Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need advice....

Country Flag: United States

Need advice....

At the risk of jinxing myself, I will go ahead and as the questions...LOL

I just put an offer in on a house and it has a 30x24 garage. It has a single 16 foot door and then an area of the side that has an access door. There is electricity there and a few lights and not much else. This being WI, I know that I will need to insulate the space if I want to use it anytime besides the 8 weeks they call summer.

I also have the following in my head:

1. Wash and maybe epoxy the floor.
      2. Run a couple of 220v outlets for welder, air compressor.
      3. Heat? Gas? Electric?
      4. More lights

Any an all suggestions are welcome!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Were in WI?
      What about a wood burner? Im thinking about one and a gas heater to just stay above freezing.
      That epoxy floor stuff gets super slippery when wet like from slush under cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 1truckguy78 View Post
      Were in WI?
      What about a wood burner? Im thinking about one and a gas heater to just stay above freezing.
      That epoxy floor stuff gets super slippery when wet like from slush under cars.
      I will be moving to Oshkosh.

I don't know about a wood burner. Seems a little like a log cabin...LOL

I am not entirely sold on the floor coatings. Coated floors sure look nice, but I am concerned about spills and whatnot. This isn't going to be a garage for parking, but more of a down and dirty shop where I can relax and do various projects.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Country Flag: Canada
      Then just do a simple painted floor...give it a good scrub first of course. Now for insulation... I just did a 24x24 Roxul insulation for the walls and blown in cellulose in the ceiling. Don't forget sofit vents when doing the ceiling. I used 8mil poly as vapour barrier, tuck tape all seams and around boxes, 1/2" plywood on walls and drywall on the ceiling. Got a great deal 50$ for a 9x7 garage door and a friend spray foamed it for me for a bottle of the gross jack daniels stuff...lol.
      If you got a source of free wood....skids etc...then get a wood stove now it will he more for insurance, gas is probably the cheapest route in the long run and safest
      Good luck and keep us updated..with pictures lol
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Thanks for the advice guys...keep it coming.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Andrew I'm doing a mini version of this right now. Four weekends and it looks like I've gotten nowhere, lol. Props to Mike Wright (hotrod69 I think?) for his help.

I'm skipping the floor mods. I don't weld (yet) but don't want to have it looking like crap after all the effort. IMO it's a garage and I'll clean the floor as I go. One other suggestion I'd make is to lay out as best you can in order to figure out oulet requirements.

Another thing I decided on was cheap cabinets, but nice industrial workbench tool storage. I'm horsetrading on Craigslist to get that right. Takes patience.

Shelves where possible to get everything off the floor that doesn't live in cabinets. Storage tubs clean this up too.

Are you going to run air drops?
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

Used to be known as flash911

On lighting, one end of my pole barn is set up as a 30' x 17.5' shop with 11.5' ceilings. When I bought the place, it had six incandescent light fixtures on the ceiling which were pretty inadequate. I thought I'd have to redo the lighting with long tube fluorescent fixtures. Until then, though, I wanted to improve the lighting.

I recently discovered some 4,000 lumen CFLs at Home Depot that screw into my existing fixtures, and the six of them are equivalent to having about 16, 100 watt bulbs in the shop. They are close to instant on, but not at full brightness - once they get going though it's very bright in there.
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.in.SoCal View Post
      Andrew I'm doing a mini version of this right now. Four weekends and it looks like I've gotten nowhere, lol. Props to Mike Wright (hotrod69 I think?) for his help.

I'm skipping the floor mods. I don't weld (yet) but don't want to have it looking like crap after all the effort. IMO it's a garage and I'll clean the floor as I go. One other suggestion I'd make is to lay out as best you can in order to figure out oulet requirements.

Another thing I decided on was cheap cabinets, but nice industrial workbench tool storage. I'm horsetrading on Craigslist to get that right. Takes patience.

Shelves where possible to get everything off the floor that doesn't live in cabinets. Storage tubs clean this up too.

Are you going to run air drops?
      I might just pressure was the floor and leave it alone. I've never been super crazy about epoxy floors because I am concerned about durability. I mean, can they really stand up to a rolling floor jack or jack stands digging in? Brake fluid also seems to remove the coating.

I am not going to get a bunch of cabinets, maybe just a few here and there. I think some heavy duty industrial shelves would be more appropriate and functional. A big workbench is a must. I was thinking about building my own and then having a local sheet metal company top it in stainless of galvanized steel.

I think having some air outlets would be handy, but I use mostly hand tool and will probably get a few battery powered impacts for quick disassembly work.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
      On lighting, one end of my pole barn is set up as a 30' x 17.5' shop with 11.5' ceilings. When I bought the place, it had six incandescent light fixtures on the ceiling which were pretty inadequate. I thought I'd have to redo the lighting with long tube fluorescent fixtures. Until then, though, I wanted to improve the lighting.

