Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Centerforce View Post
      Love this build concept and love your writing style. Abolutely first-rate on both accounts.

We're also sorry to hear that your prior experience with the Centerforce pressure plate didn't meet your expectation. I have to wonder if our Dual Friction system would have been what you're looking for on the Falcon, but you've already installed a different clutch so it's moot anyway. The important thing is that what's on the car matches what you want from the it; we always prefer that you prefer our clutches, but we also know that doesn't always happen. It doesn't change that we like your build.

Thanks/sorry for letting me interrupt your build thread. Carry on.
      Thanks for the compliment! Perhaps I worded my evaluation of the centerforce clutch wrong. It really was an excellent clutch for it's purpose, I just think I was asking it to do too much. To expect a 9" clutch to have a light, LA traffic friendly pedal feel and still hold 400 lb-ft is probably an unrealistic expectation, hence my move away from the centerforce stg II. Perhaps a dual friction could do all that, I don't know since I've never used that product. I will say though, that if I didn't live in a high traffic area, I'd probably still be using a CF stg II.

Since I've already got you here, I wonder if you could provide a little troubleshooting advice for me regarding the clutch. As you know, I'm running a Fox body 5.0 bellhousing and fork. This is a cable setup which I've attempted to convert to hydraulic using a wilwood master and CNC push style slave mounted to the bellhousing via a bracket. When I depress the pedal it is really stiff, and feels like something is grating pr scraping as the fork moves forward. When I release the pedal, the fork and slave do not retract. I can press the pedal again with the same result. Fork moves forward, but will not retract after releasing the pedal. On the third depression of the pedal, the fork will move forward and then return when the pedal is released as you would normally expect. In order to get the fork to fully retract, it must be hit with a hammer repeatedly.

Additionaly, the other day I was degreeing my cam and when I went to rotate the engine and at a certain point it locked up. After moving it back and forth a bit, it finally came free. But even now when I rotate it, as the engine passes through the 160-150 BTDC it gets tight again, and when I force it through that range, I get a kind of scraping noise (maybe the clutch disk is shifting?). Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by neongreen View Post
      Thanks for the compliment! Perhaps I worded my evaluation of the centerforce clutch wrong. It really was an excellent clutch for it's purpose, I just think I was asking it to do too much. To expect a 9" clutch to have a light, LA traffic friendly pedal feel and still hold 400 lb-ft is probably an unrealistic expectation, hence my move away from the centerforce stg II. Perhaps a dual friction could do all that, I don't know since I've never used that product. I will say though, that if I didn't live in a high traffic area, I'd probably still be using a CF stg II.
      Totally understandable. The Dual Friction and DYAD clutches we make both have excellent holding capacity without prompting leg-muscle workouts, but no worries. Centerforce is based in Rancho Santa Margarita so we know exactly what you mean.

Since I've already got you here, I wonder if you could provide a little troubleshooting advice for me regarding the clutch. As you know, I'm running a Fox body 5.0 bellhousing and fork. This is a cable setup which I've attempted to convert to hydraulic using a wilwood master and CNC push style slave mounted to the bellhousing via a bracket. When I depress the pedal it is really stiff, and feels like something is grating pr scraping as the fork moves forward. When I release the pedal, the fork and slave do not retract. I can press the pedal again with the same result. Fork moves forward, but will not retract after releasing the pedal. On the third depression of the pedal, the fork will move forward and then return when the pedal is released as you would normally expect. In order to get the fork to fully retract, it must be hit with a hammer repeatedly.

Additionaly, the other day I was degreeing my cam and when I went to rotate the engine and at a certain point it locked up. After moving it back and forth a bit, it finally came free. But even now when I rotate it, as the engine passes through the 160-150 BTDC it gets tight again, and when I force it through that range, I get a kind of scraping noise (maybe the clutch disk is shifting?). Any thoughts?
      Let me run it by our tech guy, but is it possible that the fork isn't happy with the way the slave is moving it? Maybe something quietly got damaged during assembly? I'm sure you've already checked it over to make sure that's not the case, but we have a list of things to check from our Clutch Diagnostic Guide:

