Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Great Mustang project! What do you think of the fit and finish of the TMI door panels which look great.

I've been meaning to get this thing out for some good pics, but this thing has suddenly become the mechanical project from hell, and hasn't left my garage since Del Mar.

When I was driving it in California I noticed some vibration above 1200 RPM or so. Some trouble shooting led to the Centerforce clutch and other things. I pulled it out once, did some things, and it was better. Pulled the trans a second time and installed some dowel pins I learned the Fords run. Went to start it today to see if I fixed it, and now there's no ignition! It's looking like the MSD box, so I'll see if someone has one I can borrow to troubleshoot. If it is the box and I don't find a mildly used one that will work, I'm going to look towards another setup, not MSD.

This is on top of a brake issue. I plumbed all my lines and and drove around Del Mar for TWO DAYS without issue at all, traffic, stop, go, no issues. The next week after sitting I see a 6" puddle under my brake line at the flare where it goes to the RH front caliper. I tried reflaring 4 times last week, and each time it's a gusher. Tried a new rubber hose and still a gusher. Going to try a new steel line tomorrow and hope that fixes it.

I can thrash on this car and drive it around Del Mar California without issue. It sits in my garage and over the next 3 weeks it falls apart. I'm about at the end of my rope so far, this thing is CURSED.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Did a lot of troubleshooting, and narrowed it down to the factory Ford Duraspark magnetic pickup coil, MSD box is confirmed to be good. So hopefully I'll get it running again tomorrow, and be back to how I was 3 days ago!
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Dude I feel your pain!

I understand how frustrating that is when everything feels like its falling apart! Take a deep breath and remember how much you love old cars haha! Paint looks awesome! Keep at it man!
      Stephen S.
      1967 Ford Mustang 4.7L, T5

Looks great! I love coupes

Thanks guys! Luckily I did get a new pickup coil brought into the parts store yesterday. Took 10 minutes to put it on, and it fired right up! Now I can install a new brake line and finally bring it to the local cruise nights! Vibration is still there unfortunately. I'm thinking I'll have to pull the trans a THIRD time, and have the flywheel and clutch checked for balance. It's definitely a lot better than before. It used to rattle the dash. Now it's just barely noticeable around 1500 RPM, then it goes away when you rev past. We'll see what RPM's it shows when I drive it this weekend.

Nice car. Enjoying this thread.

Hi,

All the very BEST to your project. I'm a fellow Mustanger too.

Mine is an old & ugly '65 coupe, I called it " FANGs I "...

See it here ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssMko-t_TSM

Alrighty, time to finally update this thread! I was telling myself to wait until I get good real camera pics and not from my phone, but at this rate who knows when I'll have time. So anyways...

Last progress was that I did trailer the car to the Del Mar Goodguy's show and drove it around town with no issue, aside from a vibration in the driveline. When I got it back home I just had issue after issue. The driveline vibration was fixed after pulling the trans a few too many time. Something fixed it, between losing the weights on the Centerforce clutch, the using proper shoulder bolts, to using the dowel pins the previous owner had not used. I also had a huge brake leak I fought with reflaring a few times. Ended up replacing the steel line and it was fine, so there must have been a crack in the tube. Scary since I did drive it around Del Mar previously with no issue, this massive leak was found the next time I hit the brakes at home! My last problem was a bad pickup coil, no big deal there.

Anyways, Here it is at Del Mar.

Taillight bezels are hard to photograph, as the brushed aluminum blends into the paint of the stripe.

After I got the mechanical issues sorted out I was able to get back to cosmetics. Here is the Raydyot mirror installed on the first side.

Wiring was completed for the Dakota Digital VHX cluster. This setup is awesome! From now on if they make a set for a vehicle I'm building, I'll use it!

Some more shots in my driveway, might see some of the back panel detail a little better.

Underhood detail still needs to be done, replace the Ricky Racer Blue wires with black, resolder pickup coil wires, and maybe difference valve covers, I'm not sure on that yet.

Driveway shot.

Now that it was solid mechanically, I was able to take it for a 4 mile test drive by my house first. That was successful, so I too the 45 minute drive to a weekly show at the Scottsdale Pavillions with a buddy and his 70 Camaro. The car performed flawlessly, and was actually quite a pleasure! It's awesome to get over that hurdle of being a troublesome P.I.T.A. and become a good car!

It did so well, I took it out the following Saturday as well, once again a great drive!

So now the car is about 95% done. Next step is to remove the seats and carpet again so I can install DSE subframe connectors. Once that's done I can finish the sill plates and kick panels, and stereo wiring to wrap up the interior. Then I have a pull down trunk latch to retrofit, and underhood detail then it's pretty much done!

It's been a fun build, that's for sure. I wanted to take an underappreciated, and underbuilt car and build it to a level not typically seen. The reception on this car in person has been overwhelmingly positive. I've had people who don't normally like early Mustang coupes, let alone Mustangs come to me and say how much they love this one. That's what makes it all worth it to me.

Looks Great!! Nice work!!
      '66 Mustang Fasback build in progress
      '01 F250 Platinum Edition - 1 of 2482
      '12 Mustang Boss 302 #806

Great work and it looks awesome.

Congratulations on a terrific job well done !! The car looks fantastic

Bossed

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments! I'm almost done, I want to post interior pics but it's not 100% together as my intent was to pull the carpet again so I can install my DSE subframe connectors. I've been putting them off for awhile now, as the 110 degree heat, plus welding on my back is kind of... very not appealing to me right now!

