Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Are door handles required for racing????

I was just wondering if door handles are required for drag racing??

Some people say they're required at the track and some say no, I want to shave the handles on my Chevy II but not if its gonna cause me problems when I go to the track!

Thanks, Gary

I was told that you need handles for the saftey crew to get into the car if you crash. Might be difficult to tell the crew guys where the hidden popper button is while you are unconscious.

I've been looking at cars on the road to figure out a clean handle to splice in. No luck yet.
      1965 Buick Skylark

Country Flag: United States
      Crap! There goes my shaved handles. They're really going to interfere with my stripe. I guess I need to get SCCA/NHRA rule books to verify this.

Ralph, you haven't gotten rule books yet????!!!!!!!!

-Matt

Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

here is what we are doing. we are flush mounting a button right to the skin of the door. so all you'd have to do is press in. its on the top edge of the door, and has to be big enough to see and operate with gloves on.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

(unofficially) Tony nailed it. As long as it's obvious that it opens the door and a fireman with gloves on can operate it, you're golden.

Lots of drag race cars with 'glass doors use a lever on the inside of the lexan, then cut about a 2" hole so you can reach a finger in and move the lever. Simple, light and effective. Looks way cool too. Not so good for foul weather cars though.
      Last edited by Matt@RFR; 09-11-2004 at 12:22 AM. Reason: stupid anti-cuss mechanism!
      -Matt

Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL
      here is what we are doing. we are flush mounting a button right to the skin of the door. so all you'd have to do is press in. its on the top edge of the door, and has to be big enough to see and operate with gloves on.
      Thats gonna look great and all, but at the track they worry about if you crash. Will the button activate the solenoids or be mechanical? If electric, they wont work well if the battery gets damages or disco'd. Just trying to play devils advocate, cause it would suck to not be able to play with the wonderful cars being built here.
      I am an avid drag racer, and as such dont want to be turned away because the first car I make smooth and pretty doesnt have stoopid door handles.
      1965 Buick Skylark

Well I actually "mocked" up a mechanical lever type handle basically like TonyL was talkin about but wasnt sure if I wanted to go with it yet.

I dont mind door handles, but I've smoothed everything else out and think that they might look outta place

door handles

You know it depends, if your running in any pro class ie: Pro stock -gas- or super street you'll need some sort of door release.I've seen alot of guys with shaved handles in pro-street 7.90 up class.
      If your just going up on a grudge night or a weekend test and tune you should have no problems. We run a 12 sec. car with no outer handles since day one and its never been a problem. Its not a good idea to not have a way for the safety crew to get you out.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

heres a shot of the typical lever setup i took today
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

Will the button activate the solenoids or be mechanical
      its totally mechanical. just a bar that goes straight down from the "sill" of the door to a heim joint at the catch. the pocket is spring loaded so it pops back up flush.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL
      its totally mechanical. just a bar that goes straight down from the "sill" of the door to a heim joint at the catch. the pocket is spring loaded so it pops back up flush.
      Now thats cool. You got an outside pic of it?
      1965 Buick Skylark

handles

what happens it you crash a c6 vet. if the battery goes dead you can't get in or out without pulling a cable in the back hatch,which by the way where is no way to reach for the driver's seat

still in the design phase. as soon as it works i'll post all the info it takes to make em.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

I had the same problem, that's why I went with flush door handles insteading of shaving them.
      1968 Plymouth Road Runner

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com