Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

71 Chevelle - splined sway bar or not?

I've been debating this with myself for a while now, and I am undecided between a traditional hollow front ARB or a splined bar.

I've looked at both the DSE and Ride Tech bars, and I don't like the Ride Tech proprietary design, so it's out for me. The DSE I like a lot, but its $800!

For traditional bars, I'm leaning mostly towards the Hotchkis 1 3/8" hollow, which specs out to 567 in-lbs. DSE claims 816 in-lbs for theirs, while their splined bar is rated at 1031 in-lbs. I honestly think that's suspect as I don't believe the DSE bar is 44% stiffer than the Hotchkis bar.

It's mostly street driven, but I do road course the car, though no auto-x at this time. I also drag race it.

The car currently weighs ~3900 lbs with me in it, though I'd like to get that down to under 3600. I run 15" wheels and plan to run some vintage trans-am road race tires at the track.

So is a DSE splined bar worth it? Thanks

The DSE piece is quite nice ....one thing I noticed was that the pillow block mounts seem to be quite large and kinda stand out
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      The DSE piece is quite nice ....one thing I noticed was that the pillow block mounts seem to be quite large and kinda stand out
      Are you running the DSE on an A-body? Do you think you could swap the 1.5" bar to a different diameter bar from Speedway motors?

No I'm not ...I did have a addco 1.25 or 1.375 " ....I just know from the pictures I've seen of them installed
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Country Flag: United States
      In general I stay away from splined bars if a tubular bar is available. The splined arms can come loose, & they are heavy, the only benefit is if a custom arm end is needed, then you only have to make them once, UNLESS you change bar diameter. If a tubular arm is available and you can get the maker to do thicker wall versions if needed, then that's the way I go. Lighter, and less work for me, less to go wrong.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Good information Dave. I might just go with the Hotchkis bar and see how it does. I just worry that a 567# bar won't be enough, especially when you factor in torsion losses from the bushings and whatnot.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com