Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

68 Camaro Project "Home School"

So last year I picked up my 68 Camaro Base Coupe with theplan to do a quick interior redo, brakes and paint. Unfortunately when stripping out the interiorI discovered rust in both the front and rear floor boards. With a small two cargarage and limited funds, I blocked and leveled up the car up and startedcutting. It didn’t take long to realize thesawzall was not the tool of choice. Afterfinding a used 120V plasma cutter on craigslist, the floor came out quickly. Using a side grinder and spotweld bit, I cleanedup all the edges in preparation for the new one piece floor. To sheda little light inside the car I installed a 4 foot light down the center toilluminate the floor. With some careful measuring I then discovered that thesub-frame needed to come out from under the car in order to install the onepiece floor from the front. So off camethe front clip and the sub-frame with motor/tranny. I did take the time to have the sub-frameblasted and a buddy weld up the seams since it was out of the car anyway.
      The new floor is now positioned in the car, but it needs alittle trimming and fitting before final welding. That is the point I am at today after 12months from starting the project. Hopefullynow that the holidays are out of the way I can spend a little more time in the garage. Once the floor is completed, I plan toinstall DSE mini tubs then take the body off to be blasted. I also stumbledacross a used LS1/6-speed combo last summer that I picked up for a pretty gooddeal. That will go in sometime in the spring , if all goes well. It’s all about time and money. Can’t afford to hire the work out and don’t havea lot of time to work on it with all the family activities that go on.
      The overall plan is to add 4-bar rear, coil overs, newa-arms with coil overs, 18” tires/wheels, big brakes front and rear. Most of my ideas have been picked up over thelast 12 month from reading this site and others have accomplished at home. The car will become a daily driver so that I canleave the Duramax in the driveway. We arelearning as we go, hence a “home school” garage build, with expert assistance as needed.
      Here are some pics of the progress so far, will post more aswe go.

Attached Images Attached Images                    

32deucecoupe,
      Great job on the progress so far, i love seeing garage built cars (dont get me wrong, the megabuilds are neat, but out of reach for a lot of us). Im interested in seeing more progress pics as time permits, these 68's are growing on me more and more, keep up the good work!!

Dig the home build vibe! keep going, its were I built mine

Thanks guys, hopefully the weather here in Denver co-operates, can only weld or grind with the garage door open due to fumes getting into house (per the wife) and with an unheated garage I like it to be at least mid to upper 30's to be comfortable.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  168.4 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  202.6 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  128.7 KBName:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  190.4 KBName:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  223.5 KBSo the floor is finally finished and now that summer camping and trips are out of the way the mini tubs are in progress. I hope to be complete before the end of the month depending on the honey do's, then tackle the frame and motor. I did pick up the Holley motor mounts, crossmember and oil pan over the summer so fitment should go well. I continue to wonder if it will ever be finished..

Bought my steel plate today, let the boxing match begin..

So after taking 2 years off from this project, the tubs are completed and I am wrapping up the final welds. Started wire brushing the trunk area this weekend in preparation of the seam sealer and raptor lining for the bottom of the car.

Also picked up ridetech front suspension including the truturn setup, so as soon as the bottom of the car is lined I can start putting the suspension back under it. Still debating what brakes I will be using, leaning towards Kore3 C5 kits to keep it simple.

I will post more picks soon.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com