Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1965 Comet-The kids semi Pro-Tour project..

I guess you can call my sons 1965 Mercury Comet a Pro-Tour type build on a budget… He is 19 and I have been helping a bit but for the most part he is doing 90% of the grunt work.. And financing it himself too boot.

Name:  IMG_4221.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  531.8 KB

She’s not much to look at now.. Originally a strait 6 with 3 speed column shift.. since the picture he has the front end completely torn down for a rebuild.. leaving the original manual steering.. getting QA1 coil overs and swapping out the drums for disks off an old Monarch.. it already had a 9 inch rear so he is rebuilding it and updating to rear disks as well.. future plan is to 4 link it but staying with leafs for now..

Name:  IMG_4756.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  241.6 KB

He built this 302 for the car.. fairly old school with 10-1 pistons.. decent flat tapper cam.. good AFR heads with roller rockers… putting a T-5 behind it..

The short history of the car.. I bought it close to 30 years ago from a friend that got it through a impound lot auction.. it had a 318 dodge engine plus auto trans and he bought it for the drivetrain and was going to junk the rest of it.. I got it for scrap metal pricing.. After a micro burst event in the area had the roof of a building deposited on it I lost interest and started parting it out.. I sold the fenders, tail lights and a couple trim pieces.. now that my son wants to build it I bought replacements, thus the odd fenders that are on it now.. it’s an absolutely solid body otherwise.. zero rust other than some surfaces.. there are some odd holes cut into the fender aprons and towers that we need to repair and the trans tunnel has been cut out to fit the old dodge trans that was in it. damage wise that the storm did was actually minimal and we have already straightened most of it out..

Anyways.. as things go along will try and update here and there..

Brian

1965 Comet-The kids semi Pro-Tour project..

Yes there has been minor progress..

The pile of removed garbage..

Getting ready to weld some patches.

Shelby drop drilled. Lower shock tower braces welded.

Covid has hit the family and the kid has been taking some college courses so it’s slowed way down.

Brian

Looks like a great project!

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

That's really cool. Love to see younger guys doing this. My 13 y/o wants a project car, albeit newer, in a couple of years, as well. Oh yeah, the 172 (?) in the background definitely takes the cake for teh most interesting backdrop.
      67 GTO - Build underway
      66 Bronco U13 Roadster
      And a couple of 80's Porsches

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
      That's really cool. Love to see younger guys doing this. My 13 y/o wants a project car, albeit newer, in a couple of years, as well. Oh yeah, the 172 (?) in the background definitely takes the cake for teh most interesting backdrop.
      I’m an A&P IA.. work on all the projects in my shop. You will see lots of different airplane “back drops” in my pictures, lol

Brian

Cool project, awesome that you are doing it together. Interesting it had a 318 engine.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com