Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Raybestos 1971 Camaro "RS" by Schwartz Performance

I'm sure all of you remember the 1964 GTO that Hotrod Chassis & Cycle built a few years ago for Raybestos as a giveaway car...

Well this year we have the honor of Schwartz-ifying a 1971 Camaro to be raffled off this year!

Introducing, the Raybestos/Schwartz 1971 Camaro "RS"

As far as the specs, there are still some details being worked out as of today.. But we're working hard on the car to get it ready for summer events!

FOR MORE INFORMATION GO TO: http://www.schwartzperformance.com/1...-rs-raybestos/

What we started with was an Arizona car, dented up more than we had hoped... The floors were fine, but every other panel needs replacement because it was hit on the passenger side pretty hard. Can you tell? ;)

Disassembly:

Last edited by Schwartz Performance; 01-20-2014 at 09:01 PM.
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Ouch! What a surprise.

Country Flag: Mexico
      I found the same thing on my XJ Jeep.

I was out on a trail and a chunk of bondo just fell off the rear quarter. not a fun discovery

Just a bare body shell ready for blasting:

Anybody need a good 2nd gen subframe?

Filling unused firewall holes & smoothing the firewall:

SchwartzPerformance

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

After the media blast, we discovered that the right side of the car had been smashed--- worse than we hoped. :(

We knew the quarters needed replacement before blasting, which is why they weren't blasted 100%. However.. we didn't expect the roof to need a lot of work. We decided to replace the outer skin (The pictures don't show just how bad the roof was!) :

Aaaaand the trunk floor:
      SchwartzPerformance

"I live my life a quarter panel at a time" -1971 Camaro

Ready for minitubs!

We mounted the chassis to the car to help prevent the car from twisting during the minitub process. (Pics of chassis later!!!)

The original rear frame rails needed to be cut into a little toward the rear of the car to allow plenty of clearance for the soon-to-come Forgeline Wheels and 335/30/18 BFG Rival tires.

We cut the DSE Deep Tubs and added roughly an inch to their original width, as they didn't quite fit with 335/30/18's.

SchwartzPerformance

Looks awesome so far, keep those updates coming.

I thought Camaroes came from the factory with a can of bondo in the trunk under the spare tire?? Sorry I had too...

Country Flag: Netherlands
      wow, lots of bodywork needed..... can't wait to see the frame :-) but why is it called RS since it isn't one?
      1st 2nd
      Pro-Touring outside the USA !
      Martin's Camaro Page

"I live my life a quarter panel at a time" -1971 Camaro

That's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin71RS View Post
      wow, lots of bodywork needed..... can't wait to see the frame :-) but why is it called RS since it isn't one?
      I think it is for Raybestos and Schwartz.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin71RS View Post
      It's mainly because of the split bumper look, and yes Raybestos Schwartz was influential ;)

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance

Jeff, that's sinful what the old body shops used to do! I wish I could have found you a nice rust free AZ car. They are here, you just have to be lucky sometimes. I found my 70 SS behind a house about 5-6 years ago and am just starting on it.
      -Paul
      1969 Camaro "Reckn8"- LS7/C4 Front and Rear
      1965 Oldsmobile F/85 LS6 W/Maggie, 6-speed,Ride Tech, Baer brakes
      1978 Blazer 2 wheel drive with LS power
      1965 VW bug. All original
      1968 GMC short box
      1964 Buick Riviera

Just need to buy the conversion kit, and make it a proper Rally Sport. I believe Classic Industries even has a kit now.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      After the media blast, we discovered that the right side of the car had been smashed--- worse than we hoped. :(

Ouch! Bond-NO! ;)

Cool build and a perfect shop to do it! Looking forward to following along!

Tony Huntimer
      TestCarDatabase
      @Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellshotrodsAZ View Post
      Just need to buy the conversion kit, and make it a proper Rally Sport. I believe Classic Industries even has a kit now.
      Yeah we all didn't really care for the endura nose piece on the RS and wanted it to look a little more plain and clean in that respect. The other Rally Sport touch is the paint job. Anyone remember this scheme from the mid 70's Camaro RS?

We actually got this car from AZ believe it or not! There was no rust on the floor or roof, just a bit on the quarter panels and trunk pan. We didn't think it had been crunched so bad though...!

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance

Ready for a roof skin replacement:

Filling in the marker lights:

Quarters & roof nearing completion:

Ready for a trunk floor... Hopefully the LAST of the panel replacements!

SchwartzPerformance

if you're selling the steering wheel let me know! also very nice build, subscribed.
      67 Camaro CAM/C-prepared autocross Project
      72 Nova Street/Drag Car Project

Quote Originally Posted by bergers59 View Post
      if you're selling the steering wheel let me know! also very nice build, subscribed.
      We may not be selling the wheel unless you offer us a good deal ;)
      But hey we're giving the rest of the car away, did you not get that memo???
      SchwartzPerformance

so.. are ya going to use the Raybestos NASCAR brakes like the Roush that was built?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com