a bit too loud, but then it is a front fender exit. I plan to redo the exhaust eventually and add a cut out for the front and dual 3" straight through Magnaflow mufflers going out back.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com