Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Fast EFI Problems (Won't Start)

Ok.. first time posting here and could use some help. First off I'm going to explain the things I've done up to this point.

I have a brand new Fast EFI system that came with a custom built 427 Stroked Windsor motor. Everything has been installed to specifications of the instructions. I have not been able to get the system to send an Injector Pulse to the fuel injection unit. I have plenty of spark and fuel pressure is reading 43 PSI as it should according to instructions. I am getting 00 for interference or "noise" (which is a good as it can get) and the tach on the hand held is reading correct along with other readings seem to work fine. I know this because when I pour fuel direct into the injectors, the motors fires up and i get a read on the hand held. I have sent back two ECU units and wiring harness so far and Im on my third ECU and Wiring Harness now and somehow Im getting the same problem out of all three ECU's. I know.. it seems impossible and even unlikely that three units could be bad and none are sending a signal to injectors to release fuel but we have torn everything down and made sure power is connected to battery along with grounds straight to battery. We are wired directly to ignition power as well to make sure there is no interference. Ive been through a few hours of Tech support with fast and they don't know what it could be. Does mean much though, as it seems most of the tech support people do not know much of anything to help us troubleshoot. Any thoughts?
      Thanks

What system is it and where does the ecu get its cam or crank signal?

Quote Originally Posted by 72BBSwinger View Post
      What system is it and where does the ecu get its cam or crank signal?
      It's the Fast EFI easy system 1.0.
      The signal comes straight from the distributor or the 6al. Tried both.

Are you using the tach filter they supply? Have you tried another one?
      Have you verified the 6AL is putting out a tach signal? If the handheld display shows rpm's, it should trigger the injectors.
      Does the ECM light pulse when cranking it over?
      Do the injectors shoot a priming shot upon key-on?

Is the fuel regulator inlet & outlet plumbed correctly? Not backwards?
      Pressure & return lines not reversed?
      It sounds like something other than ECM or harness.

I had problems with the fuel pump not coming on a few times, & had a no start. Not sure if it was a speck jamming the pump, or a faulty relay, but it never did it again. They want a filter on the pump inlet side.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 05-10-2014 at 08:27 PM.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Use the tach out from the 6al and leave tach unhooked.

Yes, connect to the MSD tach out only. If you connect to the coil, it will damage the ECM. You should be able to connect the tach too, but leave it off for now.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      Yes, connect to the MSD tach out only. If you connect to the coil, it will damage the ECM. You should be able to connect the tach too, but leave it off for now.
      I never connected to coil. Im going to work on it tomorrow with a guy named greg at Fast. We are going to go line by line to see if we can find the short (if there is one). I have already pulled the Computer apart and was able to send a negative signal to the computer to force the injectors to spray. So i know there is cant be a short in the harness. Maybe the computer thinks its flooded?? I removed the 02 sensor all together to see if they would trick the computer and nothing. I get no "pre-squirt" either.

If the lines were backwards or revered I wouldn't get any fuel when I forced the computer to send the pulse to the injectors so everything is hooked up correct but I'm going to go over that all again too. As far as the Tach goes, im getting a correct reading on the RPM's through the handheld. Not sure where else to look at this point but I'm about over messing with this unit. Not sure what else could cause the computer to not want to send a pulse other then a short of some sort.

Well, after spending much of the morning with tech support from Fast we finally figured out the problem. The MAP Sensor was bad and would not allow the computer to send the injector pulse. The MAP Reading on the Hand Held read "9" which i told to every tech that we spoke which they said was fine. Come to find out, it needed to read 100. Threw in a new map sensor and she fired right up. So... just a heads up. If you buy anything from Fast, do not count on the tech department to help trouble shoot problems. It took going all the way to the top for them to tell me what the issue was. Thanks for the input and help!

Brian

Glad you got it figured out finally. Please post how it runs and drives.

