Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

67 Camaro build (C5 suspension and transaxle

So its about a decade later and I am finally underway on my 1st gen build. A quick background. I bought this car back in 2003 when I was in college. I had just sold a 69 Pontiac LeMans and had "big" plans to build a pro-touring car when I was finished school. Its funny how much plans change. I found an old thread I started back in 2007, https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ect?highlight=.

Like I said a decade later and I'm finally underway with the project. I quess you could call this more than a change of plans, https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...on)?highlight=.

So here are some pics to show progress and current status:

Spent quite a few hours with wire brush attachments on an angle grinder removing years of gunk! After the wire brush treatment, moved onto several rounds of chemical stripping. This car had three paint jobs from what I could tell, original maroon (based on vin), blue and the "fugly" black mess when I bought it.

Some of the cancer spots

Front and rear windshield channels need to be replaced

Deck filler and package tray are toast

Nice previous repair work on the driver side quarter / door jam

My personal favorite. Both rear wheel openings (quarter panel and outer wheel house) were cut then patched with fiberglass and bondo to make room for an A-body 12 bolt housing with 10.5" slicks which stuck out past the openings about an inch on either side. I guess this was easier than narrowing the rear and or getting wheels with the correct backspacing.

A new home for the car and some long overdue soda blasting

I previously had the car at my parents house as I was living in a condo for past 6 years. Its about time I got a garage of my own. The car mas moved to a new home and back to work.

Fits nicely

Some in process soda blasting pics

Nice clean and straight rockers on this car. Finally something good!!!

So its time to start some sheet metal work. The floor and firewall are surprisingly solid as are the rockers. Here is a list of the work that needs to be done:

Partial trunk floor
      DSE mini tubs
      outer wheel housings
      quarter panels (lh and rh)
      trunk latch support brackets
      deck filler panel
      package tray
      front and rear windshield channels
      trunk weatherstrip channels
      various small spot repairs
      Hopefully this list doesn't get too out of control

My plan of attack is to start on the rear of the car while it is still on the rotisserie. First order of business trunk floor. I'm doing a partial because the close outs and rear frame rails are in good shape and seem to be solid. I figured this would be less work and certainly save some bucks on replacement parts.

I want to get the trunk floor in place then go to work on the mini tubs. I am thinking it would be best to leave the outer wheel houses in place to locate the mini tubs. Once I get the mini tubs in place I will take the car off the rotisserie and block it up on jacks stands (placing the jack stands where the body mounts to the factory subframe and leaf springs).

While the car is on stands I will start work on the quarter panels. I am going to set the doors to the rockers and door jam area on the existing quarters (which I am hoping are original based on the lead at the interface with the roof skin). I figure this will give me a good foundation for installing the quarters. While the quarters are off I will place the outer wheel housing then finally finish weld everything.

Once I rough cut the trunk floor out I realized it gave me access to many of the hard to reach spots involved in installing the mini tubs.

So I decided the car seems to be stabilized pretty well on the rotisserie and since I can stand in the hole in the trunk at this point I might as well at least rough cut the inner wheel housings out at this point. (Sorry for the poor picture quality all I had on me was my phone today).

While working on cutting out the inner wheel housings I noticed that flanges where the inner and outer wheel houses meet (at the top of the tubs) pretty difficult to get to in certain spots. Also, I am really having trouble finding the spot welds along this flange. On the driver side it seems like there is a ridiculous amount of very small spot welds along the flange spaced very close together. On the passenger side I am having trouble finding them at all. This car had been worked on and painted several times over the years so who knows what could have been done hear.

Does anyone have any tips for separating the inner and outer wheel housings along this flange? It almost seems like some people are trimming the inner as close to the flange as they can get it and installing the new inner tubs butted up against it. Is this true?

Not really sure what I am going to do here just yet. I am contemplating on installing both inner and outer housings while the car is on the rotisserie with the existing quarter panels in place. Though the quarters are pretty jacked up along the wheel opening edge so this mat not be the best course of action.

I am certainly open to suggestion if anyone has any good input or advice.

Country Flag: Pakistan
      its not so difficult......

