Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 68 GT500KR Vert

Country Flag: United States
      What size exhaust are you running from the collectors back? Nice job tucking the mufflers up underneath the vert. I've got a 67 Vert and getting the exhaust tucked up underneath the car is a job. I kept all of the original convertible supports under my car as well as the sub frame connectors so it does make it a little crowded under there.
      2007 MB/RennTech S65
      1967 Modded Mustang Vert
      1972 Bronco Sport
      1950 F1 Truck
      See my rides at www.fquick.com/DJMabe

nice wheel selection in the rendering...I am running very similar on my 65 Fastback.

It's a 3" Magnaflow Stainless Steel Exhaust from the headers all the way back to the tips - we had to widen the rear valance for the exhaust tips - working on it today:

Big Update

First the orders - lots of parts - love the black Friday / cyber Monday sales:
      * The rest of the interior, carpet, dash pad, console, door panels, vert top frame parts, top hydro lifts, etc
      * Backup, side marker, and license plate lights, gaskets, etc
      * 3 Point seat belts for front and back
      * The Hydratech Braking Systems - but I'm having it machine to use the CNC master cylinder I have - heard they work really well together
      * I found engine compartment panels already made for the Rod & Custom front end kit, plus firewall and cowl vent patches - and they are very fairly priced compared to having them custom made:
      http://www.mustangstofear.com/catalo...ry=sheet_metal

Car Updates:
      * Rear Valance has been shaped, fitted and welded on
      * All the Fiberglass is being fitted and cleaned up this week - will be bonded on
      * Engine compartment sheetmetal and front frames will be finished in the next week or so.
      * Car should be primed by the 20th and color in Jan.

UPDATE:
      The Engine Compartment Inner Fender, Heater Patch, and Cowl Panel patch panels came in today. I dropped them off.
      - The passenger door has been patched and repaired
      - The side scoops and ground effect fiberglass has been mounted on both sides.
      - the back end is looking good.

Driver rear side ground effects done - so we figured out I need to modify the left side FuelSafe cell now that I fit the dual 3" exhaust tips - never realized the fuel tank isn't centered. I need to cut out the left hand side a little to clear the tip and tig in a new piece of aluminum. I guess that's the price of custom body change.

The front frame rails are gone! doing them over again, weren't done right the first time - not by these guys - They checked them - they were a 1/4 inch higher on one side than the other - I could tell just by looking at them, they checked with a level - I have a weird eye for that.

The '68 Shelby is def on my list of cars to build before I die. Good luck with build!
      Greg
      1976 Trans Am SacrilEdge
      twin turbo 455
      Ttops and 4spd
      one of 110 made
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ect&highlight=
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ilEdge-is-free!

Front frame rails are in progress - the entire engine compartment should be complete this week:

Updates

The front frame rails have been replace from the suspension point forward, radiator support is in place and the upper fender support sheet metal is in place. The engine compartment panels need a little fitting and should be done soon. The Mustangs to Fear sheet metal was pretty good, few issues, but not bad.

I measured out the new radiator and sent Ron Davis the drawings for a custom build, 4 weeks to build, should look sweet!

I order Shelby fiberglass hood springs from Cobranda - they did not work, way to strong, will be ordering Ring Brothers Air Frame Hood Hinges instead.

The engine is coming out next to finish up the firewall smoothing and fill in the cowl vents. Not long till it's in primer. Decided to paint the entire car red, even the engine compartment, it's easier on the painter to do one color - I didn't care.

Also need to modify the fuel cell, it's in the way of the exhaust tips, found a local guy to do some welding and fitting - need to quote still. I'm hoping it's not a issue to notch the cell - since it's just a plastic liner inside I hope it doesn't cause an issue to just allow the liner to be a little crushed when put back in the tank?

Also going to ask him to flowjet a different convertible plate - had to add spacers to it for the 3" exhaust to fit, I don't like it, asking him for a quote to make me one like the Hotchkis plate - maybe cut out GT500KR where Hotchkis is on the sample.

