Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

A Clean Shop Is the Sign of a SICK Mind!

Kudos to all you guys that can keep a clean and organized shop!

The Garage/Shop threads are one of my favorites as it is so interesting to see the creativity and enginuity of many of our members when it comes to the design, build and equipping of their shop.

Now my question.

Does your shop ALWAYS look perfect & clean with EVERYTHING in a specific location or are those pictures when you Shop/Garage was new or your shop after the MAJOR cleanup for the photo session???
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Country Flag: United States
      This picture should answer that question... :D

I'm trying to make mine easier to keep clean. I'm horrible and not cleaning up and putting away the tools when quitting for the day. After a 2 or 3 day project...it can get pretty messy.

I've found the trick is to have a designated spot where everything goes and lives...that is also easy to find and put back when done. I'm not 100% set up that way yet, but I'm getting there. Just no where near enough storage available for everything.

My other desire is for a designated "dirty area" to do welding, grinding, drilling, fabricating etc.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Now that's a shop!!!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

I try to keep mine clean but it's too small and gets cluttered easily. I'm working on scrapping my parts cars and organizing the parts I'm keeping. One thing I did to keep things looking more tidy is buying a bunch of totes to keep stuff in rather than ugly card board boxes. I picked up all these black ones at Walmart after Halloween. They were on sale for $4 ea. I just bought a bunch of red ones today that were on sale now that Christmas is over.

Traven

I find it easier to focus on the task at hand if things are neat and organized. im not super anal about it, but its not uncommon for me to spend an hour organizing and putting tools away.
      Justin Snow

This is what my shop looked like when I went out to finish up my body bushing project yesterday.

I did spend about 15 minutes cleaning tools back up and organizing things before diving in to finish up the job.
      Lance

I have spent the last 10 years with a nightmare of a garage, so that I finally had to do my own intervention.
      This was my garage before.

It's not finished yet, but this is what it looks like now. I have found that I clean up now before I leave the garage everytime.
      Makes working in the garage a pleasure, no matter what it is.

Looks nice but... What'd you do with all of your stuff???

I've found the same thing, that it's easier to do a quick clean up and get it right again, if you stay on top of it. I'm typically too tired or hurried to do it before I leave the shop, but every third or fourth time back into the shop I spend the first 10 or 15 minutes and clean up, put all the tools away and start again fresh. It does help.
      Lance

Here is the other wall. Everything went in drawers, cabinets or put in the attic for storage.
      Plus I got a big ass cabinet from Craftsman to hold all the paint and other stuff.
      Here is the link to the build thread. http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189511
      Great info and people at the Garage Journal site.

APS63, you can come by my place anytime.

If I can walk through it, it doesn't need cleaned.

I am not the neatest person alive, and my home garage can get a little rough, but my professional shops are always neat and clean. I used to be a service manager in the marine industry, and I figure a customer looks at a nasty shop and thinks "if these guys don't care about taking care of their stuff, why would I think they will care about mine".

Every time I take over a shop eyebrows get raised when I shut it down for a day and clean/organize/scrub the place from top to bottom. Tech's tend to balk at my daily / weekly cleaning requirements, but once it becomes a habit they all seem to get neater about everything. Techs with tools piled on their cart start wiping down their tools at the end of the day and putting them away in their box.

Like I said, my personal life isn't always orgainized, but I have proven time and time again that a clean and tidy shop is more efficient, safer, and more profitable. Some will disagree, but it has worked for me.

reserving my space pics to come, Jan 14, just got my 38x38 metal building up, total disorganization going on right now,
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

What are you guys seeing for best bench height??

I'm looking to build 4 benches at 40" final height, witch is what my Mac box is, looking for suggestions, thanks
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

Country Flag: Canada
      I can't remember how high mine is, but I do remember building it so the top is just a couple of inches below my elbows. Makes for a comfortable working height when standing.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

About 5 years ago, I could use my shop pretty much as a shop. THEN,..."I'm getting divorced (not me!) and need someplace to keep my stuff until I get my own place!", AND also, "bro, we sold our house and I need a place to store the stuff from my shop." ! That led to this:

I'm SLOWLY returning "stuff", throwing junk out, and rearranging!

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by aps63 View Post

Loving all of that door storage~!

Thanks, this is absolutly the BEST cab I have ever had.

Planit Oahu, Hawaii if you don't belive me check shipping prices
      I know that this is old as Hell,
      But
      when I lived in Hawaii, I had so much Stuff packed into a small 2 car garage was amazing! Everything had its place! use it and put it back. Leave one thing out and a disaster was short behind.
      Moved to TX and the plan was to build a shop, never really made a home for things and my Garage is all ways a disaster!! well not for much longer! My shop is going up!! 50x60 with a 20' roof extension, should be up in about 2 weeks then electrical, and lighting. then lifts, and storage for every thing!!!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com