Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: TwinTorino

TwinTorino

Finally getting around to getting some real progress done on this project - so I figured it was time to start a thread. I have spent a lot of time on the forums getting info for my projects - thanks to everyone!

This project is slightly different than most.. in that myself and a friend are both building similar cars at the same time, hence the "twin" Torino name. It took a couple of years to find two cars, round up all the moderns parts for both the cars, build a chassis fixture, etc. To date, one car has 95% of the parts needed, and the other is 85% there. For additional info on the cars and our builds - you can visit our site at www.twintorino.com

The goal is to have something that could be driven daily and hit open track road course days on the weekends. We also did not want to have the fuel mileage of a big block Ford . The target is to have the cars completed for the 2009 Power Tour.

The cars started life as 1968 Torino GT Fastbacks. Both were 289 cars with FMX auto transmissions backed by a Ford 8". They are not rare vehicles to start with, nor did they have desirable color combos or options, so they are perfect candidates. Both cars were bought on Ebay and are southern cars.. as we gave up early on the rusty northern cars.

We are building these cars on a pretty tight budget and are doing everything ourselves.. so it just tends to take a lot of time rather than money. We have been busy buying and sellings cars and parts to pay for most of the project to date. Keeping in the cost effective theme - most of the parts are used and came from Ebay, Craigslist, Kijiji and forums like this one.

The engines are 4.6L DOHC ones from a 2004 Mach 1 and the transmissions are T56 6-speed from a 2004 Cobra. We went with a Mach 1 as the engine is all aluminum, and are a lot cheaper than the Cobra supercharged motors. The supercharged motors use iron blocks. The rear ends are 2004 Cobra 8.8 (31 spline inner/outer) as part of the IRS assembly. Cooling comes from 2004 Cobra aluminum radiators (36mm core) and Mustang 2-speed cooling fans. Exhaust will use Bassani stainless steel headers, and a complete 2004 Cobra Bassani stainless steel system to start (modified to fit of course).

The front suspension is a modified 2004 Cobra McPherson strut setup. The rear suspension is a modified 2004 Cobra IRS. The steering rack comes from a 2004 Cobra. Front sway bar is a 35 mm Roush bar, and the rear is 26mm stock unit from the IRS. Koni DA's will be used at all 4 corners.

Front brakes are 2004 Cobra PBR front calipers with 13" Brembo rotors, and will have Carbotech AX6 street/track pads. Rear brakes are 11.65" disk from a 2004 Cobra. Brakes will be powered by a Cobra hydroboost unit. 2004 Mustang pedals are used under the dash.

Wheels for one car will be Ford FR500 18x9 front, and 18x10.5 rear. The other car will run Axis Hiro 18x9 front, and 19x10 rear. Tires are Michelin Pilot PS2 275's in the front, and 315 in the rear. Track tires are yet undecided, although they will be 18x9 and be 275's all round and road course slicks.

Seating will be modified 1969 Torino buckets for daily driving, and Sparco Torino's for track days (although they will likely stay in all the time). Interior will appear mostly stock looking. The gauges will be custom (using a Mustang gauge clsuter to start) with silkscreened faces to mimic the original ones. A/C and heating system will be based on a modified 2004 Mustang system.

Wiring will be modified 2004 Mach 1 harnesses. It is much cheaper that way in comparison to aftermarket setups. Also more complicated this way though .

Cars will retain the Cobra ABS brakes, traction control, PATS theft system (with key in the dash), keyless entry, and basically any other major electrical function a 2004 Cobra would have. We are getting rid of things like air bags, power mirrors and lots of other things that are not needed.

That is all for now.. here are some pictures:

Day 1 for both cars:

Powertrain:

Suspension/Brakes/Steering

Front donor suspension structure:

Seats:

Wiring (ouch):

Wheels/Tires:

Craig
      1968 Torino GT 4.6L S/C T56 IRS x2
      www.twintorino.com

looks like a good project(s).cool that you are both doing similar rides , whats the drivetrain for the other one?

Country Flag: United States
      Nice project.. love the Torino!

Looks like you have a LOT of work ahead of you...
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Those are the cars and parts.. now some progress pics:

Floors be gone:

Soon to be subframe connectors:

Chassis fixture for setting up suspension and powertrain:

IRS cradle fixture:

Vehicle in rough position:

Body fixture with screw jacks for height adjustment:

IRS moving into place..

Finally starting to get some useful work done on the cars after all the detours of project funding, fixture building a parts sourcing. It has been a long road that has brought us through many provinces and states.