Quote Originally Posted by swirvinit View Post
      Well, after spending much of the morning with tech support from Fast we finally figured out the problem. The MAP Sensor was bad and would not allow the computer to send the injector pulse. The MAP Reading on the Hand Held read "9" which i told to every tech that we spoke which they said was fine. Come to find out, it needed to read 100. Threw in a new map sensor and she fired right up. So... just a heads up. If you buy anything from Fast, do not count on the tech department to help trouble shoot problems. It took going all the way to the top for them to tell me what the issue was. Thanks for the input and help!

Brian
      obengston had some issues:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...89#post1026589

... and it turned out to be his Map sensor:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...63#post1027963

Do two examples make a trend?
      Michael Mosley
      1968 Barracuda
      Plano, TX

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...in-Plano-Texas

FAST was equally worthless when I tried to get tech support from them... ended up returning the whole unit to Summit for a full refund. I probably could've figured out the issue with the system, but I was really returning the experience of dealing with that company.
      1967 Camaro - LM7, T56, TVS, 12.7:1
      1996 Impala SS - DD

Did it throw an error code? Seems like it should. I guess their quality control doesn't include actually verifying that the sensors work.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      Did it throw an error code? Seems like it should. I guess their quality control doesn't include actually verifying that the sensors work.
      No error codes. My thoughts exactly, I questioned the tech about not getting any error codes and he didn't have anything at all to say excecpt for "Sorry no one else caught that". Pretty sad.

MMosley, I can't believe that this company is allowed to offer a product with such poor support. I googled "Fast EFI Problems" and i see there are plenty of people having problems with there product and especially support. There are less expensive systems out there that are more reliable IMO. Lesson learned. Car is almost finished, will let you guys know how she does on the road with in the next few weeks. Thanks!
      Work Hard and Play Harder

1967 Ford Mustang Fastback GT500 E-Clone

I have had a different experience with FAST. I have found them to be very helpful! I would, however, suggest you buy your parts from an experienced Pro-Touring vendor that is knowledgeable about your particular car (1st gen Camaro, 2nd gen Camaro, 65-66 Mustang, Buick Grand National, etc). They can generally help get you started up much faster as they will know what your combo is and will know many of the common pitfalls.
      Conrad
      Original owner '84 Grand National. CAS V1 (big) front-mount intercooler, Comp roller hyd cam, Champion Al intake/heads, T66 turbo, 3.5" custom cat-back exhaust, RideTech TruTurn front & DSE rear swaybars/ctrl arms, Ridetech 3-way coilovers, Baer 6P 14/13. FAST w/TouchScreen & GM Flex Fuel sensor, 120 lb injectors, Ricks SS tank, Aeromotive Eliminator pump.

I've installed two and they have worked well. Called tech line a couple of times and got answers to some sensor questions. Only issue I had was the tach buffer module blew out because the car had an HEI distributor with a very dirty tach signal, but I'd been warned. HEI can't be reliably used unless you install an MSD module which has a clean signal.

alphaenvirmgt, I purchased the motor as a complete set up and did call the builder. He walked through everything but has never run into the issues that I was running into. Most of time, of those that were have problems which wasn't too many, could get the car started but couldn't keep it running. My issue was the motor didn't even act like it wanted to start. Just kept cranking cause it wasn't getting a lick of fuel. Im not saying Fast is a horrible company but I am just dissapointed that they were unable to properly diagnose the issue from me giving them specifics on the hand held readings. Which seemed to be the clear problem in the end. At this moment the car is running strong and not having issues.

One last note for anyone who owns this system. DO NOT USE THE MAP SENSOR THEY GIVE YOU. ITS A CHINA MADE POS. Go direct through GM and get the part from there. Way more reliable. Just my opinion.
      Work Hard and Play Harder

1967 Ford Mustang Fastback GT500 E-Clone

This is Comp Cams forum for FAST users.
      http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/forum...ort-forum.235/

Helped me when I ran the same version on a previous project.

Perry

I’d like to add with any new install, take a look at all the sensor readings before attempting to start the engine. Look up what the normal readings should be & put the list with your installation manual for reference.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com