Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Quote Originally Posted by caddyman6062 View Post

If anybody knows where I can obtain a shortened rack/pinion suitable for this car, I'm interested!
      Attachment 115190
      I have used a MG Midget rack, they are very narrow cars. Front track with is about 48".

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by slantscamp View Post
      Hey guys. Thanks for the comments, it's good to get feedback from others. I know the engine is set pretty far back, but there were a few things I considered when placing the engine. The most important we're getting the engine low enough that my u joint angles won't be crazy with the short driveshaft. Moving the engine forward would mean I would have to move it up to clear the steering joint and it would have made the working angles too great on the u joints. The other thing was leaving enough room to get the steering shaft up and over the frame. Unless I did some crazy stuff with lots of joints to go under and around the bottom of it. I could redrill the adapter plates to move the engine about 3/4" forward, but then it's really close to the steering shaft and I want a little wiggle room to make it for around whatever headers I use (most likely I will have to make some) I had to put the motor mounts on the frame where I did because if the engine was further forward, the poly engine mounts would hit the frame. ( hopefully that makes sense). I did mock up a cardboard firewall though, and I had pretty good leg room. The car had tons of room when it was stock, I even had to adjust the seat forward and I'm 6' tall. I may move the seat back and inch or two if I have to. So to make a long story short. I could move it abou 3/4". But looking at all the factors I had to put the engine where everything would work, and I guess I will have to deal with the legroom. But hey, shouldn't it help handling a bit?
      You gotta do what you gotta do....

About time for another update!

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut1959 View Post
      Was wanting to know where you ordered your frame from I have a 54 Metropolitan Nash convertible and I'm in the process of putting either a new front end underneath it or going with the existing front end that's underneath it but I keep reading about the bad handling that's a metropolitan is notorious for I'm going with a 2.3 Ford motor with the automatic transmission in a 9 inch rear end but obviously I want to go with the best option for the steering and handling

Quote Originally Posted by signal20hack View Post
      I have used a MG Midget rack, they are very narrow cars. Front track with is about 48".
      I was told about a place called unisteer that they can custom build you a rack and pinion for whatever size you need

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut1959 View Post
      Was wanting to know where you ordered your frame from I have a 54 Metropolitan Nash convertible and I'm in the process of putting either a new front end underneath it or going with the existing front end that's underneath it but I keep reading about the bad handling that's a metropolitan is notorious for I'm going with a 2.3 Ford motor with the automatic transmission in a 9 inch rear end but obviously I want to go with the best option for the steering and handling I'm running to make it a daily driver somewhere I can drive anywhere not just a car shows

Frame Info

Quote Originally Posted by 54metnashconv View Post
      Was wanting to know where you ordered your frame from I have a 54 Metropolitan Nash convertible and I'm in the process of putting either a new front end underneath it or going with the existing front end that's underneath it but I keep reading about the bad handling that's a metropolitan is notorious for I'm going with a 2.3 Ford motor with the automatic transmission in a 9 inch rear end but obviously I want to go with the best option for the steering and handling I'm running to make it a daily driver somewhere I can drive anywhere not just a car shows
      If you read back early in the thread, he bought it at Art Morrison Enterprises. https://www.artmorrison.com/homepage2.php

Hope that helps

That is awesome. How far apart are the front rails? Hub to hub measurements? You are doing a great job. Keep us posted? A little help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I am running a quick ratio mustang II rack that I believe is flaming river, came with my front end suspension from Dale's Resto out in California. He has them custom made for tigers, and they are narrow. The mg midget / triumph Sprite rack was an older swap used in tigers as well. I am really happy with the new rack, much smoother, and quicker.

Awesome.

Any chance that I could get the inside measurement between the front rails. (Where the engine sits) It would be greatly appreciated.

Hi slantscamp i first found your build thread on bangshift so I thought it would be a good idea to join the club any updates on the Nash ?

Metro frame

Mind if I ask where did you get the metro frame / or did you build it ? Thanks Mark

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com