The latest victim for parts (this side makes the car look like it is in good condition).
      Craig
      www.twintorino.com

Quote Originally Posted by conciseautosports
      looks like a good project(s).cool that you are both doing similar rides , whats the drivetrain for the other one?
      Both cars are sporting the same setup. 4.6L DOHC Mach 1 Engine / T56 and IRS. The only thing we are missing at this point is another Mach engine. We have 2 of everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2
      Nice project.. love the Torino!

Looks like you have a LOT of work ahead of you...
      Can't go wrong with the Torino/Fairlane as you know . Great job on your project and putting these cars on the map! I remembering seeing your project for the first time in the magazines.. made me proud to be a Torino owner. Most people don't seem to even know what the car is - I am sure you can relate.

There are a couple of late nights ahead - that is for sure..
      Craig
      www.twintorino.com

Country Flag: Canada
      motorcity canada? oshawa?

just out of curiosity, how much does a wrecked car like that go for?
      dave.t
      86 Olds 442 - Project If It Ain't Broke, Take It Apart and Fix It
      74 Javelin AMX - stocker

Very cool projects. Glad to see something other than the Corvette suspension. I also like that they are all Ford!
      70 Cougar
      Aces Kill shot efi
      Turbocharged 5.0 430hp 488tq
      Tremec 3550
      13" Cobra brakes
      Unisteer Manual rack

Quote Originally Posted by jackfrost
      just out of curiosity, how much does a wrecked car like that go for?
      12-14k(!) will usually fetch you a 2003/2004 Cobra complete and wrecked. I bought the car less engine, trans, IRS, front seats and a bunch of other odds and ends. At this point.. the person just wanted to get rid of it. I walked away with a great deal and lots of parts towards the projects, and enough extra parts to sell to fund the purchase of a second engine.
      Craig
      www.twintorino.com

Hey glad to see you guys on here your cars fit right in to the Pro-Touring lifestyle. One queston What is that Steering Rack out of.
      71 Torino HT
      351w
      Aod Trans
      Project Updates https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=37854

Wow! I first visited your site a while back (was it two years ago?) and never heard much about it for a long time. I'm glad to see progress being made. I sure love the idea and your choice in cars. Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by MZ 500
      Hey glad to see you guys on here your cars fit right in to the Pro-Touring lifestyle. One queston What is that Steering Rack out of.
      Nice to see another fellow TorinoCobra.com person over here too . There are not many of us into the Pro-Touring scene that is for sure.

The steering racks we are using are out of a 2004 SVT Cobra. The Cobras from 2003 and 2004 have a special quick ratio rack that is different from every other Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBuddha
      Wow! I first visited your site a while back (was it two years ago?) and never heard much about it for a long time. I'm glad to see progress being made. I sure love the idea and your choice in cars. Keep us posted!
      Yeah.. we started the site 2 years ago right after we bought the cars. It sure took a while to find all the parts and pieces used to keep things on a budget. Also took a while to get a place set up to work on them, and get all the tools in place to do the builds. We are finally at the point where we can actually do something productive.
      Craig
      www.twintorino.com

That's going to be one cool Torino!
      John Brown
      1971 Nova - Project Car
      1990 Silverado - Ridetech StreetGRIP
      Instagram @wilwaxu
      Facebook @wilwaxu

Finally some action in the Torino world. Found another engine for car #2 that happened to come with lots of other parts. The winter is now approaching which means it will be much easier to get things done. If anyone is looking for a Mach 1 rear axle for their project.. let me know .

Also started working on rendering in 3D Studio of the cars. Here is a glimpse of what is to come..

Craig
      www.twintorino.com

Looking great. I love the Torino as well.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

Cool build. Pretty hard core and looks like you guys are out to do it right the first time
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Looks pretty good. Good luck.
      '98 Chevy S-10
      '76 Corvette

I'll be watching this one closely, keep us updated!

Got tired of trying to mock up the underhood area with a complete heavy engine, so I decided to make something a little more lightweight. A heavy engine was even more annoying to work with the car on a jig that is 18" off the ground. Since I am on a tight budget, I opted to use an old shipping crate and about $10 worth of fasteners from Home Depot. After careful measurements of the block and tracing out various components, a CAD model was created. This was then used to make up 1:1 scale prints, which were in turn pinned to 3/4 plywood and cut out. This allows the headers, cam covers, trans, front cover, upper intake manifold, manifolds, A/C compressor and power steering pump to be installed in the car.

Craig
      www.twintorino.com

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com