Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      1. Once my truck runs and drives, I'm going to plate it and insure it and start it up every night with open exhaust at 9:45 until 9:59 and then leave it in the driveway because the cops said if it runs and is plated and insured, there is nothing they can do about it. lol

2. I'm changing the name of the truck to "Blight."

If the cops come out again, I'm going to tell them before they can come on my private property to look for whatever this person has complained about this time, I'm going to need that person's contact information. We don't even have an HOA.

Jay
      Love it. I wrote "rust is not a crime" on the car cover back when that happened. My wife didn't love it, she likes to be a normal person, that's not my forte.

Quote Originally Posted by wfo guy View Post
      I bought one of those 8 stack injectors. Make sure you remove the plenum cover. Mine was full of shavings and rust. I machined a bunch of stuff and turned the throttle bodies around. I had to use the newer small injectors to make that work. What year of front drive is on that engine?
      Yeah I did take of the plenum cover while chasing some cruddy threads on the vacuum port, and there were a few shavings in it.

The front drive is from a 96 explorer. I'd prefer the look of some more compact and old-school brackets, but this should be really reliable. I hear this is the best accessory setup available on the SBF.

Just finished building my engine wiring harness:

http://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/20...hh-yeahhh.html

Name:  DSC_0108.JPG
Views: 1053
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7325.JPG
Views: 1054
Size:  26.6 KB

She fired right up, first try. Now I've come to find out that the engine was only running on 6 cylinders, but I've located the problem and should have it fixed shortly. I screwed up while configuring my ECU and fried two coils, I've now got the ECU figured out and new coils on the way. Felt really good to get it running on the first attempt though. Made me feel like I almost knew what I was doing.

More details for those who are interested:
      https://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/2...-six-days.html

Looks like it's coming along nicely!

Your intake was from SpeedMaster, if I recall. So far, how do you like it? Hopefully after you start driving it more this year you can give the us some feedback on it... it looks so tempting!
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by chunger View Post
      Looks like it's coming along nicely!

Your intake was from SpeedMaster, if I recall. So far, how do you like it? Hopefully after you start driving it more this year you can give the us some feedback on it... it looks so tempting!
      That's correct, it's a speedmaster intake. Impressions so far: it doesn't take much throttle input to rev. It's a little touchy, because the throttle bores are so big. And this may just be an issue with my throttle cable, but it's very easy for it to hang at 2% throttle which means it is revving to 1700 rpm or so. Ideally I'd run this intake with a DBW motor, but my ECU is in no way capable of that.

I'll keep you updated as I am able to drive it. It definitely sounds the part though 😁

She's firing on all 8 now! Might have a ring seal issue though, I noticed one of the bores had a lot of taper when I had the engine apart.

http://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/20...day-which.html

Nice, sounds healthy!
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

Congrats one getting her running, it sounds great.

If you mentioned this and I forgot, then I apologize but what are the brackets on the front drive for the ps pump and the ac compressor from?

Quote Originally Posted by wfo guy View Post
      If you mentioned this and I forgot, then I apologize but what are the brackets on the front drive for the ps pump and the ac compressor from?
      It's all stock Explorer stuff.

Thank you. I used an explorer engine before but the brackets on the left side were missing so I didn't recognize them.

Neat project! I've got the same intake on a 363. Make sure you go through a balancing effort using one of those snail meters. Found it quite a challenge to get the linkage and all the throttles equalized.

There's a manual on Borla/TWN on doing this process FYI. My guess is your hanging throttle is due to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt67 View Post
      Neat project! I've got the same intake on a 363. Make sure you go through a balancing effort using one of those snail meters. Found it quite a challenge to get the linkage and all the throttles equalized.

There's a manual on Borla/TWN on doing this process FYI. My guess is your hanging throttle is due to this.
      I'm a little confused how you would do that on this intake... First, there is no vacuum port on these throttles, so how would you attach the meter? is there some other type of meter that is different from the standard vacuum gauge hooked up to a vacuum port? and second, the manifold has a 3/8 inch hole from each port leading to a common plenum, so wouldn't they all have the same vacuum anyway, so long as they are close?

Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by neongreen View Post
      I'm a little confused how you would do that on this intake... First, there is no vacuum port on these throttles, so how would you attach the meter? is there some other type of meter that is different from the standard vacuum gauge hooked up to a vacuum port? and second, the manifold has a 3/8 inch hole from each port leading to a common plenum, so wouldn't they all have the same vacuum anyway, so long as they are close?

Any info you can provide would be appreciated.
      Here's the instruction sheet. https://www.borlainduction.com/media..._throttles.pdf. You basically stick the device in each cylinder to check flow. Mine were way off. Some read high as 10, most in 4-6 range. Bigger numbers mean throttles are more open. The instructions don't cover what to do if a single throttle is higher than the others. What you do in that case is loosen the set screw on the aluminum collars that's between the throttles, then you can adjust it to be more closed. Then tighten screw down again. Takes some time, but essential to get it right.

On a side note, you're lucky your vacuum port worked! On mine the runners weren't drilled so no vacuum signal. Speedmaster wouldn't warranty (1 month past when I finally found issue). Was able to fix by drilling holes myself but still pissed that a company wouldn't warranty something so glaringly their fault.
      1967 Mustang Fastback
      ITB 363
      www.oversteergarage.com

Yup just like the old SU carb syc gauge.

Heres the latest. Fan shroud, patched trans tunnel, synced throttles checked brake pressure.

http://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/20...-elephant.html

The interior is finally coming together. Put down MLV and carpet.

Name:  DSC_0273.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0272.JPG
Views: 369
Size:  53.7 KB

https://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/2...underfoot.html

http://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/20...t5-pocket.html

Trashed the pocket bearing in my T5, so I had it machined to accept a tapered roller bearing.

Name:  DSC_0296.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  31.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0298.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  40.2 KB

Attachment 186954

Name:  DSC_0148.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  32.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0167.JPG
Views: 204