This does look great, nice work!!
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Progress has been slow during the hot summer months, but we're starting to see temps under 100 degrees, so I'm gradually working in the garage again. I managed to get the DSE subframe connectors installed, which wasn't a bad job. I'll have pics of that later. Also going back and doing final details on the interior I neglected before to get it done for the initial thrash, stuff like speakers, wiring, glue the carpet down, etc.

My project last night I'm pretty happy with. This trunk always shut kind of hard, and there's no weatherstrip in yet. So I decided to integrate a pull down latch from a 90's Caddy Deville. All in all it wasn't too bad, about 2 hours to get it to the point shown below. The upper latch portion bolted right in. That's it, no work there. The lower one I had to fab an "L" bracket to adapt it to the factory sheetmetal. I got everything working with jumper wires to make sure it all worked, and after some height adjustment and tweaking, all is well! Next is to fabricate a cover to hide the fairly bulky motor, and run and hard wire everything. Not as much a performance mod, but I'll feel a lot better not having to slam this fiberglass decklid all the time. Plus an electric release is nice too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxphIIAA7FU

I know what you mean about wanting the heat to leave! I can only run the A/C in my shop on the weekends so my progress has been pretty slow lately as well.

I like your idea for the trunk latch. My neighbor had a 91 Camaro with a similar system for the rear hatch, it worked pretty well. Just make sure you don't leave a screwdriver under the lid when you go to shut it, it's not easy to get it back out haha
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Quote Originally Posted by WallaceMFG View Post
      I know what you mean about wanting the heat to leave! I can only run the A/C in my shop on the weekends so my progress has been pretty slow lately as well.

I like your idea for the trunk latch. My neighbor had a 91 Camaro with a similar system for the rear hatch, it worked pretty well. Just make sure you don't leave a screwdriver under the lid when you go to shut it, it's not easy to get it back out haha
      I used to try to work in the garage, but I've realized this year just to... well, not. Haha. I had a portable a/c unit and it didn't do much unless it was in your path. Might try a port a cool next year.

And the Camaro was the same idea, but an entirely different system. It worked well if maintained, and/or rebuilt which I've done, but the Camaro system had complex tracks that would break. The Cadillacs were a self contained motor, that had a simple screw drive on the catch. I'll take some better pics throughout the week as I'm detailing the trunk, the next task. But I've always hated having a nicely done car with fresh weatherstrip, requiring a hard slam to shut. I've appreciated the F-body one even more with the lack of one with the heavy hatch on my 98 T/A, that one takes some velocity to get shut!

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellshotrodsAZ View Post
      Alrighty, time to finally update this thread! I was telling myself to wait until I get good real camera pics and not from my phone, but at this rate who knows when I'll have time. So anyways...

Last progress was that I did trailer the car to the Del Mar Goodguy's show and drove it around town with no issue, aside from a vibration in the driveline. When I got it back home I just had issue after issue. The driveline vibration was fixed after pulling the trans a few too many time. Something fixed it, between losing the weights on the Centerforce clutch, the using proper shoulder bolts, to using the dowel pins the previous owner had not used. I also had a huge brake leak I fought with reflaring a few times. Ended up replacing the steel line and it was fine, so there must have been a crack in the tube. Scary since I did drive it around Del Mar previously with no issue, this massive leak was found the next time I hit the brakes at home! My last problem was a bad pickup coil, no big deal there.

Anyways, Here it is at Del Mar.

Taillight bezels are hard to photograph, as the brushed aluminum blends into the paint of the stripe.

After I got the mechanical issues sorted out I was able to get back to cosmetics. Here is the Raydyot mirror installed on the first side.

Wiring was completed for the Dakota Digital VHX cluster. This setup is awesome! From now on if they make a set for a vehicle I'm building, I'll use it!

Some more shots in my driveway, might see some of the back panel detail a little better.

Underhood detail still needs to be done, replace the Ricky Racer Blue wires with black, resolder pickup coil wires, and maybe difference valve covers, I'm not sure on that yet.

Driveway shot.

Now that it was solid mechanically, I was able to take it for a 4 mile test drive by my house first. That was successful, so I too the 45 minute drive to a weekly show at the Scottsdale Pavillions with a buddy and his 70 Camaro. The car performed flawlessly, and was actually quite a pleasure! It's awesome to get over that hurdle of being a troublesome P.I.T.A. and become a good car!

It did so well, I took it out the following Saturday as well, once again a great drive!

So now the car is about 95% done. Next step is to remove the seats and carpet again so I can install DSE subframe connectors. Once that's done I can finish the sill plates and kick panels, and stereo wiring to wrap up the interior. Then I have a pull down trunk latch to retrofit, and underhood detail then it's pretty much done!

It's been a fun build, that's for sure. I wanted to take an underappreciated, and underbuilt car and build it to a level not typically seen. The reception on this car in person has been overwhelmingly positive. I've had people who don't normally like early Mustang coupes, let alone Mustangs come to me and say how much they love this one. That's what makes it all worth it to me.
      Fantastic build! You have some skills and incorporated some really cool features to this mustang and the colors look great together too.

Don't know how I missed this build, great job! Is the car complete now?
      Eddie

These are 17x7 up front with which backspacing? I have the same mods as you up front and that's what I am looking for

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com