Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14
    Country Flag: Sweden

New rendering!

I haven't done much on the car the last few years, but I have at least done some virtual work!

The last weeks I have reacquainted myself to Blender. It was a few years since I used the software and there is a new version out so there is a lot new to learn (not my strong point) as well. I have forgotten almost all of what I knew a few years ago, so it´ll take some time to get up to speed. Nevertheless I have managed to render a decent picture of my Z-car! More will come!

Name:  Datsun 19-12-31.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  53.6 KB
    Henrik

"Mechanix Menace": An LS7-motivated, chopped and heavily modified 1973 Datsun 240Z

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z

Nose job!

My Z-car will be treated to a nose job, but compared to most human nose jobs, this one actually will be an extension of the nose.

SInce I will move the front axle forward between 100-150 mm (4-6 inches), the front tire would hit the headlight if I didn't extend the nose. The reason for moving the front axle forward is to lengthen the wheelbase to make the car less twitchy and to improve weight distribution. Another benefit of extending the nose is that it'll be lower and more aerodynamic.

Last Sunday a Swedish car magazine (Bilsport) came here to do an article (probably a small one) on my car, so I wanted it to look as complete as possible. In order to achieve this, I put the rear hatch and hood on. The car is mounted on stands, and the forwardmost prevents putting the headlight buckets on.

Therefore I thought, what the hell, this is good time to mock up the hood extension and extended headlight bucket. I went to town with cardboard and tape, and after a few hours I feel that I got a decent result! The hood is extended 60 mm (2.4 inches).

In my CAD model of the car, I haven't yet done this nose extension, but that is something I need to do, to see what it looks like from a distance. In the garage I can't get very far from the car, but so far I am pretty satisfied.

Name:  20200911_165403(0)_liten.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  263.7 KBName:  20200911_190209_liten.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  234.9 KBName:  20200911_214346_liten.jpg
Size:  268.1 KBName:  20200911_214633_liten.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  307.4 KBName:  20200911_214652_liten.jpg
Size:  254.4 KBName:  20200911_214717_liten.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  242.1 KBName:  20200911_214750_liten.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  339.8 KBName:  20200911_214808_liten.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  330.8 KB
    Henrik

"Mechanix Menace": An LS7-motivated, chopped and heavily modified 1973 Datsun 240Z

Country Flag: United States
    Glad that you're still working on this awesome project!

Andrew
    1970 GTO Version 2.0
    1967 Cougar build
    GM High-Tech Performance feature
    My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
    Instagram @projectgattago
    Dr. EFI
    I deliver what EFI promises.
    Remote Holley EFI tuning.
    Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
    Glad that you're still working on this awesome project!

Andrew
    Thanks Andrew!

Yeah, it's not the world's quickest progress, due to different reasons! With this magazine article, I think I will get a kick in the butt to speed things up though!
    Henrik

Just saw this for the first time, and spent a good bit of my workday pouring over all the details. I sooo want to see this succeed. I love your Cad skills, and even the renders in blender(such a powerful tool). Even more impressive is your ability to pull it off. yeah it's taking a long time but most projects of this magnitude do, keep finding minutes to hack away at it . This was real inspiring to see this, please keep posting progress, and if you have any advice on how you got such a clean CAD model I'm all ears. I've been using Fusion 360 for about 3 years now and have tried photogrammetry, and SVG views I bought online, but each one has it's weakness. Can't wait to see this thing destroy the internet in 2021!!!

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
    Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
    FAYS2 Watts link
    Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech442 View Post
    Just saw this for the first time, and spent a good bit of my workday pouring over all the details. I sooo want to see this succeed. I love your Cad skills, and even the renders in blender(such a powerful tool). Even more impressive is your ability to pull it off. yeah it's taking a long time but most projects of this magnitude do, keep finding minutes to hack away at it . This was real inspiring to see this, please keep posting progress, and if you have any advice on how you got such a clean CAD model I'm all ears. I've been using Fusion 360 for about 3 years now and have tried photogrammetry, and SVG views I bought online, but each one has it's weakness. Can't wait to see this thing destroy the internet in 2021!!!
    Thanks a million jetmech442!

Your comment really warms my heart and gives me inspiration to press on! Good choice on how to spend a workday too!

