Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

1971 Nova Build

Hello, new member here. Always been reading this forum and now ready to post our build ( my 7 yr old ) who knows quite of bit about cars lol.

Bought the Nova back in 2011 for $3500 from a son who was selling his fathers vehicles when he passed. Sold my Chevelle that I built a while ago, cause drag racing in southern CA got to be too much. Here are a few pics of the all original, (still had the spare tire and manual) Nova before the tear down. Will post more and details of plan when I get a chance, doing this while at work enjoy

1971 Nova Build ??

Ok, photos not uploading from my iPhone. Damn. Anyone have any suggestions? Or will have to wait till I get home later. I'll read some more to try and figure this out.

Country Flag: United States
      Upload to a site like photobucket, then post the link to the image URL here.

Ok, got the photos going on this Woo hoo. I'll update with more tomorrow, getting late.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiquee71 View Post
      Ok, got the photos going on this Woo hoo. I'll update with more tomorrow, getting late.

Very Cool!! What's that thing under the dash?? Looks like a loud speaker, maybe a 1971 answer to a modern day big amp? ;) Lol.

Looks like a great project, as a huge Nova fan I'm looking forward to seeing more.
      -Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

Looks like a great car to start with. What upgrades are you planning?
      71 Nova
      LS3/T56, DSE subframe, DSE Quadralink, Wilwood brakes, Forgeline Wheels

1971 Nova Build ??

Update: Hehe it was a speaker connected to original stereo. Ok my plans for this build is to be a everyday car that can handle just as good as a new sports car and run a drivetrain of this time. Here are my goals for the Nova-

-Clean up subframe & re-weld all welds & seams
      -Ridetech front suspension
      -Speedtech Torque Arm rear suspension with ridetech coilover shocks.
      -Ly6 / Mast Cam swap, full length headers and full exhaust
      -4L80E tranny
      -Ford 9in rear end
      -Body mods include, firewall filler plate and fill holes, home made sub frame connectors, DSE mini tubes, fill in side lights, move gas filler between tai lights,
      -aftermarket fuel tank
      -Power windows
      -Wheels are yet to be determined after mini tub, but am looking at 18x11 or 12 for rear and 18x9.5 up front, tires 265 or 275 up front & 315 or 335 for rears
      -body work and paint will Not be done by me lol. Will be looking for a shop.

I'm sure I'm forgetting somethings, but here are some photos of the progress.

Sounds Awesome! Those wheel caps are what came on my granny fresh 73 Nova when I bought it, I loved those things, lol! Looks like you're well under way.

Thanks, we're excited you've chosen the Torque Arm suspension. It's a great way to go and eliminates the inherent issues with 3 or 4 link suspensions, keeps the rear solidly planted and is easy to install. Just curious, what made you decide to not use our matched front suspension? Are you going with air ride? Novas with the frame on the ground look wicked. If not, our Chicane coilover conversion kit would work great with a stock subframe and our super tough race quality and track proven control arms have stainless cross shafts, greasable Delrin bushings, and have extra caster built into them.

Are you going to keep it Yellow?? Hmmm, would look cool with some gunmetal centers and brushed lips for wheels and satin sheen gunmetal gray trim and bumpers, a cool graphic on the hood, ...

Our Custom Hot Rod Shop can tackle that paint and body work when you're to that point, give us a call and we can set you up with an estimate. Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. Keep the progress and photos coming! Looking forward to more.
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

Quote Originally Posted by Ben@SpeedTech View Post
      Sounds Awesome! Those wheel caps are what came on my granny fresh 73 Nova when I bought it, I loved those things, lol! Looks like you're well under way.

Thanks, we're excited you've chosen the Torque Arm suspension. It's a great way to go and eliminates the inherent issues with 3 or 4 link suspensions, keeps the rear solidly planted and is easy to install. Just curious, what made you decide to not use our matched front suspension? Are you going with air ride? Novas with the frame on the ground look wicked. If not, our Chicane coilover conversion kit would work great with a stock subframe and our super tough race quality and track proven control arms have stainless cross shafts, greasable Delrin bushings, and have extra caster built into them.

Are you going to keep it Yellow?? Hmmm, would look cool with some gunmetal centers and brushed lips for wheels and satin sheen gunmetal gray trim and bumpers, a cool graphic on the hood, ...

Our Custom Hot Rod Shop can tackle that paint and body work when you're to that point, give us a call and we can set you up with an estimate. Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. Keep the progress and photos coming! Looking forward to more.
      Thanks Ben, and I have been in contact with your shop when I was trying to figure things out before I started. I sold all that OLD stuff that was on the car that I knew I wasn't going to use. I going with ridetech cause of the whole package and simplicity of it. I know it doesn't make sense to me either lol, but wasn't sold on their rear suspension. No AirRide, coilovers. My son wants the yellow, says it Bumble Bee lol. Not doing yellow, not sure on color yet. I would love to have you give me an estimate, but I'm in Orange County, CA. Again thanks, and I will be in contact soon as the mini tubs are done, wheels fitted for measuring for rear end.

1971 Nova Build ??

Ok, I've had a bunch of parts including the subframe off to get sandblasted.

Picked up subframe from being sandblasted and getting ready to clean er up, weld and threw a quick coat of primer to use later for mocking up the drivetrain, suspension. Boy the welds on this frame are UGLY!!!!!! Don't know how these car held together all these years. Lets get to work.

wow looks great.....nice welds on frame
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

How much for the CLUB?... haha

Hello, new member here. Always been reading this forum and now ready to post our build ( my 7 yr old ) who knows quite of bit about cars lol.

Bought the Nova back in 2011 for $3500 from a son who was selling his fathers vehicles when he passed. Sold my Chevelle that I built a while ago, cause drag racing in southern CA got to be too much. Here are a few pics of the all original, (still had the spare tire and manual) Nova before the tear down. Will post more and details of plan when I get a chance, doing this while at work enjoy

-Bennyhaha

1971 Nova Build ??

Thanks Craigs73, yea the welds are much better
      now that I cleaned them up and filled up holes that the welders did back in days .

Hey LUV2XLR8 sure you can have the Club for FREE + shipping. ;)

Yeah, nice welding, just a little better than stock!! Looks real good.

Lol! I bet kids think any yellow car now is "bumble bee". Amazing how a simple movie can affect the course of history. If you need help with ideas we offer rendering and design services too. Hmmm, that yellow's kinda catchy, though ;).

Keep the pics coming!! Looking forward to more.

Deal!!!!!!... haha... keep up the good work

now that I cleaned them up and filled up holes that the welders did back in days .

-Bennyhaha

nice build! I wish I could weld like that. Also if you're selling the dash surround or the kick panels let me know.
      67 Camaro CAM/C-prepared autocross Project
      72 Nova Street/Drag Car Project

looking good ...... my first car was a 69 Nova I will be watching ;)

did you mig or tig? looks like you had some long beads going....i was worried about it getting to hot and warping some how....you notice any problems?
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

[/QUOTE]did you mig or tig? looks like you had some long beads going....i was worried about it getting to hot and warping some how....you notice any problems?[/QUOTE]

Sorry Bergers59 keeping that stuff cause they are in great shape.

I TIG the whole frame and was jumping around while welding with low amps. I took some measurements before I started and after it didn't move any. I was running no longer than 6in beads.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com