Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      What's the advantage of the Corbeau belt? The Schroth Rallye-3 is a similar configuration and is DOT legal.

https://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/rallye/rallye-3
      That one has no inertia retractor...can't lean forward in the seat once fastened. It would feel like I was strapped in one of my race cars...aggravating for street use.

Country Flag: Canada
      Wouldn't not leaning forward lead to submarining? I thought that is what is 'good' about stock 3 point?

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Be careful saying a belt is DOT approved- there are 4 FMVSS standards associated with belts and occupoant protection, some stating such important things as the dye must remain colorfast in UV light, or not smear onto clothing- that have little to do with passenger saftey
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

No doubt Schoth spent the money (and it was probably considerable) to obtain the DOT stamp of approval. My guess is other manufacturers looked into it and weighed the cost vs liability issues and decided it did not fit into their niche market model.

I saw a frame that bolted to the car, came up to approx shoulder height, and owner also made reinforcingbbar that connected on the B pillar.
      It was removable and owner made a padded cover for the mounts so as to protect anyone who might hit it . Made it look like part of car.
      I'll look for pictures.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Antioch, CA...gateway to the California Delta
      I just saw this post today. I made a removable harness bar for my 67 Impala SS. The hoop is dom 1.25 in, 0.120 wall. the hoop stands are dom 1.75 in, 0.120 wall with an 8 in overlap. Struts are cormo 4130 1.55 in, 0.120 wall tube.Name:  photo (5).JPG
Views: 629
Size:  123.6 KBName:  photo (4).JPG
Views: 630
Size:  73.7 KB

Ugh! I saw this post and thought I would get an idea for the direction I want to take, now after reading I think I have less of an idea.
      In my 73 Vega Wagon, I want it to appear stock, when I'm daily driving it and hitting the local cruise nights.
      I have frame rails tucked up underneath so there are no clues that its modified (with the hood closed).
      I want a removable bar like the impala above with a 5 point for autocross and a couple road coarse outings.
      The removable bar will be tied to my frame rails
      When I remove the bar I would like to use my factory 3 point.
      The factory three point is actually a lap belt with an add on shoulder belt.
      .....perhaps I could use the lap belt from the 5 point and the stock shoulder belt for around town driving.
      Just typing that makes me nervous.
      Ugh!
      Dan
      1971 Chevelle Maliboo Convertible 496/4L80E
      1956 210 2 door Sedan 8-71 blown 468/T400

I've posted this article a couple of times, but I'll do it again because I feel this subject can't get too much attention . This represents the compromise I was willing to live with for a street/track car.
      http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/add...llbar-install/

I consulted with Joe Marko at HMS Motorsports for the article. Joe is the North American rep for Schroth. I met Joe when I was designing restraint systems for military vehicles.

Do your own research for your specific application and talk to subject matter experts, most of what you read in forums or a magazine is bull**** -- don't gamble with your life.
      Last edited by JohnUlaszek; 02-25-2017 at 12:11 PM.

now thats a cool setup now i want one
      yes it does have positraction

The agrument is always"you shouldn't use a shoulder harness without a roll bar". I have a 8-point cage in my 69 Firebird project with Simpson 5-point belts. I wanted to start to use a HANS device for track days with my '16 GT350 (until the Firebird is done)...so I consulted Ron Sutton. We went with a Schroth 4-point ASM belt that attaches to factory belt locations. I don't have a roll bar in the 350. The odds are way better to have a frontal impact at a HPDE than a roll over. With the HANS, factory air bags, and 4-point (along with Ron's advice) I feel safer. To each his/her own though.
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      1967 Frirebird 400 convertible
      2013 Boss 302

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com