Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Country Flag: United States

Modern Bullitt Charger build

I started the restoration of my 1968 Dodge Charger with a plan to build a modern Bullitt. The outside of the car will look like the movie car with exception to the wheels, tires and a lower stances.
      I’m planning on a set of one off 17” wheels to match the look of the hubcaps use on the Bullitt Charger. This will allow larger brakes and wider tires. This hubcap was made to look like a mag wheel and now
      I’m going to have a wheel made to look like a hubcap. The motor will be a gen III Hemi 6.4 or the new Hellcat if it would fit under the stock hood? And a 6 speed manual trans. I have a lot of details to work out but for now
      I will bag and tag the parts and get the car media blasted.
      Thanks
      Pat

This how car looked when I bought it a 1 ½ years ago.

And now the parts start coming off!

Going to be a long ride but looks like you have a good car to start with, why blow it all apart?
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Should be awesome, I agree though about why the need to blast it? Is it not black enough?

Looks like a good start I agree with the guys, why blast it? is there noticeable cancer that we can't see?
      DMC69-69ss350

The body is in great shape, very little cancer with all of its original panels and never in an accident. Some rust in the back window area low in the track and possibly some under the vinyl roof will not know until I remove it. The car was a survivor when purchased by the second owner and he Painted over the original green paint with black and just taped over all all the trim instead of removing it. The car is a five or 10 footer at best.
      Thanks
      Pat

Hi Pat, Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by this...
      Quote Originally Posted by keepat View Post
      The car is a five or 10 footer at best.
      Its from 4-30-2014 post #5
      Thanks, Brian

It basically means that the car looks great from 5 or 10 feet away, but if you get closer you can find imperfections.

Now, I think you'd have to be looking at it with a microscope to find any. LOL.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      It basically means that the car looks great from 5 or 10 feet away, but if you get closer you can find imperfections.

Now, I think you'd have to be looking at it with a microscope to find any. LOL.

Jay
      Thanks Jay, That's what I thought but wasn't sure.

On my computer screen the finish is amazing, like glass. I can't imagine what it looks like in person!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GrayRaceCat View Post
      Thanks Jay, That's what I thought but wasn't sure.

On my computer screen the finish is amazing, like glass. I can't imagine what it looks like in person!

Brian
      Brian,
      Jay is correct it was a nice car from a distance to start with.
      But I’m shooting for a little better finish ;-)
      Thanks
      Pat

Still bagging and tagging the charger so I can get the car to the media blaster. Overall the car is in great shape with all of its original sheet metal and no accidents. The front fenders have never been off the car as I had to remove the great factory undercoating to get to the fasteners for the splash guards. The media blaster I’m sure will uncover a few surprises. But for now here is the Good the Bad and the Ugly to date.
      The Good, all of the frame rails are in excellent condition with only one small area of rust on the right side trans cross member and no accidents front or rear.

The Bad, a little rust on the driver’s side floor that will take an 8” x 12” patch panel

And the Ugly, I knew I would be replacing the trunk floor when I bought the car, but the back yard patch job is Ugly! On the good side both trunk drop and frame rails are rust free.

Thanks
      Pat

Country Flag: Australia
      nice man, going to look sweet
      Mopar or no Car
      Your either with us or Behind us

I received the 1st rendering of the custom wheel I’m having made to look like the hubcaps used on the Bullitt Charger. There are a few small changes that need to be made, such as the center emblem is not orientated correctly. There will be a tool that will fit the emblem which will allow access to the lug-nuts. I’m very happy with the 1st drawings of this one off wheel and look forward to seeing them made.

This is the original hubcap

And here is the custom version of the hubcap

Thanks
      Pat

Wow! I really like that rendering, the only thing that has kept more Bullitt Chargers from being done up is those goofy simulated mag hubcaps they used back then. Those things were always a buzz kill IMO. I'm super impressed with that rendering , it will look awesome.

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      Quote Originally Posted by 72BBSwinger View Post
      Wow! I really like that rendering, the only thing that has kept more Bullitt Chargers from being done up is those goofy simulated mag hubcaps they used back then. Those things were always a buzz kill IMO. I'm super impressed with that rendering , it will look awesome.
      plus these won't fly off everytime you do a high speed pass up..then down the hill.

very nice. Will these get put on his catalog later down the road?
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuick View Post
      plus these won't fly off everytime you do a high speed pass up..then down the hill.

very nice. Will these get put on his catalog later down the road?
      I'm not sure but I hope I get my car on the road before someone else gets a set ;-)

Disassembled both doors so I can send out the vent window and door handles for re-chroming. Here are a few picture of the left doors hardware cleaned and painted along with the right doors hardware as it came out.

I remembered from my last 68 charger that reproduction the tail light gaskets didn’t fit well. This time I was able to remove the original gasket without much damage and used an upholstery steamer to expand the foam. Then I sprayed a few coats of Plasti-Dip to fill in any damage. They should work like new!

Thanks
      Pat

Wheels are gonna be awesome!
      85 monte, drift project- small block t5 and 8.8
      88 Blazer sbc
      05 300c

Very excited to see this one progress....Im of the same opinion, start with the nicest car you can afford to minimize the metal work, I think you probably end up ahead in the long run. That being said, I don't have a choice, I suck at metal work

I have been trying to restore the parts as I remove them instead of at the end of the project. The left side vent box is the last item I did and it cleaned up nicely. Here are a few before and after pictures.
      Thanks!
      Pat

Received a few more wheel drawing with the logo upright and the black around the cut outs removed. Next drawings will have the extra material remove that was black as I think it may look better??

This is the front wheel 17x9 with a 5 ½” back space

And this is the back wheel 17x11 with a 6 ½” back space
      Thanks
      Pat

Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com