Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Found integral airbag steering wheel, merits/dangers?

Picked up a get around car and in looking about at all the various things that can be done for it came across an interesting thing. It turns out that during the late eighties early nineties bmw had an retrofit airbag steering wheel that had (supposedly) all the sensors on board.
      I find it quite interesting because the only other one I know of was actually designed aftermarket and the company has long since disappeared.

So now the question, are you likely to save yourself or kill yourself by adding a wheel like this on? My first thought would be that given the inherent danger of our rides you can't really go wrong by adding a system like this. But if it goes off at a particularly inappropriate time I suppose it could be the thing that breaks your neck instead of saving it. If you could copy the available seating conditions of the car it was available in, and put some effort into insuring its position in relation to you in the event of a crash (at least to the same extent that bmw does with regards to structural strength from seat position to steering wheel) are you likely to end up with a safer car?

I would invest in belts and better seats. Then also steering collum that can collapses, I seen airbags go off at the wrong time in off road cars all the time. Also you need to add fuel cut off and a reset for it. Bad idea if you ask me.

Country Flag: Canada
      X2 ... plus its probably ugly lol
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com