Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
      Country Flag: France
      Hi all,

As I always try to be on a "familly budget friendly" build, I saw on Pozzi's site that we can swap a 3rd gen IROC-Z steering box for the 1st gen. So I search & found this :

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...1st-Gen-Camaro

Thanks Pete for this awesome write up !

I found the parts from a 88 Camaro IROC-Z & I'm in the sourcing of all the other parts needed to do the swap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a second phase I spoke a lot with Lucky13 & Tobin@Kore3 as I have a poor vacuum for my brake booster, so I search a budget friendly way to have good brakes without paying a vacuum pump or a hydroboost system.

We found we can use a Corvette 1" bore MC to swap for manual brakes on 1st gens with another pushrod I'll build & with 3/16" lines and fittings I'll add my Wilwood prop. valve.

68-76 Corvette with manual brakes
      CARDONE 101371
      RAYBESTOS MC36367
      DORMAN M36367
      AC DELCO 18M27 (18030269)

So I'll also source the parts I need & do my brakes upgrade soon.

Thanks
      Gil

Country Flag: United States
      Thanks for the MC tip, Gil!

I thought about throwing a booster on my 68, just to see if it would help. I only have around 11-whatever unit of measure vacuum is lol, and many people say that's not enough. Others say they only have 11 and their brakes work just fine, so I'm on the fence. I definitely need a new MC for the swap though...

And, I can't wait to get my 3rd gen steering box installed!
      Josh

1968 Firebird project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...41#post1180941

No problem,
      From Tobin, for a 4 discs brakes setup, 14 inches Hg is good, less than 12" Hg is not good...
      I bought a vacuometer to see if the vacuum is good enough, but I think I don't have 11" Hg
      I made a little Venturi mod. to have more vacuum, but even with it I think I'm far away from 14" Hg
      Gil

Hello all,

Before starting the body bushings replacement the driver side frame alignment hole wasn't centered,
      Then I replaced the bushing & the alignment hole still not centered,

But I measured diagonally from a hole @ the front of the leaf springs to a hole @ the frame near the rad. core support
      then another measure from the same holes @ the front of the leaf springs to the frame alignment holes
      and frame is squared...

is it an issue that the driver side frame alignment hole is not centered on one side but the frame is squared ?

Thanks
      Gil

These cars are far from perfect... thats why every door and quarter panel and fender is unique... thats all i have to say... ;-)

I see what you mean !
      I'll double check again from a hole @ the front of the leaf springs to the lower ball-joints with a plumb bob to be sure it's squared...
      I'm not confident because previous owner had a little accident in the driver side front, then the front hood gap is bigger than the other side. It is 1/3" away from the front-end seal...
      Maybe only the front end moved...
      Gil

Hi Gil !

Sorry for your frame issue !

Let me know if you need help for your brake and steering box swap.

I'm on the same boat for my Chevelle and Tobin @ Kore3 was very helpfull for me !

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil View Post
      No problem,
      From Tobin, for a 4 discs brakes setup, 14 inches Hg is good, less than 12" Hg is not good...
      I bought a vacuometer to see if the vacuum is good enough, but I think I don't have 11" Hg
      I made a little Venturi mod. to have more vacuum, but even with it I think I'm far away from 14" Hg
      Gil
      You're running a 455 correct? What are your camshaft specs and compression ratio? How much initial static timing are you running?
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Quote Originally Posted by bello View Post
      Hi Gil !

Sorry for your frame issue !

Let me know if you need help for your brake and steering box swap.

I'm on the same boat for my Chevelle and Tobin @ Kore3 was very helpfull for me !

David.
      Thanks David,
      No worries, frame should be Ok !
      Maybe I'll call you in the next weeks to help with bleeding my brakes arround a few beers if I can't find a way to do it alone, I have to motivate myself to restart working in the garage now !

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      You're running a 455 correct? What are your camshaft specs and compression ratio? How much initial static timing are you running?
      Well... Yes, 455 a bit modified.
      Unfortunately I think my knowledges are way too low to answer you as I owned the car 10 years ago with motor in already & without any specs from the previous owner.
      Eard he bought it new in the US & put it in without changing or modifying anything else
      What I can only say about perf. is 13 seconds for a 1/4 mile

Gil

Well...

Lets do it !
      Gil

Piece of cake, have fun!!
      Josh

1968 Firebird project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...41#post1180941

Bon progrès! Safe is a good thing. I did a conversion from factory G body to the dual piston 2002 Camaro brakes up front and the stopping power was an incredible difference. I'm sure you will feel that and more with that Wilwood package. Good luck!
      -Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

[QUOTE=Gil;1184514]Thanks David,
      No worries, frame should be Ok !
      Maybe I'll call you in the next weeks to help with bleeding my brakes arround a few beers if I can't find a way to do it alone, I have to motivate myself to restart working in the garage now !

No problem Gil,

Don't hesitate to call
      I also need some motivation to work on my project !!

Thanks guys !

Tried to double flare with a cheap tool but wasn't happy at all...

So I searched a lot & found this little awesome tool super easy making perfect double flares for 3/16 brake lines.

Have a nice day
      Gil

So, measured with a vacuometer my motor vacuum at idle, (arround 850/900rpm). I have a little 0.27 bar... So arround 8" Hg WITH the Venturi mod. I did...
      Without I have less than 7 Hg... Idle should be arround 1700rpm to reach 14 inches Hg & have good brakes... So no way.

here is what I start with :

And I drained brake fluid as clean I as could

Very slow build, as you all know familly comes firt
      Gil

Was a pita to unbolt the booster but finally mock up the new MC at this time, direct bolt in swap.

Gil

Looks a lot like mine! A little firm but I have no complaints about my brakes... plus with 4 pistons instead of 2 per side it should help a little with pedal effort

Yep, I think it's the same. Firm or not I think they'll be a lot better than what I had...

The works are continuing...
      Prop. valve mock up and Driver side caliper with Hawk HP+ pads

Gil

Mock-up continues...
      Wheel clearance lock to lock is OK, no interference...

Caliper bolts & banjo torqued at specs.

Gil

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com