I recently discovered some 4,000 lumen CFLs at Home Depot that screw into my existing fixtures, and the six of them are equivalent to having about 16, 100 watt bulbs in the shop. They are close to instant on, but not at full brightness - once they get going though it's very bright in there.
      Good tip! There are 2 8" lights already in the shop but I was thinking about adding 2 or 3 more. You can never have too much light!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

There are companies that make led conversion bulbs....I'm getting some for my 4x4' will end up costing me about 200$ but really bright no flicker and not affected by colder temps

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

How about something like this? How do you know how many you need?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-...stomer_reviews

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Good tip! There are 2 8" lights already in the shop but I was thinking about adding 2 or 3 more. You can never have too much light!

Andrew
      I have 16 8 foot fixtures in my 24x40.....
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Hey Andrew, head over to www.garagejournal.com Do some searches.
      Lots of info on everything you are asking about. I can give you some pointers also. Being in Michigan I deal with cold 8 months out of the year.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Andrew yeah sorta like that the ones I got look exactly like a fluorescent tube but are led to wire them all I had to do was remove the ballasts as away I go. I didn't know how many I needed my garage just happened to have 4 fixtures with 2 -4' each. Two other things I built a "closet " for the compressor 2x6 walls around it lined with 2 layers of Roxul insulation two vents one on the bottom and one going into the attic. They allow for fresh air and help keep it from overheating. Most importantly...quiet. The second thing is don't be afraid to weld up some bars for any windows and lag them into the structure of the garage, on man doors replace the hinge to door jam screws with 3" screws and on the handle side I put a piece of 3/16 " steel from the floor to top of the door and also lagged that into structure so there is no way in hell anyone can kick the door in

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Get a wood burning stove/heater, don't have to be a big one for that size, but you'll fall in love with it after you use it a bit. It's a little dirty, takes up a little space and you gotta cut or buy wood. But the heat is incomparable on a cold day when you or to warm up your butt or hands! LoL! I wouldn't mess with the floor unless its a POS, but I would recommend running more power outlets everywhere!!
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

I love my epoxy floor. Keeps the dust down, makes spills easier to cleanup and brightens the place up, even when I'm under the car. There are very few chips in my floor. But it's not like untreated concrete is impervious to damage. Brake fluid has never been a problem but I don't let it sit for days either. A little grit in the epoxy helps with the slippery issue. Concrete paint will come off.

I'm not much for the wood burning. I've always wanted an infrared overhead heater. I saw some at sema that we're nice
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

I have some insight on "spot heating". I have a couple of lathes, a drill press, and misc. other metal working tools in my shop. I used to use a kerosene heater to warm it while I was out there working in the winter. One of the issues with "spot heating", especially in the fall and early spring, is condensation. Warming things up for short periods of time was causing so much surface rust on my expensive tools I spent more time cleaning them then I did using them. If you plan to have any kind of machine tools or expensive equipment in the shop I highly recommend forced air heat, either NG or propane.
      The other issue is cold tools. I find it much nicer to go out to a shop that is already warm. I keep my thermostat set at 51 or 52 degrees. That is warm enough to go out and putter for a few hours after work at night and it doesn't break the bank for heating costs. If I know I am going to be out there all day I set it up to about 60. That's plenty warm for doing most things on a cold winter day.
      Full time heat has many advantages over spot heating. No condensation, the tools are warm, the room is warm, and it is MUCH easier to go out there to work when everything is warm.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Thank you all for your input. I realize that everyone has their preferences and that is what I want to hear. The house has NG for it's forced air heating system, so I am assuming that running a line 20-30" to the garage shouldn't be a big deal. I think at this point I would prefer a NG forced air system. Like Mark noted, I can keep the garage at a reasonable steady temperature and then maybe bump it up slightly when I am actually out there.

Mark, any advice on some tools? I've never really had any sort of "serious" tools, not even a drill press. I think a nice drill press and a welder is on the wish list, but please let me know what other things you have found indispensable.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I agree with you mark....that's why I went way overboard on insulating the attic space in my garage lol its like. A r50-55 they had a deal on at home depot buy so many bags of insulation and the machine rental was free, couldn't resist figured insulation was cheaper then heat so I insulated the s**t out of it

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I agree with what Mark said above about forced air heat. I have a 25x31 garage with a natural gas forced air unit regulated by a thermostat. As Mark said, the main advantages I've found are the temperture adjustability and heating consistancy in the space and especially the equipment. It can get too cold for too long around here and with the winter we just went through I'm pretty certain I wouldn't have lasted long out there on some days with just a spot heater.
      Mike Bahr

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com