Regarding CAD; I have used Siemens NX to model the chassis. And, as you said, I use Blender to model the body etc. In both cases I have "manually 3D-scanned" the body and roll cage using a cross line laser level, levels, tape measures, carpenter's squares, etc. If you have looked through the thread, you have probably seen this. This has taken hundreds of hours... If I would have had access to a good handheld 3D-scanner this could probably have been done during a day's work, or two... I have double checked some of the dimensions a few times, and in a lot of cases, I think I have a dimensional tolerance of around 1-2 mm. Length and width coordinates are the trickiest to measure. For me, the trick is just to be meticulous, precise and patient! For the background in Blender I have used free HDRI background pictures you can find online. I'll post a newer better render below!

I will definitely keep posting. If you like you can add me as a friend on Facebook. Sometimes I post stuff there, which may not end up here. I also post more pictures there, as it's a lot quicker than doing it here, plus I don't want to run out of file storage here!

My name is Henrik Schiölde (Schiolde)

I am actually developing the Blender model right now, as we speek! Like you say, it is a powerful tool! I think it's fantastic that it's free, and that there are so many online tutorials!
    Henrik

New rendering!

I realized I haven't posted the latest render I have made a while ago. There is still lots to do, like headlight buckets etc., but slowly I'm getting there!

For interested people, I have lot's of different versions with different body colors. You can search for "Mechanix Menace" on Facebook. Or check out my personal FB page; Henrik Schiölde (Schiolde).

Name:  Datsun 20-05-16 orange_liten.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  198.5 KB
    Henrik

This looks better than the one They're going to make. I always love seeing your updates.
    Wayne
    Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
    Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
    This looks better than the one They're going to make. I always love seeing your updates.
    Thanks Wayne!
    Personally I think the new Z looks horrible, for a number of reasons.One being that the roof starts sloping down immediately after the windshield, which I really dislike. It almost creates an upside-down V together with the windshield, instead of them creating one gentle curve. Then again, a lot of sports cars have looked like that the last decade or so. Nissan says it's not coming to Europe, so at least they did one thing right!
    Henrik

I agree that's why I'll be watching this one lol

Wayne
    Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
    Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

3d modeling workflow!

I am continuing the job of 3D-modeling my Datsun 240Z body. I thought it maybe could be interesting to show the full workflow in one post. I'll use today's job as an example. There are lots of other alternatives I use as well.

1. Measure the interesting part of the body. Today I made cardboard templates and used a tape measure to get the length coordinates, and a laser level to measure the height coordinates. Other times I measure both length, transverse and height coordinates.

Name:  20201008_172902_liten.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  263.8 KB
    Name:  20201008_172948_liten.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  214.9 KB

2. Trace the template on paper.

3. Get the dimensions of the trace with the proper accuracy.

Name:  20201008_211829_liten.jpg
Size:  256.9 KB

4. Sketch the template in CAD (I use Siemens NX).

Name:  CAD1_liten.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  128.2 KB

5. Extrude the sketch to a proper thickness (in this case 1mm).

Name:  CAD2_liten.jpg
Size:  115.8 KB

6. Place a coordinate system in the proper location in the template model to enable it to be added to the full body template CAD model.

Name:  CAD3_liten.jpg
Size:  113.7 KB

7. Add the template model to the full body template CAD model and move it to the correct position.

Name:  CAD4_liten.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  181.3 KB
    Name:  CAD5_liten.jpg
Size:  191.6 KB
    Name:  CAD6_liten.jpg
Size:  176.1 KB

8. Export the body template CAD model to an STL file.

9. In the surface modeling software (I use Blender), import the STL file.

Name:  ö_Blender_1_liten.jpg
Size:  157.3 KB

10. Place the body template file in the proper position.

11. By moving the proper vertices in the body wireframe, modify the body model to better fit the templates.

Name:  ö_Blender_2_liten.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  169.6 KB
    Name:  ö_Blender_3_liten.jpg
Size:  158.7 KB
    Name:  ö_Blender_4_liten.jpg
Size:  159.5 KB
    Name:  ö_Blender_5_liten.jpg
Size:  159.2 KB
    Name:  ö_Blender_6_liten.jpg
Size:  144.9 KB
    Name:  ö_Blender_7_liten.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  137.1 KB
    Name:  ö_Blender_8_liten.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  169.5 KB

It is a pretty tedious procedure, but fun! I have spent many, many hours doing this, but at least it is totally free, which a decent scan done with a good 3D scanner isn't...

Also, by doing this manually, I get a much better feeling for how the different body lines flow and interact, which will help me when I'm going to design fender flares, spoilers etc.
    Henrik

Very cool car!
    Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    Very cool car!
    Thanks John B!
    Henrik

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14