Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1963 Corvair Sedan Pro-Touring Build

Over the past couple months I have decided that returning my corvair back to its former state would not due it justice. I have decided to make it better than ever. The story of myself and this car started at the tail end of my freshman year about 5 years ago. Like every teenager, I thought this car was the baddest thing around. As I started working more and more with cars I realized that a 84hp corvair was not a fast car by any means, but it was one hell of a cruisier and it was a blast to drive. By my freshman year of college I had the car pretty much how I wanted the car. It had bigger wheels, custom paint, a front air dam from a 69 Camaro, relocated battery, and a great sound system.

At the end of year, the car got vandalized. Some SOB keyed the roof. After that I lost interest in the car for a while, and now I am going to rebuild it to be quicker, faster, and handle better than ever before. The plan is to channel the body over a G-Body frame from a mid-eighties Monte Carlo, with a LS engine and a T-56 magnum trans. The body is also going to be redone. It will get a custom dovetail wing on the rear, works-style over fenders and fresh paint.

1963 Chevrolet Corvair Pro-Touring Project
      1964 Chevrolet Corvair Coupe Rat Rod/ Patina Thing
      2012 Mazda 3 I Sport Sedan

As a poor college student I don't have a bunch of money to spend at any one time, so I am compensating by working on the low-cost high-labor items first. My first project is the custom spoiler. No one makes a spoiler of any kind for an early model corvair so I am having to create a one off piece. I used craved high-density foam wrapped in AL foil as a base which is covered with fiberglass. It still has a long way to go but it is getting there. Name:  IMAG1021.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  293.6 KBName:  IMAG1047.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  335.4 KBName:  IMAG1058.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  180.4 KBName:  IMAG1059.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  190.0 KBName:  IMAG1061.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  154.9 KB

I finished the exterior rendering and design. Now I just need to finish the rear rendering and the interior design. Name:  E9BD51D9.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  124.1 KB

That is looking good. What are your plans for the car? Are you sticking with the rear engine setup?

Scratch my last question. I just learned to read. lol. LS with the car channeled over a Gbody chassis will be awesome. Good luck and make sure to post everything you can with lots of pics.

I will definitely keep this up. It will be my first full scale build and it will be awesome.

I got bored at work and designed a custom fender badge for the car. I think I will see what it would cost to make some up.Name:  IMAG0028.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  70.3 KB

Wow, it sounds like you're aiming pretty high on the budget and work. That's realistically something that a custom shop would take 1-2 years to complete so be sure you're having that talk with yourself that you'll be into that plan for many tens of thousands of dollars (even if the chassis and engine were given to you free) and a LOT of time and tools to get it done.

An alternative would be to go the Crown Chassis direction and stuff a V8 behind ya. Wont be as unique as your direction but would get you out on the track sooner.

With that said, I applaud the enthusiasm and thinking of something different!

Been there still doing that, the best advise I can give you is it is NOT a bolt on, their isn't anyone you can really ask....so make sure you are 100% committed to doing it. Also if you can't weld don't bother, get yourself a plasma cutter you will thank me later. You can do it with a torch and other tools but you will be doing so much cutting the plasma just makes sense. BRACE the crap out of the car before you gut it!! Spend a lot of time thinking about it, measure, and then think some more. Honestly I have spent more time measuring and verify fitment more than anything else. And if you want to keep a stock appearance, like I did then get ready for more modding. Everything you see in the engine photo had to be modded in some way down to the pulleys to make it fit for my application. You take for granted not having to measure where and how your pedals are going to hang from or how to get the SC to clear a stock hood...etc....I think you get the message.

Here is a photo of my LM and the motor for a little motivation. Its a 383/AFR heads/T56/Vortech SC/twin intercoolers. ........I'm in the sanding faze....

I am aiming at a ten year build due to funds and time. I know that this will not be cheap nor bolt together. That is why I am doing so much planing before I start cutting.

Good to know. I have 4yrs into mine and its now finally ready to be painted and put on the road with all of the mechanics worked out. If you need a hand PM me and maybe I can point you in the right direction. Mike Myers the guys who has the two LS vair's is a good guy he will respond with info too. Good luck.

Thanks I appreciate the help. I'm expecting a steep learning curve but that's apart of the fun

I finally got a chance to get a little progress done this week. I pulled the engine and drive train so I can start cleaning the would be trunk. I am also going to start working on the rear body of the car. The car was in an accident at some point in its life. Someone replaced the section below the bumper with fiberglass. I am going to repair the fiberglass and fill in the area where the grill used to be. I am planning on cutting a section out for center exhaust. I will post up pictures later. The forum is not letting me add photos right now.

Love Corvairs. It was almost most first car.

This one is inspiring: http://www.corvaircorsa.com/V-12-01.html

I saw that write on the Jaguar powered Corvair the first year I had mine. Since then I have wanted to do an unique engine swap.

It has been quite a while since I updated this thread. I have been busy working on my car. Progress is still slow but it is still progress. I have removed the engine, trans, interior and all trim. I have also started paint some of the trim in the stainless steel color plus I picked up a set of front seats from a e36 BMW. Right now I am just working on stripping the paint and straightening the body.

Name:  2015-12-16 10.06.27.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  375.9 KBName:  resize (2).JPG
Views: 766
Size:  801.6 KBName:  resize (11).jpg
Views: 691
Size:  128.4 KBName:  resize (10).jpg
Views: 714
Size:  493.4 KBName:  resize (8).jpg
Views: 702
Size:  433.7 KBName:  resize (5).jpg
Views: 778