Mustangs To Fear sheet metal is almost done - cowl panels, heater box, inner fender replacements.

Smoothing the entire firewall - opening up the radiator support to fit the new radiator. Figuring out what holes stay and what ones go. Need to run the gas, brakes, engine wires, light wires, steering, and ignition wires. The rest get closed up.

Also figured out, rather than cut the tank so it doesn't block the exhaust tips, we can raise the tank an inch or so and the exhaust tips clear.

68 GT500KR Vert

Love the wheel choice. I want to get a set of the CS69 but I want to stagger them an they don't make them wider unless I go with a 20 an I don't want to do that.

Good to hear you found someone willing to get it finished they way you want it... Congrats.

It's getting there. The guy is doing a great job. I'm really hoping by March the car will be painted and ready for assembly.

Went down to check on the car today

- the guy working on mine has been out sick the last week - no progress.
      - dropped off some more parts
      - talked to the owner
      - most of the body work is done
      - he's going to put the car on the rotisserie soon and then get a bunch of suspension, brackets, engine, and other parts together to drop off at the powder coaters, also getting the headers and extensions to X-pipe ceramic coated, most likely the oil pan and intake too
      - the Canton pan's coating eroded away and the intake manifold was powder coated - but some spilled gas ruined the coating.
      - found a local place that can do all of the coating, took a long time to find someone other than JetHot to do it, I just don't want to ship it all out

Having a Fab guy come by the house in a little while to talk about building a new convertible support plate - making it drop instead of being flat to clear the exhaust.

The car has been stripped and will be getting primed this week. Need to pickup all the suspension parts and engine parts to get coated.

The new Center Support Plate has been designed - will be built soon. He's also going to cut out "SHELBY" on the sides of the plate.

The car is back apart - final fitment and block sanding before primer. Parts are off for coatings. The custom support plate and Y subframe have been completed and fit. The fabrication guys is working on finishing up the welds and adding support brackets to strengthen the new subframe components; it came out awesome!

here's the update:
      * Finally got Ron Davis to design, build, and ship the Radiator - it's a month late - I ordered it in December, was told they'd have it to me by the 1st week of Feb because they were behind - it just shipped yesterday after many phone calls from them promising it was being built and shipped every day for the last two weeks. Will be here next Weds.
      * Ordered the Hydra Tech Brake Booster - shipped them my CNC master cylinder to machine and fit. Will be here in 2-3 weeks.
      * Dropped off the parts to be ceramic and powder coats last Monday, should be done next week.
      * My Summit parts order came in in two days - new intake, exhaust, and oil pan gaskets. Needed for the parts I pulled off the engine to have coated. Also ordered a nice billet Ignition Wire Loom.
      * Custom center plate and Y subframe component is done and delivered - the guy did a amazing job. He spent way more hours fine tuning and fitting it to the car then I expected.
      * The driver's side interior engine compartment panel is installed. Body guy just has a little more clean up on the front end then it goes into the booth for primer.
      * I should have all the parts in for the engine by next weekend, so I want to paint and assemble the engine & trans completely at that point.

If anyone needs a convertible center plate that supports up to a 3" exhaust or would like something custom - my guy has the cad design and template done: https://www.facebook.com/16weng or http://www.16w.biz/
      He does absolutely amazing custom work at a great price.

The Ron Davis Radiator has finally come in - order it in December, was promised for 1st week of Feb. The Fuel System has come in too.

Wow, what an ordeal to get to this point, but you are going to have one very special car when it's done.
      1960 Biscayne
      Steve

I think I have almost all the parts now, Hydratech brake system came in, new brake lines, battery cables, battery, battery tray, all the cooling system parts, bunch of little stuff - which all adds up to a lot of money.

The car is mostly in one color now, few more tweaks - finishing raising the fuel cell up to clear the exhaust, few more holes on he firewall to close up, then block sanding by the end of the week, should have color by the end of next week. Viper Red with Pearl Shelby Lemans and side stripes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com