67 Camaro build

Hi there , nice project, I'm currently doing the same for my 67 camaro , what i did is that i cut most of the inner tube leaving only the top and bottom flange to make space , then on the flange i could not find the spot welds neither, what i end un doing is i drill holes an inch apart all the way then start peeling off the metal if it was stuck there was a spot weld so i drill in there , there is a lot of tiny ones but not all hold on when you pull the inner flange ,

67 Camaro build

What im currently stuck inn right now is that after you remove the inner tub and you are ready to cut the floor and trunk pan on the floor pan side you cut the floor or you bend it in a 90 degree angle to weld the spot weld into that and if the tub is welded around the inside all around ?? Seems like the video and instructions are very vague on that,thanks

To me it seems like the instructions tell you to pot weld it to the flange then seam seal it. That's how my oem inners were installed.

Good point on just drilling holes about an inch apart along the flange and start removing the material. I will most likely wind up going this route myself.

67 Camaro build

I have recently read threads and found that you can also leave the flange. From the inner tub in there just trim flat with the outer one and weld the other one to a nice clean surface. Let me see if i found a link that some guy sendme

67 Camaro build

vb:showthread/t=46900

Can't help with the inner tubs. But, when you get to welding up the window channels make sure you have your trim handy. Line your trim up before welding to make sure you have the right gaps and it's not crooked. That was one of my mistakes.

Look for this thread since i cant copy paste the link
      Is named

The novice's guide to mini-tubbing a 68-69 camaro

Hope it helps And you think you can post a
      Picture when you test fit your driver side mini tub ? Thanks

Country Flag: United States
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...a-68-69-Camaro

I happen to have it book marked. Here you go...

First off thanks for providing the link to thea other thread. Tons of good info there! I made some progress later in the week. I removed all the flange material from the original outers. I'm taking a break from the car this weekend. I'll be back on it next week. I'll post some progress pics later in the week.

Update status on mini tub install

I have made some progress since my last post. I went ahead and removed the flanges from the inner wheel housings. Man there was a ton of small spot welds all along there. That was not fun. At this point I have trimmed and removed all of the floor pan material. I notched the passenger side frame rail and did an initial test fit of the passenger side tub. Here are some pics.

Inner wheel housing flanges removed

Passenger side frame rail notched

Here is a shot of the rocker panel area. I felt the DSE instructions and video dont really do a good job of describing what needs to be done here to make the tubs fit. I decided to fold some flanges that will mate to the forward face of the and see it fit before I just started cutting away material to make the tubs fit. So far so good. Definitely still needs to be cleaned up a bit though

The first test fit. Not to bad.

Fitting the passenger side tub

After the first test fit of the passenger side tub there are several things that need to be addressed. A few minor interference locations, nothing a little bit of clearance cutting wont take care of. The biggest obstacle at this point is going to be fabricating the close out panels for the shock mount area. The previous owner had install a roll cage and chose a very unfavorable mounting location for the frame rail braces.

I never intended on keeping this cage in the car so I will start by removing the frame rail braces. It looks like I will have some additional fab work to do in fixing some of this ugliness. While I am in there I am going to do some rust treatment and prevention before I close it up. It looks like there is really only minor surface rust so it shouldn't be too bad to deal with. I have some Eastwood products that I plan to use on the under side of the car in a few spots (rust converter and rust encapsulator).

Well after almost 6 months and about a dozen house projects later I finally got back to working on the car (than god). Made some progress on the passenger side wheel tub close out panels.

Cut out a section of the rollcage support member and cleaned up the existing sheet metal a bit

So a while back I bought a bunch of body panels from a guy locally on craigslist. Most were actually new repro pieces he had sitting around (score). While I was staring at the hole I just created and thinking of ways to close it up I decided to make use of some of the patch panels that I acquired.

I am going to take a different approach than the DSE recommend close panels. I am going to cannibalize the shock tower reinforcement and the trunk floor patch panel.

Using the shock tower reinforcement piece to add some support to the close out panels. Unfortunately I had to use flux core wire for this piece because my Lincoln Electric mig just didnt have enough juice to handle the .125" metal.

Tim to grind down some spot welds

Here's a few shots of the shock tower area closed up.

Still need to button up a few spots and finish grinding and add some seem sealer.

Country Flag: United States
      Nice project. Where in nj are you?
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com