Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1966 Chevelle steering arm, washer or no washer?

Soooooo I'm having an internal debate on this.

as I was installing my new Proforged steering package, tie rods etc.etc. I noted that the top of my steering arm had a pretty decent sized indent the the nut would tighten down into the indent. It seems to me that there should be a spacer/shim/washer there, that would sit inside the indent and have the nut sit up above. the washer would provide the required structure so that the ball joint could not move around and the nut would well , torque everything in place.

This picture shows what appears to be a washer of some sort.

Name:  ATS.jpg
Views: 1917
Size:  54.4 KB

Sorry about the blur, didn't know the pictures were that bad!
      My steering arm and tie rod end , no washer, and I think there should be one, just seems odd to have the nut drop down inside the arm.
      Name:  Photo Oct 17, 12 28 19.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  214.1 KBName:  Photo Oct 17, 12 27 26.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  222.5 KB

Comments, opinions, sizing if you have gone through this yourself, or leave it, it's as designed, do or do not do a washer it won't matter, or?!

Thanks
      Tory
      Last edited by cactuss4; 10-21-2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: apology for quality of pic

Livermore, CA
      American:
      1966 Chevelle SS "Tribute" Retro / Pro-Tour
      For Sale

There was no washer from the factory and I have done our cars both ways. I hate the thought of the nut gouging up fresh powdercoat so I have used really thin stainless washers before. As long as you still have room for the cotter pin you will be fine.
      Last edited by tommycomfort; 10-21-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling error

Thanks tom

Glad I'm not so far out on my thinking! Appreciate it.

Tory

Livermore, CA
      American:
      For Sale

And it would have to be a pretty thin washer with the proforged sized ball joints. Could not get a grade 8 washer in there and keep the tq numbers to an acceptable limit that would allow the cotter pin to fit. So no washer..

Front suspension is done, really like the pro-forged stuff, seems to be well done, easy straight forward replacement and should make my front end feel that much more stable.
      Tory

Livermore, CA
      American:
      For Sale

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com