Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by silver69camaro View Post
      That's a good idea. I'll check that out. I initially didn't want to offer the 5th Gen rear brakes because of the front mismatch, but a front adapter would solve that issue.
      Matt,

Can you also clarify the parking break components? I see in the pictures of David's rear for his first gen there is a drum brake arrangement. Does the OEM Gen 5 Camaro e-brake system work with the Corvette hubs?

Andrew

1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Matt,

Can you also clarify the parking break components? I see in the pictures of David's rear for his first gen there is a drum brake arrangement. Does the OEM Gen 5 Camaro e-brake system work with the Corvette hubs?

Andrew
      All the parking brake components are Gen 5 Camaro parts, off the shelf stuff. The C6/ZR1 hub is dimensionally identical to the Gen 5 Camaro, minus the register diameter. The e-brake is activated by a small lever pulled by a cable, much like the common Explorer type e-brake. We have a simple adapter that will allow Lokar cables to be used.

When an IRS is ordered from AME, it will be fully assembled when it leaves our shop - which includes the parking brake components.
      Last edited by silver69camaro; 03-29-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Grammar
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

David,

The rear setup looks great! Can't wait to see a build thread.

All the parking brake components are Gen 5 Camaro parts, off the shelf stuff. The C6/ZR1 hub is dimensionally identical to the Gen 5 Camaro, minus the register diameter. The e-brake is activated by a small lever pulled by a cable, much like the common Explorer type e-brake. We have a simple adapter that will allow Lokar cables to be used.

When an IRS is ordered from AME, it will be fully assembled when it leaves our shop - which includes the parking brake components.
      Thanks for the clarification!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Dave / Matt,

Perhaps I missed it earlier in the thread, but can either of you comment of exhaust routing? Did you go under, did either of you take pipes all the way to the rear of the car?
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

Matt has full tail pipes. Ours kick down at the rear of the cradle.
      Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  200.3 KB
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Did two autocrosses this weekend. The IRS is working great! The car is faster than ever. The amount of rear steer was initially set too high but things are working well with it at a lower setting. Now it's set the same as what Morrison has been running all along.

Same video higher quality: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S-nhjVa5V4M

Suspension video

Higher quality version: http://youtu.be/L6ozRyAr6Vs
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 03-31-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
      Dave / Matt,

Perhaps I missed it earlier in the thread, but can either of you comment of exhaust routing? Did you go under, did either of you take pipes all the way to the rear of the car?
      You can go under like how David did (and then go up and out the rear, or terminate it at the diff), and we snaked it under the CV then routed beside the fuel tank.

Name:  art-morrison-enterprises-multi-link-irs.jpg
Views: 3896
Size:  274.5 KB
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks67GTO View Post
      I just went through this thread for the first time and maybe I missed it but I have to assume this is much heavier than a traditional leaf spring/ solid axle rear....right? How much more does it weigh than the standard rear chassis that would be removed? Now for road racing/auto x, would that be a negative because the overall weight was increased? Or maybe positive because the cars weight bias be more evenly balanced?
      We gained 70 lbs.
      Rear weight percent increased by 1% front weight decreased 1%
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 03-31-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Thanx Matt... Those look to be 2.5" pipes, is that correct? Is there room for 3" through there?
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

The vids look good. For comparison sake, did maier show up at this auto-x? If so, what were his times?

Quote Originally Posted by DJW32 View Post
      The vids look good. For comparison sake, did maier show up at this auto-x? If so, what were his times?
      What would that information tell you? A Mustang is smaller, lighter, different driver, possibly different tires, etc...Way too many other variables to account for.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
      Thanx Matt... Those look to be 2.5" pipes, is that correct? Is there room for 3" through there?
      2.5". 3" could be done, but I'd route it under the diff like how David did. If a person were to order the cradle with the OEM 5th Gen diff, it allows much more room for larger exhaust. The Strange diff is large in comparison.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Matt,

What are the implications with regard to the axles when using different diffs (stock 5 Gen vs. ZL1, vs. Strange)?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Thanks for asking great questions guys! Either Matt or myself will try to answer as quickly as possible. One thing that I haven't seen yet is any question regarding track width. We are offering four different track widths. 55.5", 57.5", 59.5" and 61.5". With the four different widths, we will definitely be able to set this IRS up for a lot of different applications. For out GT-Sport line of bolt-in chassis (C1, A-Body, 55-57, 49-54, 1st Gen rear sub) this will be an available option. We will also be able to do this on all of our custom chassis as well as sell the cradle with lose brackets. So far this has been the most popular with a lot of customers retrofitting this suspension into their existing chassis or reinforced OE subframes. While David did the install on Mary's car using the existing OE subframe, Matt has designed a great replacement rear sub for these cars. Any other questions, please let us know.

Matt,

What are the implications with regard to the axles when using different diffs (stock 5 Gen vs. ZL1, vs. Strange)?

Andrew
      The Strange diff is a drop-in replacement for a 5th Gen differential, so the axles are the same.

I haven't worked much with the ZL1 differential because the Strange unit is extremely durable, wider range of gear and diff choices, and much lighter. I do not see any advantage to using a ZL1 diff. The ZL1 does offer a diff cooler, but that can be easily added with our system as well.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

The Strange diff is a drop-in replacement for a 5th Gen differential, so the axles are the same.

I haven't worked much with the ZL1 differential because the Strange unit is extremely durable, wider range of gear and diff choices, and much lighter. I do not see any advantage to using a ZL1 diff. The ZL1 does offer a diff cooler, but that can be easily added with our system as well.

And we did this on David's diff cover - added ports for the external pump and cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by DJW32 View Post
      We tested at a different event closer to home & got in a lot more runs. Maier & Hobaugh were at Goodguys in Pleasanton.

I had some extra bungs put on the diff cover. Will monitor temps to see if a cooler is needed.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 04-01-2014 at 08:30 AM.

The only reason I am talking about the ZL1 rear diff is because the Strange can only go down to a 3.50 gear, while the ZL1 is offered in a 3.23.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

What would that information tell you? A Mustang is smaller, lighter, different driver, possibly different tires, etc...Way too many other variables to account for.

Andrew
      Simple. Mary and mike are very fast. If Mary, or David, would have beaten Mike by a good margin, I would say that the new rear is worth it's weight in gold.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com