1. Release linkage not properly adjusted or reset
      2. Flywheel not surfaced before a new clutch installed
      3. Flywheel surfaced improperly—incorrect flywheel step or cup dimension
      4. Flywheel machined too thin or not manufactured to stock (OEM) specifications.
      5. Release linkage worn or damaged
      6. Hydraulics defective, leaking or air is trapped in hydraulic system
      7. Release linkage cable stretched or damaged
      8. Improper clutch fork geometry due to flywheel being too thin or bellhousing deeper than
      stock
      9. Improperly adjusted pivot ball
      10.Clutch disc installed improperly (backwards)
      11.Clutch disc hitting flywheel bolts
      12.Clutch disc binding on transmission input shaft
      13.Input shaft bent causing clutch disc runout
      14.Pressure plate assembly and/or clutch disc bent or damaged
      15.Clutch disc is too thick or has excessive marcel
      16.Pressure plate has defective or damaged drive straps
      17.Damaged, worn or improperly installed pivot bearing/bushing
      18.Damaged or worn throw out bearing collar

After doing a little testing and calling CNC about their slave cylinder, I think the < 2 degrees misalignment on the pushrod is causing the piston to bind in the bore of the slave cylinder.

http://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/20...ts-rollin.html

http://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/20...lights-go.html

Microwave Chimichangas, Lady Gaga's meat dress, and Satanists writing the terms and conditions of the Angry Birds app... Wait, am I a car blogger or a conspiracy therorist?

This is the final chapter of the clutch slave cylinder saga... I hope.

fuel tank leak check and paint

battery box mounted in trunk

finishing touches on intake manifold

brake lines finished

http://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/20...lights-go.html

Microwave Chimichangas, Lady Gaga's meat dress, and Satanists writing the terms and conditions of the Angry Birds app... Wait, am I a car blogger or a conspiracy therorist?

This is the final chapter of the clutch slave cylinder saga... I hope.

fuel tank leak check and paint

battery box mounted in trunk

finishing touches on intake manifold

brake lines finished
      Flattered to be mentioned in the blog (even if we weren't a huge help), even more excited to see Red Green in there.

http://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/20...ny-riddle.html

new firewall, trans tunnel, and PIZZA!

http://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/20...-vegemite.html

Wiring harness and pissing off the neighbors.

The wiring looks great! Nosy busy body neighbors. Blah!

Congrats on the fire up. It will be cool to see pics of this one sideways dragging a cone.

You're not alone in your wiring lust. I bought a shrink tubing label printer when doing my buggies wiring... (NERD)
      CAM-T Autocross Fox Mustang
      LX mustang autocross on the "cheap"...
      1953 PickEmUp
      1953 Chev Pickemup

shrink tubing label printer

I need this!!

http://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/20...ugh-miles.html

exhaust, catch can, dipstick, power steering, engagement

Name:  IMG_20150801_171057.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  56.3 KB

Nice progress--my own Falcon has been in kind of reverse progress as of late, and will probably remain an unmoved pile for some time. It's good to see yours moving, along with your blog. You've made a fine choice in pizza, by the way.

On the sound effects from your startup video: horror movie monster defeated by turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
      Nice progress--my own Falcon has been in kind of reverse progress as of late, and will probably remain an unmoved pile for some time. It's good to see yours moving, along with your blog. You've made a fine choice in pizza, by the way.

On the sound effects from your startup video: horror movie monster defeated by turbo?

Sorry to hear the Bird isn't flying!

Enough boost will defeat anything.

Just read the whole thread. I'm digging it. Looking forward to seeing & reading more.

Thanks, Tim!

http://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/20...n-seafood.html

Sometimes I get distracted by side projects, like putting an RB20DET into a first-gen ranger.

Love the falcon, like how your doing something different also! Inspires me on nights like tonight when I can't sleep to come in the garage a finish up building my sons LIL red wagon as we call it. Basically a bad A$$ go cart redone on a wagon! All is custom built, need to rethink a few things. He's 10 and is pulls the front tires! Lol. Racing fuel doesn't help! Love build bud keep up the good work.

Thanks, Tim!

http://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/20...n-seafood.html

Sometimes I get distracted by side projects, like putting an RB20DET into a first-gen ranger.

o_O

O_o

O_O

Quote Originally Posted by TAT View Post
      Love the falcon, like how your doing something different also! Inspires me on nights like tonight when I can't sleep to come in the garage a finish up building my sons LIL red wagon as we call it. Basically a bad A$$ go cart redone on a wagon! All is custom built, need to rethink a few things. He's 10 and is pulls the front tires! Lol. Racing fuel doesn't help! Love build bud keep up the good work.
      Sounds like a fun project! Powered by a Briggs and Stratton?

http://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/20...-to-sleep.html

Got lights in the Falcon and took her for a drive.

The ranger became blood brothers with a Cherokee.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com