Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

73-87 C10 Front K Member No Limit vs QA1 vs DSE vs ?

Hi all, I am in the planning stages of a 76 Blazer 2wd serious PT build. I am looking at a complete front crossmember kit, but would like some feedback if anyone has any experience with them. I am leaning more towards "racecar" vs "cruiser" as far as performance. The No-Limit one w/ the splined front sway bar and revised geometry really caught my attention. Any info/feedback is appreciated. I would like something even more hardkore like a Sweet Manf steering rack w/ heim joints and adj control arms, but have not found anything like that. Truck is going to be semi-daily(yes, I want a square Ferrari) and I am building a sleeved block LS that will make around 700whp NA. LMK what y'all think

Scratch the QA1 off the list.
      Have you looked at the speedtech setup? If the budget allows that is a hardcore setup that has the Sweet rack.
      If using DSE I really prefer the Brian Finch style setup that uses the taller spindles then what the DSE truck kit uses.
      No Limit is pretty standard for the go fast truck crowd.
      The TCI setup should also be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      Have you looked at the speedtech setup? If the budget allows that is a hardcore setup that has the Sweet rack.
      If using DSE I really prefer the Brian Finch style setup that uses the taller spindles then what the DSE truck kit uses.
      Thank you, will give the SpeedTech a look, but their stuff is usually so overpriced, it better be something insane. Will contact DSE, also. Thank you for the heads up, did not know they offered different versions.

So I picked the most popular truck with all the choices for suspension and I got One guy who chimed in(btw, thank you to CSG)...

I guess this forum is dead after all. Sad, I liked it here.

Unfortunately I think a lot of members don’t come over to trucks, they stay on Project Updates.
      Just my opinion. They even post the trucks over there.

If I was going with more race car for my build with 700 hp on tap id likely be looking at a full frame from one of the major players. Give no limit or level 7 a call, I know level 7 has experienced some different setup over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      Can you please give more info of the " Brian Finch style setup" for the DSE system? I was allso looking for the DSE speedmax for my project and did noticed how short the spindle was.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie racing View Post
      Can you please give more info of the " Brian Finch style setup" for the DSE system? I was allso looking for the DSE speedmax for my project and did noticed how short the spindle was.
      He uses the universal DSE front kit on his own "Alien" chassis. This gives you the more common DSE geometry with the tall spindle.

Has anyone done a 3 link w/ Watts link on a C10 chassis? Everything I see is 4 link/panhard.

Quote Originally Posted by DualQuadDave View Post
      Has anyone done a 3 link w/ Watts link on a C10 chassis? Everything I see is 4 link/panhard.
      I really wish this sub-forum was more active. I have a similar question going in the suspension forum now. There are a LOT of options for suspension systems out there, but it's tough to find details on how they compare to each other. At least for someone like me that only has a superficial understanding of how the components affect handling and/or ride quality.
      Dude are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

I used to have one of those Blazers. They're great rigs that did what they were designed for very well. Carrying people and going offroad they're wonderful, as a race car not so much. Plenty of potential though, especially with that 3900ish lb curb weight so here's some general advice based on my experiences with them.

I'd look seriously at doing a full frame rather than add-ons. The factory frame is heavy to begin with, and it flexes quite a bit. The fix is to box the frame which just makes it heavier. A new built for racing frame will solve the flex problem while also dropping weight. The factory frames also have the unfortunate habit of cracking around the steering box mount.

For a fixed axle I always liked a triangulated 4 link (stock in the GM A-bodies like the Chevelle) as a good all-rounder. Of course no suspension is perfect for all things in all ways, but it'll self center so no need for a panhard, and does decent for weight transfer during drag racing. It's also lighter than other linked suspensions due to no centering parts like the panhard or watts. Even the stamped factory 4-link handled pretty well although aftermarket upgrades really help with it. You can also do what I'm theoretically doing - stick a Corvette front and rear suspension under it. This sets you up with an independent rear suspension that should handle really well, and you can get a rear differential and axles that can handle the power from G-Force. Independent rear suspensions don't do weight transfer very well so you'll give up some performance at the drag strip in favor of handling and ride comfort. I picked up a C5 front and rear from Fleabay for a decent price, but C and C7 Corvette suspensions are also available.

A suggestion, do something about the fiberglass shell. The shell looks pretty slick on them but that thing is huge, heavy and high up, and it tries to drag you over by the ears during hard cornering. A newer fixed metal roof Tahoe (I also had a 1996 2-door for a while) is better in this respect. I don't know if it would be possible to graft one on or not. Or, look into replacing the fiberglass shell with carbon fiber and a roll cage, although that will cost quite a bit.

Good luck on this, and I hope you start a thread under the projects. Dodge383fi is right, nobody really looks at this one. I also hope you keep the box fenders instead of downgrading to the 81-87 front clip as the 73-80 front looks a lot better.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Definitely check out TCI Engineering. I just got their setup for my '85. Haven't installed it yet but I've watched their blue "in-house" truck wax the field. Made me a believer, I can't wait to get this installed. They've got both 4-link and torque-arm options for the rear and can accommodate just about any rear axle setup

Name:  IMG_7732.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  437.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7702.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  410.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7710.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  111.7 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com