Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Volvo 122S(S)

Country Flag: United States
      I had to cut the the frame rail to accommodate the right header. Originally this wouldn't have been an issue but since I'm mounting the engine lower than most, it had to be done. This also gave me an opportunity to add a box across the width of the rail to give the subframe more structure to attach to. Check out the inner rail coating - Volvo quality at its finest.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Subscribed. Cool project!

I like to see different builds such as this!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

talk about a sleeper
      "Racing is life. Everything else is just, waiting"

Hi all! Although I haven't posted anything for a while I've been quite busy with the car. I'm blessed to have Dutchman Motorsports (axles) locally here in southern Idaho. They quickly talked me into changing my previously rebuilt and self-shortened Ford 8.8 from 28 spline to 31 spline. The mod was easily accomplished buy sourcing 31 spline spider gears from the local wrecking yard. After learning that my previously shortened axle was still too wide (55.25"), I left it at Dutchman to have it shortened and add large Ford 9" bearings and delete the C-clips. The stock axle is 53 3/4" and I thought the rear wheels with the 0 offset looked a little wide so I figured on a 53.0" axle width. While waiting, I thought I'd assemble the front spindles with the Wilwood brakes to see if the Mustang II based front suspension loosely kept the stock track width. I was told it would be only about 1/4" wider than stock. Unfortunately after assembly, the tires stick out another 1.5+ inches. I looks HORRIBLE! I immediately called up Dutchman and had them hold my order until I can figure out what to do with the wheels.

It looks like I'll have no option but to buy a full set of wheels and tires with significant wheel offsets (at least in the front). In addition to my tight budget, I really like my American Racing Torq-Trust II wheels. I am open to suggestions. I am sold on buying 17x7 front/17x8-9 rear. I also may have upper A-arm interference but we'll get to that later. The wheels I'm interested in are linked below.

AR Torq Trust II This is the wheel I'm currently running.
      http://wheelimages.americanracing.co...ished-1000.jpg

AR Torq Thrust SL
      http://wheelimages.americanracing.co...ished_1000.jpg

AR Torq Thrust M
      http://wheelimages.americanracing.co...6-00-10001.jpg

AR Rally (These may look really different with the original Volvo hubcaps or with the ones they come with.)

AR Salt Flats

AR Shelby Cobra SL
      http://wheelimages.americanracing.co...01-00_1000.jpg

Subscribed!

As for wheels, if you're having to buy new anyway, the Shelby Cobra would be my recommendation.

Pardon the long break in updates; I've been busy working on the car!

I don't know if you'd call this mini-tubbing or mid-tubbing when one slits the frame rail for the length of the wheel house. lol I felt I needed to do this in order to justify the work in cutting out the wheel houses. With the extra room I should be able to wear 275 size tires in the rear. I'm trying to keep this as sleeper-ish as possible so 255-275 sized tires are just fine for me.

Attachment 133751Name:  DSC01477.jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  185.5 KBName:  DSC01487.jpg
Views: 1839
Size:  186.1 KBName:  DSC01490.jpg
Views: 1823
Size:  214.2 KBName:  DSC01499.jpg
Views: 1823
Size:  214.4 KBName:  DSC01495.jpg
Views: 1891
Size:  210.8 KB

Here's the other side. Both sides are done, so I'll upload a couple pics of the finished result soon.

Attachment 133756Attachment 133755

This will be a fun sleeper car.

Looking good!

awesome project!!

Such a clean car, must be nice to cut into it and not find rust. I have always liked these cars, went to school with a guy that had one and fell in love with the style.

So, being in Boise have you eaten at Tucanos? I've been there on a couple occasions and when I travel I look for Brazilian where ever I go!

Nice job, I really like that body style..

Country Flag: Canada
      Very Cool !! Keep the updates coming
      Matt
      1967 Corvair - Project Sanity

I just get things done instead of talking about getting them done. I don't go out and party. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs and I'm not married, that leaves a lot of time for my work - Henry Rollins

No, I haven't heard of Tucanos. lol I'll have to check it out sometime.

Glad you're enjoying my build

Quote Originally Posted by RMMiller View Post
      Such a clean car, must be nice to cut into it and not find rust. I have always liked these cars, went to school with a guy that had one and fell in love with the style.

So, being in Boise have you eaten at Tucanos? I've been there on a couple occasions and when I travel I look for Brazilian where ever I go!

Switching gears now, let me show you what I'm in the process of doing in the interior. I don't care that much for the factory Volvo Amazon dashboard. Between the ribbon style speedometer, the lack of coverage below to hide HVAC and other goodies, no glove compartment and the $340 replacement dash pad, I found the perfect solution! A neighbor of mine over the fence told me about a '55 Chevy that he remembered seeing in a local wrecking yard some time back. Although the owner of the junk yard didn't even know if the car was still "way over in the back corner" of the property, there it was! To all the Tri-Five lovers out there, this car wasn't going anywhere. It had been there for the last 35 years! As you can see below, this is how I found my 'new' dash. Yes, that's a '57 on top of it

Cutting this dash out was quite a challenge since I had to rely on battery power to cut it out of the body on the car. It took 2 blades and 3-4 batteries, but I got it with my little Milwaukee M12 reciprocating saw! My only fears were the ominous semi-caved-in roof with the '57 Chevy above me and the abundance of sharp rusted metal. There's also not much floor room since mud and nastiness had crept in over the years. These more rational feelings of what the heck am I doing, were conveniently eclipsed by my excitement as well as the eeriness I felt surrounded by all these legions of yesterday.

First I had it blasted! Fortunately the rust wasn't too bad and it cleaned up nicely.

Then the original dash was screwed back on the car and then swiss-cheesed until I could overlay the '55 dash on top of it and then tack-melded, making it end up in a similar position as the original. Then the dash was cut in half and fitted, refitted and so on... It was quite a trick to get the crease in the front top of the dash to but-weld back together straight. It's amazing how well the front edge of the '55 dash fits with the Volvo windshield, especially considering how the '55's windshield has a reversed A-pillar! Later I'll be cutting the 'ears' off the ends of the dash and incorporate them into the door panels. But for the most part, it's all been plug and play.

Amazing fit! I agree- I would not have expected it to line up that well.

I agree, that looks like it was meant to be there, very pleasant surprise! The HVAC controls are also very similar.

That dash is going to look awesome when the car's finished.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast